PDA

View Full Version : Well! I guess he likes it dry!

Red Haired Girl
06-18-2006, 04:18 PM
We have been having a heck of a time with Mitch. He won't eat breakfast and will grudgingly eat dinner only cause he knows there is some small meat samples left from our dinner in his bowl. I have changed foods countless times trying to find one he likes. He'll eat them for awhile then turn his little black nose to the sky. This has been going on since we brought him to live with us.

I didn't even bother to fix him his breakfast this morning because I knew he wouldn't eat it. I have even told DH not to give him breakfast since it was going to waste. I'd come home from work and there his breakfast would be, all soft and gross.

You should have seen the look on his face when he didn't get breakfast! So I threw a scant 1/4 cup of food in his bowl. I sat it down for a second to set my coffee cup down and he ATE IT DRY! The snot likes his food dry! After all this time and all the begging him to eat!

Little black nosed snot!

lotsadox
06-18-2006, 06:39 PM
:lol: I swear they do these things on purpose just to get us! :rotfl: :rotfl: At lease what he likes is easy! :banana:

JanUet
06-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Just put the little black snot nosed bowl down for 20 minutes, when he doesn't eat it, lift it up. Don't give him anything until his next meal time. Do the same thing again and again. He will not starve himself! I promise!

I used to do the same thing you did. I learned to be tuff!
YOu did good this morning :appl: not giving in! :appl:

But since I changed both of my black snot nosed furkids to Nautre's Variety Medallions.....they dance for their food.

:goodluck:

Michelle
06-18-2006, 09:10 PM
:appl: :appl: Woo Hoo Mitch,, good boy!!!!!!
I bet he will keep eating his dry food if you try that little trick and pic it up after 20 minutes,,

Lisa
06-18-2006, 09:13 PM
It's so funny how we cater to them, and they just like it nice and simple!

Glad he's eating though. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jen
06-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Too funny!! On days Tasha's guts are gurgly in the am she sometimes won't eat--or only eats the hardboiled egg but not the kibble and berries. But she's never turned down the raw medallions at supper!

phoria2
07-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Too funny!! On days Tasha's guts are gurgly in the am she sometimes won't eat--or only eats the hardboiled egg but not the kibble and berries. But she's never turned down the raw medallions at supper!

Nathan's tummy sometime get "gurgly".........it very loud sometimes. What does it mean? Hungry? Upset tummy??? :scratch: :scratch: I'm not sure what to do when I hear it........

Lee Anne
07-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Greyson used to have the gurgly tummy too and would skip a meal or two on those days. Ever since the vet put him on a low residue diet, he's a new dog! Not ONE bad tummy day and we used to have at least one episode a week!

We use IVD Duck and Potato. HTH - Lee Anne

Patt
07-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Nathan's tummy sometime get "gurgly".........it very loud sometimes. What does it mean? Hungry? Upset tummy??? :scratch: :scratch: I'm not sure what to do when I hear it........It's probably just normal. :) Other thoughts/suggestions....
Does Nathan have any other signs besides gurgling noises in his tummy? Is his belly swollen or there any sign of vomiting? All dogs have bacteria in their systems to aid digestion. Possibly he is experiencing a shortage of some necessary bacteria and that is what is causing the gurgling sounds. One suggestion would be to add a bit of plain yogurt (no sweeteners) to his food, this will aid his digestion. Another possibility involves the frequency of his feedings. How often do you feed him? You may want to feed his daily ration in three feedings per day rather than two. Also bolting down his food can tend to make the stomach gurgle from a build up of gas.

Patt
07-25-2006, 11:08 PM
:cheer2: :cheer2: Yay for Mitch, he knows what he likes. :crossfin: he continues to eat his kibble dry. If not use the tuff luv that JanUet and Michelle suggested!

phoria2
07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
It's probably just normal. :) Other thoughts/suggestions....
Does Nathan have any other signs besides gurgling noises in his tummy? Is his belly swollen or there any sign of vomiting? All dogs have bacteria in their systems to aid digestion. Possibly he is experiencing a shortage of some necessary bacteria and that is what is causing the gurgling sounds. One suggestion would be to add a bit of plain yogurt (no sweeteners) to his food, this will aid his digestion. Another possibility involves the frequency of his feedings. How often do you feed him? You may want to feed his daily ration in three feedings per day rather than two. Also bolting down his food can tend to make the stomach gurgle from a build up of gas.

Thanks! :hug99: :hug99: I'll try the yogurt!
I have been worried about him for a few weeks now. He's been looking very thin (he's 10.2 lbs and 1 yr) ever since I transitioned him from puppy food (Pro plan puppy for small breeds) to adult (Nutro lamb and rice).
He's eats fine most of the time (although neither Abby or Nate always eat their breakfast in the early mornings. They usually go back to bed!) :banana:

I took him to the vet and they tested blood and feces for worm/parasites so no problems there. He doesn't have diahheria or vomiting. He has plenty of energy ( ot as much as his sister tho':scratch: . He just looks very THIN! I can see most of his ribs and spine.
I tried giving him more food (their both getting ~ 0.75 to 1 cup total a day in two feedings) but he doesn't want more so I've started giving him Nutro high energy formula (with higher protein/fats than regular). Now I've had to be a feeding Natzi to get him to eat all of his and make sure Abby does not get into his food. (She's small (~8lbs) but perfectly proportioned now). How long should it take to see if it's working or am I just paranoid???? :confused: :confused:

catstamm
07-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Just put the little black snot nosed bowl down for 20 minutes, when he doesn't eat it, lift it up. Don't give him anything until his next meal time. Do the same thing again and again. He will not starve himself! I promise!

I used to do the same thing you did. I learned to be tuff!
YOu did good this morning :appl: not giving in! :appl:

But since I changed both of my black snot nosed furkids to Nautre's Variety Medallions.....they dance for their food.

:goodluck:
ITA ...but your nicer tham me JanUet....they only get 10 mins :rolleyes:
I think the food favorite around the Stamm Famm is "Solid Gold, Barking at the moon"!

Jen
07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Tasha gets yogurt with both meals so its not that. Its more like she does a big #2 or a runny one and then everything needs to adjust in there.

Have you thought about Evo for Nate? High protein, low carbs, very rich. Tasha loves it!

Patt
07-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Kristy, I sent you a PM.