View Full Version : Scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch

K2
06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Lately, I've been taking Pippit's collar off of him when he's in the house. A few days ago, he started scratching, scratching, scratching. This is his neck now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/special328k/dino0542.jpg

(Please note~Pippit has always a bald spot on his neck, that's not new~but the red marks are)

He's on Advantix(due again on the 1st) I combed him and found no fleas, nothing. He's not eating anything different. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Patt
06-27-2006, 07:47 PM
At first I thought it might be the Advantix but you applied it 3 weeks ago right? So that's probably not it. Since he has another week to go, how about bathing him with mild shampoo with soap to wash the Advantix off. See if it clears up before the 1st. Is it possible his collar may have gotten something on it from your walks? You should probably wash the collar too.

I would also call 1-800-255-6826 for Advantix and ask them. If it continues with no improvement I would call your vet.

K2
06-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh~I forgot to mention that these are the only spots on him. (he did have one on his belly last night, but it's gone now) I don't think they're bites, but are red from scratching...:scratch:

Frzframe
06-28-2006, 12:05 AM
A hot spot maybe? Poor guy.

K2
06-28-2006, 06:49 AM
I gave him a bath last night and switched to his Red Sox collar too. :crossfin: I hope it helps.

Could he have developed something with the Advantix? He's been on it forever and July 1 will be his 3rd dose this year.

Tex
06-28-2006, 07:14 AM
No big advice, big sending big anti-scratching :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to da Pippit man! How's he doing today?

LUVMYGUNNER
06-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Gunner and Petunia are scratching a lot also both just had baths and are on frontline.

Jen
06-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Tasha scratches more in the summer, but the redness makes me worry. Maybe a quick phone call to your vet?

laura
06-28-2006, 10:12 AM
What exactly is a hot spot anyway? What causes those and what can be done about them? Clark has them terribly!

K2
06-28-2006, 11:17 AM
I did call my vet. He seems to think it's a combination of something we probably walked through and the fact that I've been taking his collar off~so he can scratch. With the bath last night, things should clear up a bit and if not~we go to the vet on Wedensday.

Patt
06-28-2006, 11:28 AM
What exactly is a hot spot anyway? What causes those and what can be done about them? Clark has them terribly!The link below explains it best.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/hotspots.html

I use to have an Aussie that would get them every summer. Try to get the hot spots treated before they get really bad. I have found when they first start if I put Neo-Predf Powder on them it usually takes care of it. If Clark has a really bad one I would suggest treatment by your vet because they can get really ugly, they draw flies and then maggots.

K2
06-28-2006, 09:29 PM
I think the bath and switching collars worked~ Pippit's neck is looking much better than last night. So, hopefully it will continue to heal and he will stop scratching. :crossfin:

Frzframe
06-28-2006, 10:43 PM
:cheer2: That's good news.