PDA

View Full Version : I Know It's Cold, But Please Pee!!!

Nancy
12-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Trust me, I know it's cold out. Nobody likes to be outside for a walk at 5:15 in the morning, but my god, pee!!!

Molly has an accident in her crate today. I took her outside this a.m. to do her business. All she did was poop, no pee. I walked her after her poop, but she kept tuggin' to get back into the house. I tried to walk her more, but she wouldnt have anything to do with being outside.

Went home at noon today to walk her again, and she REFUSED to pee. So when I got home at 3:30, she pee'd but in her crate. ARGHGHGGH!! :mad:

This is the first time, so I'm not gonna stress too much, but what can I do to get her to pee?

When she does go pee or poop, I praise her and give her treats EVERY time. :cheer2:

It's understandable that she just got to my home 3 weeks ago and she's still adjusting to a routine. She's probably not happy that I don't let her pee in the house (I have a feeling the previous owner trained her to use pee pads)

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Lisa
12-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Eventually she will just get it! I know that is not a comfort NOW - but she will get there. You are doing everything perfect, she just needs you to keep doing what you are doing. It took Pixel F O R E V E R to get it (almost 6 months :scared1: ) but Pogo was literally trained in 3 days and never had an incident since. Some Doxies just take longer than others, but one day a switch just went off and Pixel connected the pee-outside dots....I just hope Molly is a little more on the ball than Pixel was!!

isobelsmom
12-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Now, this may sound odd, but put a pee pad in her crate and LET her pee on it. Then take the pee pad out of the crate, take it outside and (yes, this is the yucky part, so have gloves on!) wring it out on the spot you want her to pee on so the urine drips on that spot ONLY.

When you take her out, give her one command for each: Go, Poop. Go, Pee. Do not combine into just go potty as it will just make this drag out. AND when you take her out, take her to that spot you dribbled urine on and give her the "go Pee" command...have a snack ready and when she does (even a dribble counts now) cram that snack into her mouth and praise her...not overly much, but enough so she knows she's done a good thing.

This is how I did it in potty training classes in puppy pre-school and it does work....usually....for dachsies.....Let me know how she does, and if it doesn't work, I'll try to come up with another plan.

Yolanda
12-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Nancy,

Mary's suggestions are right on the money. It is exactly what I do for my rescue dogs. By the way share pictures of her with us soon.

oceangirls
12-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Mary's advice is great. I will just send some sympathy! :potty1:

Patt
12-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Winter time is not a very nice time for going outside, way too cold for the babies. :freeze1: You have gotten excellent suggestions I'm sure with time and patience the problem will be solved.

Nancy
12-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Thank you so much for the advise Mary!

I do have a pee pad, so I'll give it a shot. She did go pee this a.m., but not the first time I took her out. When she did go the second time, I said "Good Pee!" and gave her a treat.

Funny thing is, I take her back to the same spot she pee's/poo's in everytime, and say "Go Pee", but she just looks at me like I have 12 heads!

She's lucky she's so cute, 'cause I'd squeeze the pee out of her! :-)

Jill
12-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Maybe try quicker potty runs instead of a walk? Now that it's so cold, we just run the boys outside to the spot real quick and run back inside. Our morning routine has changed a bit because it's so cold out.

I used to take them out first thing and then for about a half hour in the back yard to run and poop and pee before I left. Now, since there is no way any of us are staying outside for a half hour, we have 3 potty trips. First thing for pee, right before shower for poop and then right before I leave for a pee. Just be consistent. How big is her crate?

isobelsmom
12-15-2005, 09:51 AM

:rotfl: Ain't that the truth!

Puppen
12-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Thank you so much for the advise Mary!

I do have a pee pad, so I'll give it a shot. She did go pee this a.m., but not the first time I took her out. When she did go the second time, I said "Good Pee!" and gave her a treat.

Funny thing is, I take her back to the same spot she pee's/poo's in everytime, and say "Go Pee", but she just looks at me like I have 12 heads!

:rotfl: I hope it works out! been having the same morning problem with puppen, though i have never in my life crated a furkid, but then i've always been around too so I'm sure that makes a difference. At any rate, since it has gotten so cold here :freezing: (<--this is SO eric cartman south park..i love it:rotfl: ) Puppen doesn't WANT to go out in the morning, later in the day is Fine Mutter, but not FwROST tingkles! and instead of the clothing battle we are now suffering the fighting to get back in the door battle. Iwhen she has this fit I picture the cartoon doggie with all four paws on the door jam doing everything possible NOT to go out) :rotfl:

JanUet
12-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Casey grumbles in the morning ot go outside to pee. When they get up in the morning it's straight outside for the morning pee pee.
Most times I have to scoop Casey out of bed and carry him downstairs, leash him up and let him out.

We cleared a spot for him to pee. HE does his business and then wants back inside.

Sophie just runs outside and Rolls in the snow! She loves it! Most times we take her for the walk and leave Casey at home.

Nancy
12-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Molly is a total drama queen in the morning!

She walks out of her crate, I scoop her up and head towards the leash/harness/coat and she starts SHIVERING!! :rotfl:

I'm like, ah, you just got out of the crate, I have the heat cranked for you so stop being so dramatic, we're not even outside yet!! :lol:

And when we do make it outside, she digs her paws into the ground and i have to pull on the leash! All this drama for pee time! :rotfl:

JanUet
12-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Just HAD to share this cartoon pic......Just seemed appropriate...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/tiggermiss/image0044.gif

Jen
12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Tasha likes to take her time too. 2 blocks from apt, sniff, nothing. Maybe 3 blocks away?? Other times when she needs the exercise she pees on the first tree and wants to go home. :faint:

We have resumed normal walkies even though its been in the 20s. She doesn't seem to mind the cold as much as we do.

Nancy
12-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Just HAD to share this cartoon pic......Just seemed appropriate...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/tiggermiss/image0044.gif

Way too funny!

Rae
12-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Fear not! Duchie is a mill rescue and she did not know the meaning of "go potty outside" either. It took a while, and she still does not like her precious tu-tu to be so close to the ground when it is wet or snowy.

I tend to think (not that I have ever had a boy dachsie, so what the heck do I know?) that it would be easier to train a boy since his tu-tu does NOT get immersed in the snow or wet grass...

I did resort to crating Duchie to get her used to the ides of Go Potty Outside, and Mary is right on with the separate commands for the two different biological functions.

One tip- DH ended up shoveling Duchie a 4 ft x 4 ft potty spot last year during the Big Snow and it helped a lot. The snow here was 18 inches so I had to carry her (not a pretty sight) and set her down, but she figured out pretty quick that if she did her business we would go back in the house and cuddle in the recliner under the blankie to thaw out.

That did NOT by any means reduce the severity of THE LQQK, but I got my point across.

Good luck.

Nancy
12-16-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm used to having male dogs, dominant males dogs at that, so they used to pee/mark EVERYTHING outside! We'd walk 2 feet, one would mark, so the other marked over that marking, we'd walk another another 2 feet and the who can mark over each other game continued! It was very comical! :rotfl:

Needless to say, there were no accidents in the house! :banana:

Molly did o.k. this a.m. Usually I get out of bed and take her right out, but this morning, I left her in the crate while I showered and got ready for work. I put her rain coat on, went outside and she kept tuggin' to get back in the condo, but I was just as persistant and brought her over to the same spot she pee'd on last night. She didnt go right away, tried like heck to get back in doors, but I pulled her right back to the spot said, "GO PEE" and after circling a little bit she did! :appl: :banana: I praised her like crazy, gave her a treat and back inside we went!

isobelsmom
12-16-2005, 11:30 AM
:toot: :toot: :woohoo: To you and Miss Molly for progress right from the start. This completely makes my morning...and, since I am Bah, Humbug!, today, that was no mean feat!!!!

I'm sure that since the first step was so successful, the rest will be a breeze for both of you!!! :cheer2:

Big :bighug:'s to Miss Molly and her "getting it!" And :appl: :boogie: for your persitent and consistent training reminders to the wee one!!! Very cool!