PDA

View Full Version : The impossible dream

Courtney
06-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I am about ready to call Cesar Millan, positive punishment and all. Here's my impossible dream - walking three or four dogs at once without everyone turning into a barking IDIOT when we see another dog or person. Why is this so hard? When I take just one dog out, no one goes nuts. I try to stay calm when walking them, but I have no idea what to do when they go crazy. I took treats and a clicker this morning and worked on getting their attention, which is a start, but only a start. And I know it's got to start at home with minimal distractions, and I'm working on that. But I also feel stuck. NOT taking them on walks doesn't solve the problem, but I know they aren't going to get better instantly. Uh so...any ideas!??! I actually for a fleeting second thought about buying little pinch collars for everyone BUT I know that those only make leash aggression worse! Auughh!!

Courtney
06-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh and I forgot to say that on our walk this morning we met a lady in front of her house and she goes "Oh, have you seen that show The Dog Whisperer?" Yes I've seen the g-damned show lady, way to rub it in that my dogs are maniacs!!!!! She then goes on to say that her friend or something has been trying that "and it really works! that shhh thing! it really works!!" OH JUST SHOVE IT AND GO TO HELL is what I wanted to say to her, but I said, yeah I brought the treats with me, I am trying to work on it.....B****CH!!! :rotfl:

Otto'sMom
06-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I've been walking 5 dogs together, Austin wants to walk with the big dog and Mimi and Otto stay by me. When they make that first motion to make a big deal about something they've seen, I reel in the leash and very firmly in the tone that means business tell them that "That's ENOUGH!" and walk quickly past whatever triggers the response. Usually, out of sight=out of doggie mind and we move on to the next pmail posting. I talk to the dogs the whole walk(although I probably am not supposed to according to Cesar~I've got the book on order!) Calm assertive energy....They all have the leashes attached at the collar and not harnesses. Otto and Mimi aren't the troublemakers, Buddy and Dolly and Austie are, so they get the message when I reel in the leash.

Courtney
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Well, that has worked for me when I have been walking only Napoleon. I say "cut it out" or "don't even start" and he listens. But I am not sure anyone else would.... Maybe you are onto something with the harnesses though. I of course am worried about them slipping their collars, but maybe I could just take two dogs and then I would have more control.....

Otto'sMom
06-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I hate the fact that I use choker chains but I'd rather die than lose one of my puppers. The only one wearing one right now when we walk is Mimi, but that's because I haven't made it to petsmart to get the kind that slips over their head and looks like a regular collar, it just has a little chain that tightens if they pull.

I got a tripler leash from ebay and had all the doxies on it. Austin came trotting up with his portion of the leash just dangling behind him:shocked:
Freaked me OUT!! He came to me when we stopped and I put him with the lead dogs (they've got longer legs) and he was happy.

Remember, if you expect them to freak, they will. You really have to take that energy of distain you felt for that neighbor lady and put it towards the pups when they're barking, and really mean it! Feel it in every bone in your body but maintain your "I am queen of this doublewide trailer and I mean business" attitude, and keep on truckin.
~I have a problem of not meaning 'zip it' when I say it in the house. They're dogs and they're supposed to bark when someone comes in. I'm not the best trainer, but I have good dogs.

Otto'sMom
06-28-2006, 01:07 PM
What kind of leash are you using, and what's the setup of dogs? (If you don't mind my asking)

Patt
06-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Just a quick thought b/c I have to leave for awhile. I think your suggestion of walking 2 and getting them use to it would be best. Then go on with the next two etc. Than as time goes on you can add the 3rd, the 4th and so on. Remember whatever energy (good or bad) you have will go right into the dogs.

Courtney
06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
I use 6-foot leashes and I have two dogs in one hand and one in the other. If Blevins goes I usually put him on a 4-foot leash and loop the leash over my wrist - he is a good boy and walks beside me! I bought a leash coupler at Petsmart this weekend and have tried it twice but it's a piece of crap and only makes things worse, I think.

Jen
06-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Cesar's show was asking for people to apply on the website if they had a problem for him. I'd :love5: to see him with 5 doxies. Wonder if even he could do it!

Two at a time sounds better, then adding one by one. And collars not harnesses if there are no back probs. Guess you're not gonna be rollerblading with them ;)

Courtney
06-28-2006, 01:27 PM
I told Adam to get out the video camera!!! But he said he did not want to be "shhhsshed" on national television. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Another funny thought - when I bought the crappy coupler I saw that they had a hands-free leash thing that attaches to your waist. I thought, oh yeah, two dachshunds in each hand and a Dane around my waist. THAT would be my real dream. But I am pretty sure if I tried it I would end up in the hospital!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Otto'sMom
06-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Try reeling in the 6 footer (just bring it in so they're closer to you by bunching it up) You've really got to put the fear of DOG into them and let them know...I wish I could just show you how I do it. I'm not by any means the best 'pack leader' but the pups get the idea most of the time. The most commotion I get is Buddy jumping like a lunatic and Dolly doing her "I'm sooooo happy to see another dog" whine/scream. I give them a good yoink on the leash and they calm down.

Bella's Mom
06-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Oh and I forgot to say that on our walk this morning we met a lady in front of her house and she goes "Oh, have you seen that show The Dog Whisperer?" Yes I've seen the g-damned show lady, way to rub it in that my dogs are maniacs!!!!! She then goes on to say that her friend or something has been trying that "and it really works! that shhh thing! it really works!!" OH JUST SHOVE IT AND GO TO HELL is what I wanted to say to her, but I said, yeah I brought the treats with me, I am trying to work on it.....B****CH!!! :rotfl:
Oh I love it!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

lotsadox
06-28-2006, 02:03 PM
I've had the same experience, Courtney. Walking more than 2 at a time always turns into a nightmare. I've given up. If you find something that works let me know.

As for the lady, I'm surprised you didn't tell her what to do with her advice. :shocked: Congrats on the self control! :appl: :appl:

Jacqueline
06-28-2006, 02:15 PM

If it weren't for the fact that you would have been chasing five dogs in five different directions, you could have said, "here, could you hold them for a minute", and then laughed yourself silly as they dragged her face down up the street. Whisper that, lady.

I love the idea of seeing Cesar trying to walk five doxies. Send him a tape. :banana: :banana: :banana:

catstamm
06-28-2006, 02:21 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Courtney, your killing me... I watch the g-damned dog whisper too....and it looks so easy....I don't see it ever happening w/ my girls :rotfl: :rotfl: I gave up! Ask Lee Anne!

Patt
06-28-2006, 08:25 PM
My DH reminded me of a lesson relating to walking multiple and difficult dogs Cesar was teaching a group of women recently.

During that program Cesar said one should start with just two dogs on separate leashes. The animals were to be kept as close to parallel as possible so one could not be watching the other as they walked. The idea was not only to keep them in a calm and submissive state of mind, but to keep their attention focused on both you as the pack leader and the walk in progress. In time more dogs could be added to the pack.

Cesar enjoys working with rescue groups so I definitely recommend you send him one of your videos. That should not only help get you the training information you need, but some great publicity for your organization as well.

JanUet
06-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Have you tried walking like Cleopatra? :rotfl:

I just can't imagine walking like her with 5 dogs in tow!

Lisa was nice enough to give me her Cesar book to read. I read it at night just before bed. Puts me to sleep in 20 minutes. I wish he would talk more about the dogs and less about how he came to be! Maybe that will happen in the later chapters of the book.....I hope!

I got the animal first bit and do not treat your dogs like they are human. But WE all do! Got passed the senses smell, visual then hearing! Great to know that you should just let any dog sniff your crotch brfore you say Hello to him/her. Just let a guy try that!!!!!:shocked:

In saying all that! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/tiggermiss/Cesarshht.gif

Otto'sMom
06-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Great to know that you should just let any dog sniff your crotch brfore you say Hello to him/her. Just let a guy try that!!!!!:shocked:

Let the guy smell your crotch?:scratch:

I walk 5 dogs at a time, and I project "queen of my doublewide trailer with the polyester curtains and the redwood deck", not Cleopatra.:conf4:

Courtney
06-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Have you tried walking like Cleopatra? :rotfl:

Lisa was nice enough to give me her Cesar book to read. I read it at night just before bed. Puts me to sleep in 20 minutes. I wish he would talk more about the dogs and less about how he came to be! Maybe that will happen in the later chapters of the book.....I hope!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Maybe I should try being more like Oprah, Cesar's Personal Role Model For His Career!?!?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hilarious, Janet. I too read the book before bed and sleep well. I think I may have just gotten to the dog training part...I will let you know.

What kills me is that I read every word in my head with his voice/accent!!!! It drives me a little batty!!

Courtney
06-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Cesar...I call bull****.

This is what Cesar says I need to do.

-Walk the dog(s) at least an hour every day. Hey that sounds great and that would be wonderful I could make time for that. But I work a full-time job and a part-time job in addition to taking a class and doing volunteer work.
-Get a treadmill for the dog to walk on. Sure.
-Get a backpack to add extra weight to the dog so it wears out faster. Yah, that is what Milo needs - a backpack!! :rotfl:

I am glad I did not pay for this book!! There was nothing in there I did not already know. Sorry, Cesar fans....

Tanya
06-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Using Cesar's methods I can now walk PnP on leash no problem, and they can even walk off leash pretty well as long as there isn't a ton of stuff going on in the neighborhood. They are getting better every day! :cheer2: I used to have Peaches pulling ahead and Piper at a complete stop behind me. Now we just have to tackle encountering other dogs on a walk!

Luckily I only have to worry about 2 rather than 5, so good luck Courtney!

Courtney
06-29-2006, 12:25 AM
But what methods are you using??? That is what I don't get? What am I supposed to do?

Tanya
06-29-2006, 12:27 AM
The collar high up on the neck (like they walk show dogs in the ring)...works wonders!

And as for collars and the pulling hurting their back...well as soon as they learn to walk right there is no more pulling. I have gone back to a harness with Peaches now that she knows the correct way to walk. Piper is still on the collar.

Also, taught them to walk off leash by dropping the leash once they get in the "zone." If they try to run ahead, I step on the leash and give them the shhh...they fall right back into place. Believe me...its not perfect if there are things going on, but I was impressed to see this. I can walk them for like 3 miles with them dragging the leash.

There was nothing in there I did not already know.
I think that's why the book makes so much sense to me. It is stuff we know. He is just telling us that we NEED to do it in order to fulfill the dog's needs. Basically he says treat your dog like a dog, fulfill the dog's basics needs, and you will have a good dog. I think it seems so simple that people want there to be more to it or some special training trick.

Patt
06-29-2006, 12:28 AM
:way2go: Tanya! One hurdle at a time, I'm sure you will work it out.

Patt
06-29-2006, 12:32 AM
But what methods are you using??? That is what I don't get? What am I supposed to do?
On page 203 it tells you about the leash and the collar.

Tex
06-29-2006, 07:18 AM
I'm reading his book too....I'm not up to page 203 yet. The most interesting thing that I've noticed is that my dogs seem to be the mellowist when I'm reading the book! I don't know if my "energy" changes when I'm read Cesar or if it's just easier to have calm-assertive energy when I'm reading about it. Anyway, just found that interesting. We're working on our walking too. I have some of the same problems with finding enough time (and it's so d*mn hot!!!). I still put them in harnesses bc I fear for their backs too much. For a while, I walked Julie with a harness and gentle lead. That did wonders! Also, Cesar made me realize I was letting my pups out of the front door ahead of me, setting them up to be the "leaders" of the whole walk. Now, they have to sit in the entry way and stay while I open the door and walk out, then they are welcome to join me outside. I only have two to deal with though.....I can't imagine trying it with 5. I like the idea of starting with just 2 or 3 then addind the rest. Can you start with the ones you have the least amout of trouble with and then add a trouble maker one at a time.....the whole "power of the pack as a teaching tool for the other dogs" thing........?

Courtney
06-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Okay, I will check out page 203.

And Tanya? I mean this in the best interest of Peaches and Piper - are you sure it is ok to walk them off-leash? what about cars? kids? loose tennis balls? other dogs? Even if your dogs are perfectly obedient, there is no telling what other people's dogs can do. I know you say you don't do it when there is a lot of stuff going on but I still would worry. I see this guy in my neighborhood walking his cocker spaniels off-leash every morning and I want to go outside and scream at him. We live in the CITY not the country and even though our neighborhood streets are quiet we live near busy roads. Not to mention I had Blevins out the other morning and I saw a loose mangy Rottweiler on our street. I was so glad I did not have the wieners out. Can you find a park or nature center to take them off-leash? I think off-leash walks are great for the dogs and I have done it at the trails around the lake here. But I don't think it should ever be done when there are cars nearby. I hope you don't think I am being rude or snotty - I am not trying to be! I am just worried!!!

Tanya
06-29-2006, 11:23 AM
I would never put them in danger. I know when to pick up the leash and when they are ok dragging it. You have to see how my community is laid out to understand...its not a typical city neighborhood because we don't live in the city. We have a lot of bike paths that aren't along a road. I also can tell by the way they are acting if it is ok. Peaches does wonderful because its almost like it becomes her job to stay next to me. Piper on the other hand will stop to listen to wind chimes, stop to watch an airplane in the sky, etc. So he doesn't get to do it as much as Peaches. Plus, I have never let them pass another dog off leash...no way are they ready for that.

Courtney
06-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Okay, well now I am just jealous! That is cool! And so cute that Piper is such a dreamer. :D I wish we had more paths/trails near us. I have been inspired by Cesar enough to find some trails - we are going to head to a nature preserve this weekend! I used to love taking the dogs behind the dog park at White Rock Lake but they cut down all the trees and paved the trail and put a bridge across the lake for bikers/joggers. WHY WHY WHY!? Grrr....

JanUet
07-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Okay, I don't know what page I am on right now! The book is upstairs on my night table.

How the heck do you go out the door before the dogs?
My 2 have their noses touching the door before I open it!

Today I wedged myself between them and the door. I got one foot out the door before the wienies got out and tangled me in their retractable leashes! :faint:

The won't sit on the cold floor and wait (heaven forbid) as we have tile floors in front of the door.
As soon as I open the door, their little faces are pushed up tight to the second door (screen door).

When we come back from out walks..they come inside before me too!

Jacqueline
07-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Okay, I don't know what page I am on right now! The book is upstairs on my night table.

How the heck do you go out the door before the dogs?
My 2 have their noses touching the door before I open it!
Today I wedged myself between them and the door. I got one foot out the door before the wienies got out and tangled me in their retractable leashes! :faint:

The won't sit on the cold floor and wait (heaven forbid) as we have tile floors in front of the door.
As soon as I open the door, their little faces are pushed up tight to the second door (screen door).

When we come back from out walks..they come inside before me too!

Yeah, Cesar NEVER tried this with doxies, that I am positive of, because he would have found his famous mug flat on the floor.

I finally decided that as ALPHA DOG, it was MY CHOICE who went thru the door when, and I wanted to be able to walk thru the door without breaking my neck and their legs. I simply assume a haughty tone of voice and instruct them, "get thru that door, NOW". Works for me, and we all live to walk in and out the door another day.

I really do want to see him walk a pack of doxies....and survive :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Tanya
07-01-2006, 04:59 PM
I got one foot out the door before the wienies got out and tangled me in their retractable leashes! :faint:!
Retractable leashes...that's the problem. If you really don't want them to walk in front of you, why do they need to have up to like 20 feet of leash? :scratch: Plus, with a standard leash, you can feel even the slightest movement from your dog trying to pull ahead. You can't with a retractable leash.

Patt
07-01-2006, 09:48 PM
JanUet,

Doxies do have a tendency to be “pig-headed.” The difficulties you describe as taking place at the door however, are really symptomatic of the greater problem you must address. You have to be the unquestioned pack leader of your little group at all times. Casey and Sophie must never be allowed to assume that role, even though they may try. Although its going to take some time and training, they need to learn to sit and wait for your command before going outside. I understand these things take time and many people just don’t seem to have it, but that’s what’s needed. Until they are trained, you’ll have to forget the retractable leashes and keep them on short leads and NEVER in front of you. Remember to keep their collars up by their ears for best control.

BTW Cesar did rehabilitate a couple stubborn Dachshunds.

JanUet
07-01-2006, 09:58 PM
So many rules! :faint:

I really like the retractable leashes! I know...my problem. :sosad:

I will try the 4 foot leashes tomorrow :pout:

I just want to be able to BE the Alpha in the house!
When I took them to obedience school they both would not sit on the floor without a mat! :faint:

Can you guess who rules MY house???!!!

Otto'sMom
07-02-2006, 01:12 PM
During my 5 dogs at a time walk, the doxies are on a retractable leash, with the tripler, and they walk behind me, and Buddy and Dolly are doubled on a retractable and they're in front. Wonder what that means?:scratch:
I know Austin and I have some alpha issues to work on, but the rest of the pack seems to respect my authority.