PDA

View Full Version : Goopy eye discharge

Courtney
06-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Well I've noticed a few of the dogs have some yellowish-green goopy eye discharge. I first noticed it in Elena, who is also having some kennel cough symptoms. She and the other dogs are acting just fine. Soooo...do I wait it out? Or go to the vet? And who do I take to the vet? I have noticed eye discharge in Milo, Thor and Clyde...Napoleon has crusty discharge as always b/c of seasonal allergies but I haven't noticed extra goop. One of our other foster homes had this sort of thing happen last year. The uber-paranoid part of me is screaming DISTEMPER! DISTEMPER! but at the same time I'm not so worried. Everyone's UTD on vaccines, even though I know those are never foolproof. Maybe I will take Elena's temp though....any thoughts? (Please know that if anyone started acting sick I would take them to the vet asap!!)

Patt
06-15-2006, 12:08 AM
I would take Elena to the Vet, she appears to be the weakest of all. Since you do rescue, I'm assuming your vet will examine her and since the others are showing symptoms he would (hopefully) give you meds for all. My vet has done this on occasion. Perhaps he/she will prescribe antibiotics for the K/C and eye meds for everyone. It would be better to get started now and instead of waiting for full blown problems. JMHO

catstamm
06-15-2006, 12:14 AM
You must have a great Vet Patt....down here the vets cringe at rescues andf we pay full price.

Jacqueline
06-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Well I've noticed a few of the dogs have some yellowish-green goopy eye discharge. I first noticed it in Elena, who is also having some kennel cough symptoms. She and the other dogs are acting just fine. Soooo...do I wait it out? Or go to the vet? And who do I take to the vet? I have noticed eye discharge in Milo, Thor and Clyde...Napoleon has crusty discharge as always b/c of seasonal allergies but I haven't noticed extra goop. One of our other foster homes had this sort of thing happen last year. The uber-paranoid part of me is screaming DISTEMPER! DISTEMPER! but at the same time I'm not so worried. Everyone's UTD on vaccines, even though I know those are never foolproof. Maybe I will take Elena's temp though....any thoughts? (Please know that if anyone started acting sick I would take them to the vet asap!!)

Sounds like conjuntivitis. Take Elena, let them look at her. Naturally, it's contagious, just like in people. Daisy had it when I brought her home, but only in one eye. The vet gave me a tube of medicine for it, and it took care of it. Don't let it go, tho. You don't want to let it get worse and have them digging at it.

Tex
06-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Julie has the eye goop (we call it eye boogers), but when I took her in the vet told me she checked out fine and it was probably allergies.......not good with advice here, but sending anti-goop and cough :bigrayz: !

Anatresia
06-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Rigby gets gooey eyes ALL of the time. It's so gross, and the Mommy in me has to take care of it. Paul won't touch that.

The fact that it's discolored on your dogs worries me some. I think clear (white) is okay, but colors usually mean a cold or sinus infection in humans. Don't know if it's the same with dogs.

Jill
06-15-2006, 08:22 AM
We were at the vet a few weeks ago and I mentioned that to the vet, and he said it was allergies. And that I could use regular visine on the boys. It was a greenish color. But if your nervous about it, maybe call the vet first?

areese
06-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Sounds like conjunctivitis-if it's greenish and really goopy. Owen caught it from my sister's dog in March and we just got some eye drops and it cleared up really fast. Laika never got it but she doesn't really stay close to Owen. Owen had been wrestling with my sister's dog and they rubbed their heads on the floor. A friend of mine said I could have just used visine but....
I'd take one dog in and get the drops or whatever for all. I actually didn't take Owen in, just described it to the vet and got the stuff but since you have new dogs coming in a lot maybe it would be good to have it looked at?

oceangirls
06-15-2006, 11:22 AM
color of mucus has more to do with how long it has been in the body than what it has in it (bacteria vs virus for instance), but if you're seeing it in all of them, I agree - would probably take Elena in and tell them you're seeing the same problem in the others.

and tell the paranoid part of you to stop screaming "DISTEMPER!" :D But don't speak to it out loud, or people will really start to wonder

quavec
06-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Cricket had this - not so green tho - and the vet said it was pink eye. Gave me some junk to put on it and it went away in a bout a week.

Courtney
06-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Well I noticed Miss Elena was having SNOT - gross - so off we went to the vet this morning. I told the vet the other dogs had eye goop too so she said since they are vaccinated, we're going to think (and pray) Elena has an upper respiratory and not distemper. So she got antibiotics and eyedrops which yes will be shared with everyone (the eyedrops). I took her in before work and then brought her in with me even though dogs are not allowed in the building! Shh!! She is very quiet. I have her in the Sherpa. I think she feels safer in there. I brought her bed and put it under my desk but she wanted to look around too much. I will take her home at lunchtime! I took her across the office to meet my former co-workers and they all thought she was beautiful. :) She was sweet with them as usual!

Tex
06-15-2006, 12:55 PM
I hope Miss Elena feels better soon!!! Congrats on sneakingher into work.....just what any good mudder would do!

Patt
06-15-2006, 12:55 PM
:crossfin: and paws in CA that Elena has nothing more serious than a UR.
It is so difficult taking in these little ones b/c you have no idea what they have been exposed to before you see them. Probably best to keep her confined to the Sherpa.

Sending mega healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to your whole crew. I hope they are doing well soon.

Special :hug99: :hug99: for the beautiful Elena! :hearts: :hearts: