PDA

View Full Version : Bailey was aggressive towards some kids yesterday.

Jill
06-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Our neighbors have their oldest daughter and her son (7) living with them. Curtis, the boy, comes over often to play with Dan and help him in the yard(his dad doesn't live with them). Reese is great with him, Bailey just runs around the yard and barks at him. He usually ends up back up on the deck and watches from afar. Yesterday was Curtis' birthday party. So there were a bunch of kids around. Curtis came over to show his friends the dogs. They were in the backyard, fenced in. Bailey starting barking and kinda nipping through the fence. The little boys were sticking their hands in the fence. No one got hurt. I tried putting them on their leashes and taking them in the front. I held Bailey, thinking the kids could pet him. He was still growling and trying to nip.

Bailey has never done this before. He's perfect with my best friends 4 year old. Bailey has known him for as long as we've had him. They chase each other around the yard and play great. He's perfect with all the kids that we run into at events, and Petsmart etc.

I was thinking that maybe he was overwhelmed because there were about 6 or 7 kids around. But, with the exception of Curtis, it is not often we have kids around since, well, we don't have kids yet. He is great with my younger sisters too, but they are 13 and 14.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions? I am wondering if it is because he was at our home? But he's great with Dylan (the 4yr old) at our house. Last year we took him to Dylan's birthday party and there were a bunch of kids around and he was fine?!

:scratch:

Tex
06-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Hummmm....that's a tough one. My first thought too was that there may have been too many kids invading his home territory.....but who knows? Maybe he was just having an anti-kid kinda day....lord knows I do sometimes! Good luck and hopefully it's not a recurring issue....

lotsadox
06-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I think it was definitely because there were too many kids. When kids are in groups they run and screech and are rambunctious. This is enough to set off even dogs that are used to kids. I've learned to make kids walk quietly up to my dogs to pet them and then only 2 or 3 at a time or Miller freaks and even Cash is leary of too many noisy kids coming at him. :shocked:

Courtney
06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Hmmm. I don't know what to say except I think it was probably a lot for him to handle - that many kids invading his space. If he is good with kids otherwise and one on one, I wouldn't worry so much. Napoleon barks and barks at kids, and especially does not like young boys. Something about them sets him off!!

catstamm
06-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow ...There must be something in the air....
My girls aren't use to kids they are rarely around them. Jen is getting use to our 13 yr old new nieghbor who comes over everyday for about an hour. It has been about a month and now Jen greets Michele everyday.
Yesterday the girls were in the house havin' a great old time with thier bones...Lee Anne came over w/ her son. Poor Garrett went to pet Jen and she bit him :shocked: WTF..... garrett is use to being able to pet HIS dogs when they are eating and he didn't think it would be different with Jen :confused:
I felt so bad.....
Jen is never food agressive w/ anyone in the family or her sisters :scratch:
All my girls are uncomfortable around kids.....they move to fast.
No more bones when company comes over ....sorry Jen Jen
ANY SUGGESTIONS OR OPINIONS WELCOME

jenfer
06-25-2006, 12:31 PM
I agree that's too many kids for Bailey to handle. Gigi likes to bark at little kids too, but a little calming usually works. And if the kids have treats, they are instant friends. :rolleyes:

Chris
06-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Maybe he also felt cornered. Not just the running and screeching, but because they were probably trying to all pet at once or muscle eachother out for a closer look. Poor pups!

Linus
06-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Not only were there a lot of kids that probably overwhelmed him, but you were holding him...he was protecting you from the noisy kids. My Bailey does the same thing...kids are NOT his favorite people in the world.

areese
06-26-2006, 07:27 AM
They were looking at him through the fence and sticking their hands through? I think that's really different for a dog than when they are guests in the yard...he was prob. protecting his property. Like how two dogs will play together or be fine on leash together but on opposites sides of a fence will "fence-fight" and go nuts??

Jen
06-26-2006, 09:09 AM
I agree, Tasha gets nippier if she's in my arms, so I try to make sure she's on the ground when greeting kids. I'd say that plus being overwhelmed by so many of them.