PDA

View Full Version : 24 hours and bonded like glue

fancygirl
06-23-2006, 01:30 PM
I brought Ruby, a 7 month doxie female, into my home less than 2 days ago. And after only 24 hours a problem developed.

Shirlee and I own a 3-flat and we rent two of the apartments to very close
friends who socialize with us on a daily basis. Ruby met all of these people her first night with us. She was a little timid but fine. She let our friends approach her and sit next to her and even rub her belly.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time with Ruby. (Shirlee put in time, too, but
not as much as I did.) Since I am trying to housebreak her, Ruby and I spent
lots of time in our small backyard. As the day went on, she seemed to be
sticking closer to me, prefering me even to Shirlee.

Then, yesterday evening when Shirlee and I were out in the yard with Ruby, our neighbor, Jeanne -- who Ruby had met the night before -- burst out of the house, letting the door slam behind her. Ruby was frightened. She started to bark and then bark and growl at Jeanne. I sat on the ground with Jeanne, but Ruby still wouldn't make up to her. When Jeanne got up, Ruby not only barked, but sort of went after Jeanne's ankles! Of course I told Ruby "no" during all of this. But Ruby wouldn't stop.

Now Ruby has bonded with me even more. Right now, she is in the kitchen area with Shirlee but instead of being happy with that, she is by the door crying to be with me. I was afraid of this kind of thing happening and, from the beginning, I did not hold her on my lap or in my arms except to carry her
down the stairs. Of course I have been playing with her and giving her lots
of attention.

Anyhow, when our neighbors come into the house, now, Ruby barks at them. She quiets down when they sit down and has even accepted a treat from Jeanne. But when they get up and move around, she starts barking again.

Help!

Lisa
06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
I think she is just protecting her new home. Maybe start to get Shirlee to feed Ruby and take her for a couple walks a day and you actually leave the house to just Ruby and Shirlee for maybe 10 - 30 minutes a day so the Ruby knows that you can come and go as you please.

I also strongly recommend reading Leader of the Pack, and the Dog Listener (by Jan Fennel). Ruby has to learn that YOU and Shirlee are the boss of the house not little Miss Barky Pants.

Dachshunds for the most part are barkers, all you can do is work with her everyday - have people come by and reward her GOOD behavior as opposed to punishing the bad and she will quickly learn what to and not to do in certain settings.

Good Luck, keep us posted. Having a new dachshund is so wonderful, but they can be a handful and we are here to help.

Also :welcome2: to the DLC!

Lisa

Patt
06-25-2006, 03:19 AM
:Welcome1: to the wonderful world of Doxies and the DLC. I'm sure your association with us will be both enjoyable and informative.

Are you new to the dog world or just to doxies? :scratch: Regarding Ruby, has she been spayed and had all of her vaccines?

One thing you will soon discover, at least about me, is that I am a firm believer in the teaching methods employed by "The Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan. As such, I highly recommend you both read his new book "Cesar's Way" and view his National Geographic television program.

It sounds as if Ruby has moved in and immediately assumed the leadership roll in your home. Dogs being pack oriented animals are most happy when under the influence of strong pack leaders. You and Shirley are going to have to assume this role, or Ruby will soon develop some very bad traits. In addition to basic training, the establishment of rules and routines or as Cesar says, "rules, boundaries and limitations" is extremely important.

Lisa's book recommendations are excellent, and here are a few more you might consider. In addition to "Cesar's Way", "How to be the Leader of the Pack and have your dog love you for it," by Patricia B. McConnell and "Dachshunds for Dummies".

http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

http://www.paw-rescue.org/dog_guide.php

Tex
06-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Couldn't have said it better Patt.......

laura
06-25-2006, 01:33 PM
To me that situation sounds more like insecurity on Ruby's part. She is so new and has not had time to process all the stimuli that she has been presented with. Can you tell us more about her background?

Jen
07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Great suggestions from everyone, and those books helped me too. And yes, as Laura asked, did Ruby come from rescue or a breeder or where? A little backgound would be great.

And :welcome11 to the DLC!! Let us know how you're doing with Ruby. :)

Anatresia
07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
:welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2:

I know of two things that work with a proctective, barking female (which I have.) One- have new people (or in this case, people she isn't quite sure about) give her food whenever they see her. This makes her think, "Hmm- people aren't so bad.)

And two- have a spray bottle with water on hand. If she goes nuts with the barking, spray her with the water. Don't let her see the bottle, if you can help it. Then she will associate being a crazy barker with getting wet (something they hate.) Mine saw the bottle, so on the upside, she will be quiet if I have the bottle in my hand and I don't need to spray her (but on the downside, she associates the spray bottle, not her actions, as the source of her getting wet.)

The clingy act could be a case of separation anxiety. Do not give in. I have a velcro dog (my boy) who cries if he can't get to me- I can't even go to the bathroom without him following me. If you give in all the time, they will do it all the time. Butters even goes swimming in the pool because he can't bear to be away from me when I'm in there.

Good luck!