View Full Version : Girls, you can only get sick Thurs-Sat!!!!

catstamm
06-20-2006, 11:06 PM
I took Carlee to the vet today because she cryed when I touched her ear. the girls vet works Thurs - Sat.....
I got ripped off....
Office Visit-42.00
Cleaned one (1) ear w/ ear cleaner $17.00 What???
Ear drops -$28.00
and a nail trim for Cami (which I may ad was terrible and my dr does it as a courtesy) $25.00!!!!! Does she get acrylics and polish with that!!!!
WTF......
Lesson learned...only get sick th-sat!!!!

Lee Anne
06-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Mwwwwwwaaaaahahahahaha!

Welcome to MY world!:shocked:

Yolanda
06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
I had something very similar happen to me a while back. I saw a different vet in the same practice. Was charged $25.00 for a nail clipping that is normally free. I told my vet in no uncertain words how I felt about it and if that was the way the practice was going I was going also. He repeatedly told me how sorry he was and had my $$ refunded. I still changed vets after 22 years.

catstamm
06-20-2006, 11:21 PM
I think it's pay back for all the crap I give you :shocked: Don't worry mama I'll be writing a letter tomorrow. If they couldn't see in her (1) ear wouldn't cleaning it be part of the exam???? Or they could give me the medsand ask me to go home and clean her ear before I put the meds in!!!! NO???

Lee Anne
06-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Dang Yolanda! You're my HERO! It took misdiagnosing Froggy's back to get me to switch. I'm gonna be more like you from now on though dangit!

laura
06-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Cat, DEFINITELY COMPLAIN! You should NOT have to pay rip off fees like that. And change vets if they don't refund the toenail money!

catstamm
06-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Yolanda....Should I express my concerns to my regular vet (which is new) or should I write a letter to the office manager.... I just looked at my reciept again and he charged me $8.50 for the 2 drops he put in her ear before we left!!!! I paid 28.00 for the same meds and I could have put them in her ear myself in the car!!!!! I could scream!!!!!

catstamm
06-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah Lee Anne I thought I was your hero.....now I'm depressed.....:confused:

lotsadox
06-20-2006, 11:40 PM
$25.00 for a nail trim???? I thought my vet was expensive. :shocked: She even trimmed the mats out of Amanda's ears with her electric clippers for free. Of course, I spend about $100.00 a month with her!!!

Lee Anne
06-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Sorry! You get ripped off at the vets and you slip RIGHT off the pedestal! :hula1:

Patt
06-21-2006, 01:30 AM
The prices sound about right. Office visit/exam is $44 here. Usually the reason why the nail trims are so high priced is because it is a Vet Clinic not a grooming salon. Cleaning the ear(s) is a procedure so you would be charged for it. Medications are very expensive these days, when the MFG raises their prices so does the vet.

Jacqueline
06-21-2006, 02:54 AM
The prices sound about right. Office visit/exam is $44 here. Usually the reason why the nail trims are so high priced is because it is a Vet Clinic not a grooming salon. Cleaning the ear(s) is a procedure so you would be charged for it. Medications are very expensive these days, when the MFG raises their prices so does the vet.

I get my kid's nails trimmed at the vets....$8 a pup. $25 is highway robbery.

Yolanda
06-21-2006, 06:02 AM
My regular vet at the time owned part of the practice.

Tex
06-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Oh Cat, that's horrible!!! Julie's nails are done at the groomers and they charge $12 and that's for the drimel.......our office fee is $35, but of course, Julie and Jax are now covered by a wellness plan......charging you to put drops in her ear when that's something you could do yourself....sounds fishy to me:scratch:

Peteys Mom
06-21-2006, 08:43 AM
I pay $6 for a nail trim at the vet's, which is well worth the money. When I have Petey neutered at the end of this month, they're going to dremel his nails WAY down while he's still asleep.

Yep, you got ripped off I think :shocked:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
06-21-2006, 09:30 AM
My vet is the greatest. He doesn' t charge an office fee or exam fee. He charges you the cost of the meds. & that' s it!
But, he is semi-retired & won' t do any spay/neuter oranything that requires the dog to be put under. I get my HeartGuard from him for $25 per box.
I do my pups nails, grooming & ear cleaning myself.

Jen
06-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Here in NYC we pay $80 for an office visit. Yes, just to walk in the door. Nails I have done at a groomer for $10. I think Tasha's visit for her ear problem with meds was about $110--but there was no fee for cleaning them or a nail trim!

oceangirls
06-21-2006, 12:54 PM

About the same as what I pay, too. In some cases meds are cheaper buying from a regular pharmacy (especially if it is a medication that is also used in humans). That is what we've paid for nail trims by the vet (they have a grooming salon there, too - I am just too lazy to make an appt) and anals are about $22 per dog. I am sure those are the "standard" prices... the issue of course is that they can waive fees if they want... or charge you a recall visit instead of a full visit, etc... which is probably what your usual vet has done ~ wanting to keep you as a customer.

I'm sorry it was so expensive. Last year right before we left I mentioned Angel sometimes scratches at one of her ears and in less than 30 seconds, we had an ear inspection, cleaning, cytology, and another $40 on the bill :scratch:. Must be careful about my incidental comments :D

Cara
06-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Wow! My vets never charge for nail trims or anal gland cleaning. I had my boys dentals done a couple of weeks ago and was upset at how much it cost. I called and spoke to a receptionist who forwarded my concerns onto the office manager. She called me today to let me know she credited my account some money. Buddy had blood work done when he shouldn't have because it was just done when he had pneumonia. She also found where they doubled charged me for sedation. It was a mix up because both boys were on the same sheet. The vet who checked them over wasn't the vet that did Bud's extraction. Miscommunication on their part.

Sometimes errors happen. I would call the office manager rather than write a letter. Just be calm when you speak to them. I've found sometimes my vets are expensive in regard to certain things but I won't change as they are fabulous exotic vets for my guinea pigs. One of them is the best exotic vet on the east coast and has doxies himself. If Bud's back ever goes down again this vet's dealt with it before. There are four vets in the practice and I have found that each does write up things a little differently resulting in slightly different charges each time. I bring it up and it's usually given to me for whatever the cheapest price I've paid before.

I forgot to add that it nevers hurts to ask if the med can be dispensed by your pharamacy. I've done that a lot with meds my pigs have been on, Lasix, polycitra, etc.... Way cheaper than buying it from the vet.