View Full Version : Oscar in the heat!

Kerie
06-19-2006, 02:57 PM
(No, not "in heat." I mean outside in THE heat!)

He pants so much when he is outside! We had a BBQ yesterday. He was lying down on our deck while people were eating (not a very Oscar thing to do). The heat must have made him so lethargic. He was only interested in drinking a little bit of water. Even when he got inside, where it was cool, he still just wanted to rest. Maybe it's good that his body tells him when to stop. Poor guy is black and very shiny. That can't help. We walk him, so he is not out in the heat alone. He is much different when it is hot outside. It seems that some dogs are not affected as much as he is.

Oh, also, we got him a kiddie pool and I can't wait to set it up. He likes to swim at the beach.

Michelle
06-19-2006, 03:01 PM
oh Poor Oscar,, that little boy needs his pool mama... Can't wait to see the pics of Oscar swimming in his own pool!!!!

Kerie
06-19-2006, 03:02 PM
oh Poor Oscar,, that little boy needs his pool mama... Can't wait to see the pics of Oscar swimming in his own pool!!!!

Just a little kiddie pool but it will be fun!!!

Patt
06-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Good idea, I am sure he will love the kiddie pool. :banana: Another suggestion would be to take large plastic soda bottles, fill them with water (leave a couple of inches at the top free) and freeze. He can lay up against them to cool off. Also have a wet towel he can lay on or you can lay over him. Be very careful of heat stroke. You are right some dogs can handle heat while others can't, just like people.

areese
06-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Laika gets really hot too. I have made her various cooler coats out of washcloths and this special absorbent towel stuff that I soak to keep the sun off her back if she has to be out. She hates them of course. If you wet down their belly and paws, it cools them down the best I've heard. So when he gets his little pool it will help!

Jen
06-19-2006, 03:14 PM
I think the pool will help. Casey and I took Auggie and Tasha to Prospect Park yesterday am in the heat and Augs even took a dip at the dog beach--Casey and I were amazed! Miss Tasha had to be held at the dog beach--too many off lead big dogs.

Summer is hard, we don't walk for as long, especially at 6pm, and try to do more playtime inside.

oceangirls
06-19-2006, 09:14 PM
I think the pool will be great - you're right, being black in the heat is not good. You might try taking him outside for frequent but short excursions ~ he might get more accustomed to being in the heat and learn not to overexert himself.

We'd love to see some pool pictures.

Patt
06-19-2006, 10:12 PM
:woohoo: we just bought a little pool for Trixie. I don't know if she will like it or not. :)

laura
06-19-2006, 11:44 PM
There are dog bandanas' that are meant to stay cool...I just send one to courtney. I will get you one. Courtney, How does that size fit your guys? would it work for Oscar in that size/

What size was it? (I live in a mental fog these days)

Kerie
06-21-2006, 03:07 PM
There are dog bandanas' that are meant to stay cool...I just send one to courtney. I will get you one. Courtney, How does that size fit your guys? would it work for Oscar in that size/

What size was it? (I live in a mental fog these days)

Are there pictures online anywhere?

Patt
06-22-2006, 03:26 AM
Here's one but don't know if it the same one.

http://thepuppyshop.com/apparel2.html

Tex
06-22-2006, 07:54 AM
I have some of the same issues with Julie, being a blank and tan too.....I like the idea of the cooling bandanas, I need to look into some for my little one. Can't wait for pool pics!

Bella's Mom
06-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Poor Oscar! His pools will help alot!