View Full Version : I have a question... Ok so it's 4 questions

Da Brat
06-19-2006, 11:31 AM
1.) Every now and again Trixie will scratch at her muzzle. She won't do it a lot or for very long, so maybe it's just an itch... She hasn't been chewing on anything so nothings stuck in her mouth.
2.) She shakes her head and whole body pretty frequently, like every 10 minutes or so... She's supposedly on Frontline and my guys are on Advantage so I don't think it's fleas...
3.) She's only gone poo once since I got her Saturday night... Now she didn't eat at all Saturday or most of the day Sunday, until I offered her some Pedigree that mom had left over... Ick, I know.. I'm going today to get a sample of Nutro to see if she'll eat that. But when she did poo it was HUGE!! And I don't mean volume, I'm talking diameter! This thing was huge even for a people poo and part of it was white.... So I'm also going to get some Laxatone for her...
4.) Since she has taken her gigantor poo she's been dragging her butt on the carpet... What do they do this for?!!? I know somebody was talking about anal glands before...

I know I'm probably being overly paranoid, but I just wanna make sure I stay on top of things!

areese
06-19-2006, 11:54 AM
HHMmm.......
Have you checked her ears? If they look red or there is dark stuff in there or if they smell (yeah I know it's gross but give them a sniff) yeasty or yucky, she might have a little ear thing going on.
I wouldn't give her laxative or anything. Let her settle in and get eating regularly, then if there's a problem, it can be treated. Pumpkin, green beans...those are all good roughage things for her to eat if she's constipated. But more likely she's just messed up from all the changes lately and from not eating. Boiled hamburger and rice is my cure-all for upset tummies and evil poo. maybe she'd like some of that?
They can drag their butt cuz their anal glands need to be expressed or maybe she irritated her butt with the gigantic poo?

Jen
06-19-2006, 12:03 PM
1. Tasha scratches her muzzle often, especially after she's been sleeping. If its not excessive it may not be anything unusual.

2. Yes, Tasha shakes a lot, several times an hour. I think its a doxie thing. Especially after getting up and after having her harness taken off, or being picked up...Do check her ears though.

3. Was the white in the poo mucus? She could be constipated. I agree, add some 100% pure pumpkin to her food, or some veggies like cooked green beans or broccoli.

4. The scooting could be anals, or it could be her booty is irritated from the gigantor poo.

Patt
06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Please list all of your questions and have her checked out by a vet. This way you will know exactly what to do. All new pets should have an exam as soon as possible. As Amy suggested, she could have ear mites or an ear infection, she may have a problem with one or more of her teeth and her anal glands need to be expressed. Her system has to get use to your routine. Please NO Laxtone, that is for cats. Also Trixie needs time to settle in, try not to rush things. When switching foods, remember to do it gradually. Find a good kibble and stick with it. Feed at certain times so she gets into a routine of eating and elimination. Routine is very important for all pets.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
1. If she scatches at her mouth, she could have food trapped between her teeth & cheek, happens alot with mine.

2. Head shaking, mine do it often too. If the ears are clean & no smell it' s OK.

3. The poo, could be something she ate. Or constipated.

4. I would guess maybe her butt is sore...if it' s the anal glands she will lick herself too.

Being overly protective is not a bad thing, unless you stress alot for no reason! Also, questions are how you learn! We won' t think you' re stupid!!!!

Da Brat
06-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Please list all of your questions and have her checked out by a vet. This way you will know exactly what to do. All new pets should have an exam as soon as possible. As Amy suggested, she could have ear mites or an ear infection, she may have a problem with one or more of her teeth and her anal glands need to be expressed. Her system has to get use to your routine. Please NO Laxtone, that is for cats. Also Trixie needs time to settle in, try not to rush things. When switching foods, remember to do it gradually. Find a good kibble and stick with it. Feed at certain times so she gets into a routine of eating and elimination. Routine is very important for all pets.

She was supposedly just vetted recently... So should I take her again just to be on the safe side or give her a couple of days to settle in to the new routine?

Da Brat
06-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Thank you all for your information. I will go buy some pumpkin tonight and give that a whirl... Is there a certain amount?! I don't wanna give her the runs or anything..

Jen
06-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Yes, since she came to you from another foster and was already seen by a Vet, odds are better that she's healthy, but things can crop up. Maybe ask her previous foster mom?

Patt
06-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Having an exam is always a good thing. But since you said she was just seen by a vet I would wait. Unless you think it is a big proglem, dragging her butt more, ears are red etc. Possibly, she just needs to settle in. She has had quite a few changes in her life up until now so her system especially her digestive track might be out of "whack". Please have patience. Dogs and cats love routine so try to get her into a schedule that meets with yours.

Like I said routine is everything in their life especially when housetraining. :)

p.s. It's also possible she could have a worm or two and that's why she is dragging her butt. Ask the prev foster mom when she was wormed.

Da Brat
06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Having an exam is always a good thing. But since you said she was just seen by a vet I would wait. Unless you think it is a big proglem, dragging her butt more, ears are red etc. Possibly, she just needs to settle in. She has had quite a few changes in her life up until now so her system especially her digestive track might be out of "whack". Please have patience. Dogs and cats love routine so try to get her into a schedule that meets with yours.

Like I said routine is everything in their life especially when housetraining. :)
I don't want anybody to think I've lost patience, that's most definitely not the case. I'm just worried and want to make sure I'm doing the best I can to get her regulated.

Patt
06-19-2006, 12:48 PM
You are doing good, I didn't mean to imply you were losing patience... sorry!

I think you are doing just fine!! So relax and enjoy your new furkid.

Jen
06-19-2006, 12:51 PM
You're doing great Amanda! Just a worried new mom, we understand!

As for the pumpkin, I give Tasha anywhere from a teaspoonful to a heaping tablespoon full. Its low cal, and fills them up!

catstamm
06-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Well I haven't read through the posts so you may already have this advice but, Shaking the head that often could be ear infection, foxtail etc.
Scratching the muzzle....teeth or tooth problem, what do her teeth look like.
Eating....dogs will sometimes not eat in a new enviroment and I would not give in ....if she goes to days then I might mix a little rice with the kibble.
If she's not eating she won't be pooping.....Don't give her laxative....
Isn't she a foster? Have you talked to the organization about all this? Did she have a vet check before she came to you?
All questions are good questions...hang in there and try not to worry to much!

Alex's Mom
06-19-2006, 01:17 PM
:hug99: :hug99: Amanda!! I can SO understand how you're feeling...it's all new, and you're not too sure what to look for. ITA with everything that's been said so far...but if you're worried, why not just give your vet a call? Often they can just have a chat with you (and they don't mind!!! Really!) and you can see where you're at. Often they can set your mind at rest over the phone. I'd also give her previous foster mom a call...a wealth of info on her normal routine. Poor little thing though, she's been through SO many changes, and really really really stressful ones, if she's not used to human contact. Kinda like being a little kid lost on a busy street...lots of helpful people (hopefully :rolleyes:) but you just don't know them well enough to trust them. As for the megapoop, Alex will do that sometimes when she's really stressed...not go for a day or two, and then BIG...like lab size. Don't ever think any of your questions are stupid, hear??? How else are you going to learn? (And don't forget to ask your mama...with 8, she's probably seen it all before :rotfl:). You're doing fine, kid, it just take time! Give Trixie a pat from Alex and me...:hearts: :hearts: us red smooth girls gotta stick together, says Alex!!

Patt
06-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Did the prev foster mom give you any history on Trixie? Such as her habits, vet visits, vaccine injections, wormings, HW test and prevention and what food she is eating? This kind info would help.

Da Brat
06-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Did the prev foster mom give you any history on Trixie? Such as her habits, vet visits, vaccine injections, wormings, HW test and prevention and what food she is eating? This kind info would help.

The paper work got mixed up so I don't have it yet... I'm trying to wait until i get it so that I can see what all has been done and so forth.

I figured out the eating thing while I was at lunch today... I put a small bowl in her crate and put her in it and she started eating just fine!!! :appl: :appl:

So maybe that's what she's used to! Her ears are clean and so are her teefies! According to Diane she just had a dental done so that may be why her gums are a little red.

areese
06-19-2006, 02:32 PM
That's great! Once she settles in and is eating regularly and feeling comfortable, I think everything is going to be just fine.
Give her a kiss from me and the Weens, K?

Patt
06-19-2006, 02:48 PM
I figured out the eating thing while I was at lunch today... I put a small bowl in her crate and put her in it and she started eating just fine!!! :appl: :appl:
:woohoo: Fantastic, one problem solved. :appl:
Take one day at a time, you will discover lots of things about each other. :sausage:

oceangirls
06-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Great suggestions. Angel rubs her paw on her nose/mouth a lot - she tends to tear threads out of toys and get them stuck between her teeth so sometimes that is the problem. I would try to transition her food slowly from whatever she has been eating (if you know what that was) to whatever you'd like to feed. Anal sacs (not really a gland, but commonly called anal glands too) - the dog may drag the rear end or try to bite at it (or chase the tail), it might look red and swollen back there, or you might notice an unpleasant smell & leakage... if the problem persists once her GI tract has calmed down, an expressing might be in order.

If she's just been to the vet, I don't think you have to get her in urgently. But depending how long she's going to be with you :) you may want to set up a visit with your personal vet (if you have one you like) just for a quick check and to get her comfortable with being examined.

Da Brat
06-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Great suggestions. Angel rubs her paw on her nose/mouth a lot - she tends to tear threads out of toys and get them stuck between her teeth so sometimes that is the problem. I would try to transition her food slowly from whatever she has been eating (if you know what that was) to whatever you'd like to feed. Anal sacs (not really a gland, but commonly called anal glands too) - the dog may drag the rear end or try to bite at it (or chase the tail), it might look red and swollen back there, or you might notice an unpleasant smell & leakage... if the problem persists once her GI tract has calmed down, an expressing might be in order.

If she's just been to the vet, I don't think you have to get her in urgently. But depending how long she's going to be with you :) you may want to set up a visit with your personal vet (if you have one you like) just for a quick check and to get her comfortable with being examined.

I think I might go ahead and do that next week, just so he can meet her on some what pleasant terms versus and emergency...