View Full Version : What Is Wrong With Pippit???

K2
06-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Friday when Mom came home, Pippit spent the night attached to her~lovin' on her, snuggling with her and not moving from her side. He was very sad when we left.

Yesterday, when we got to the lake house he went and hid under the bed. When he did come out, he just had this strange look on his face. (There was no mess of any kind under the bed) He wouldn't play, wouldn't eat....nothing. He wouldn't jump up on the couch to sit with Grammy either(like he had the night before)

So, I'm freaking out thinking it's his back....or this or that......And then my Dad asks me to go to church with him. So we go....

While we were gone, he jumps up on the couch with Grammy and doesn't move the whole time. When we got back, he was still pretty non Pippit like. Then suddenly he "bounced" back and was himself again. (He still did not leave Grammy's side)but he was much perkier. He was fine for the rest of the night and today too.

So....do you think I should take him to the vet to make sure things are okay? What was wrong with him????

Jill
06-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Is he eating ok? Pottying?

I think he just knows that something is wrong with Grammy. I'd give it a few more days: (as long as he is eating, drinking and pottying normally) and then maybe call the vet if he's still acting strangely.

Alex's Mom
06-25-2006, 08:02 AM
:ditto: to what Jill said, Karen. Dogs can be amazingly perceptive when we're not feeling well. He's probably also picking up on the worry and stress everyone is feeling. Isn't he such a great grandpuppy to be so :hearts: on your mom!! but if he's still not himself after a couple of days, yup, I'd take him to the vet's. :hug99: :hug99: and :bigrayz::bigrayz: for all of you!

alfina
06-25-2006, 08:05 AM
I agree that ke knows your mom is not well. I woud wait and see.

oceangirls
06-25-2006, 08:07 AM
I agree - he might have picked up that all of you were worried, and then as you guys started to relax, so did he. You never know what dogs pick up on... maybe he heard one of you laugh or you made something to eat that he has smelled before, and he suddenly got the cue that things were okay. It sounds more like a worried dog than a sick or hurt dog to me... but he might have also had a stomachache or something that went away. I'd probably just keep an eye on him.

If you are not already (you probably are), I would try to keep all his routines the same as much as possible since you guys are moving from one house to another - meal times, bed times, bathroom times, etc. I try to do that with the girls.

Alex's Mom
06-25-2006, 08:33 AM
I had another thought (yes, occasionally I do get more than one at a time :rotfl:) Maybe he's smelling all the medical stuff like dressings and meds and left-over hospital smell on your mom and it's reminding him of the vet? don't know, but maybe?? :scratch:

JanUet
06-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Yup! I have to agree with everyone there!

He has picked up that Everyone is worried and that Grammy doesn't smell the same. With all that medical stuff on her.

I really don't think it is his back....that is the farthest from my mind.

Does he act okay at home? :scratch:

You can tell that Pippit LOVES his Grammy! :hearts: :fh:

K2
06-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone~you have me already feeling better. He is eating and going potty the same. He's used to going from house to house(we spend time at my apartment, mom and dad's house and the lake house) And his routine is pretty much the same, except I've been home more than usual.

And actually, he started perking up when I started making dinner last night. So...maybe it does have to do with the smells. He's fine today so we'll see what happens when we go back up later today (I'm at work right now)

K2
06-25-2006, 09:49 AM
You can tell that Pippit LOVES his Grammy! :hearts: :fh:

Oh, he really, really does. My Aunt and Uncle came over and Pippit positioned himself right in front of Grammy's feet~like he was protecting her.

Lisa
06-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Pogo was really weird when I got home from the hospital too.

I really agree with everyone else, he's picking up on your stress and knows Grammy just needs a nice quiet Pippit.

As long as he's eating, drinking and pooping normally I think he's okay.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
06-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Sounds to me like he' s OK, just feeling some vibes that were not normal for a bit.

Red Haired Girl
06-25-2006, 09:59 AM
I agree with the smells thought. Perhaps your mom was still getting rid of some of the lingering anestesia from her lungs. With a dogs heightened sense of smell, maybe he got a bit stoned.

I do hope you mom is doing better. You and yours are in my thoughts.

Tex
06-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Big ditto to all of the above.....hope Pippit and your mom are doing well today. We're keeping all of you in our thoughts and :pray: .

lotsadox
06-25-2006, 11:22 AM
I think he's definitely picking up on the stress you've been feeling and the abnormality of the situations. He knows things are different now and might not know what is expected of him. :scratch: The poor boy is probably just upset and confused. A little reassurance and he'll adjust and be fine. :banana:

catstamm
06-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I agree that he is feeling the stress of everything going on..... aren't puppers amazing.... I think he'll be fine. :hug99:

Patt
06-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Has Pippit done anything out of the ordinary to make you think it could be back trouble? I would keep an eye on him, as long as everything else is normal he's probably okay. Pippit is probably picking up on all the "stress" vibes. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: to all of you.

Linus
06-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah, Pippit's just worried. What a caring little guy!! :hearts: