PDA

View Full Version : Max has decided that he doesn't like to be outside

blueyezz74
06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
He doesn't like to go anywhere outside of our fenced in area, including the grass. He will pull and pull on the least until we finally go in or i pick him up. I think he's afraid of being outside. Every sound has him looking around or jumping. Last time I took him for a walk, a truck drove by and made lots of noise. Well, Max started to run the other way while he pooped himself. :rotfl: It was funny but I felt bad for him.

Not sure how to handle this one. Harley is just the opposite. He rather be outside and go for walks.

Tex
06-16-2006, 12:43 PM
That's a tough one.....I know there's good advise for this one, I'm just coming up blank right now. Let me think on it......

blueyezz74
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
I should add that's he's almost 8 months old.

Tex
06-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Ok, have you moved recently? Or has anything tramatic happened like fireworks or really loud trucks outside? Just gathering info. so I can help with this one....

blueyezz74
06-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Nope nothing has changed. I'm stumped.

Courtney
06-16-2006, 12:52 PM
It sounds like he could be going through a puppy fear period? You need to work with him and make sure not to reinforce his fears by coddling. Don't try to push him too much, just take little steps. Like if he goes on the grass, tell him what a good boy he is, then don't try to get him to do anything else he doesn't want to do....baby steps!

catstamm
06-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Courtney's right again.... do you have a copy of the book "Cesar's Way"?

Chris
06-17-2006, 10:09 AM
On the bright side...the good thing is that if someone comes by and accidently opens the gate...you won't lose him. He'll stay in his yard.

The downside is obviously no walkies.

It could be fear...but the other idea...is he could be an Alex in the making.
He could just very protective of "his property". And being very young, he sort of is now settled into the idea that he doesn't just sleep there...that he is a protector of the family even though he is little. It is his "duty" even if he is not too sure about it. The downside of that is you get a dog like Alex who you have to pick up and drive to another location and thats when he will actually walk!! So its not all good.

Ollie does the same thing as he does...if a blade of grass that was pushed down by his own feet suddenly pops up and hits him or a grasshopper jumps up in his face...he used to jump like he was very startled. But he really has grown out of it now. He is still very curious at almost 3 years old and watches things with the curiosity of a young pup, but we got him when he was a month younger than Max and everything in the world was all so new to him. I think part of it might just be something he will grow out of, but part of it you might want to watch like Courtney says.

blueyezz74
06-17-2006, 11:33 PM
courtney, I think you're right. If he could, he's drag me back to the safe area of our small fenced in area. he'll go outside just not outside the gate. any sound from an animal has him looking around.

Ahhh...baby steps.