PDA

View Full Version : Need for water

Mama S.
12-15-2005, 04:34 PM
OK, here's my question - my guys are crated. I leave for work at 8:30 in the morning. Go home 12 - 1 for lunch - Jamie is home by 4:30. Is this too long for them to go without water? I've been thinking about buying some of those water bottles that you see for rabbits to hang on the sides of their crates. Just curious - I've noticed that everyone goes outside to potty as soon as I comehome and then it's straight to the water bowl. Are they going too long without water?
Sandi

goldbergdsp
12-15-2005, 05:17 PM
I leave for work at 6:30 every morning, so Remy goes from then until about 2:00 when my mother gets home (Yes I still live at home, in a in-laws apartment, I am only 26 & getting married in November of 06 & I am house hunting right now) But when she gets home he goes out & pees right away. He drinks a little when he comes back in, but it is not crazy excited drinking like he is dehydrated or anything.

Courtney
12-15-2005, 05:17 PM
I would say no. If they get a lunch break then they have the opportunity to drink then, right? Mine are crated that long too - I come home at my lunch to let them out then they go back till I get home from work. Since mine are fed raw, though, they don't drink as much because their food is not dry, but they do drink at night, in the morning, etc. This morning Napoleon woke me up at 4:30 so I took him out to potty, then he came in and drank a ton of water. He had been eating lots of kibble I had put in a Kong for Miles. I really didn't appreciate the early wake up, but oh well! :)

Puppen
12-15-2005, 05:29 PM
hmmm i don't know, never crated mine before. they have water available 24/7 ..like us never know when they will suddenly be thirsty. my opinion is try the water bottles, at least they would have it if they wanted it

Patt
12-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Water is 24/7 here, I think I would try the water bottles hooked to the crates. At least it would be available in case they wanted to drink.

oceangirls
12-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Tristan had one in his pen when he was young, and it worked very well. I leave water for the girls in their crate, but they don't drink much when we are not there. So I don't think it will hurt your puppers to wait 4 hours or so, but if it does not matter to you, might as well buy a bottle. :)

isobelsmom
12-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Mine have gone for 6 hrs tops (of my being gone and not including over-night sleeping) and when I got home all anyone was concerned about was peeing. A few sips taken upon their coming back into the houe, but nothing more, like Rob said about Remy.

Sandi, if it would make you feel better then get them water bottles. But remember: what goes in must come out...so if they are doing well on housetraining, you might not want to give them a possible reason for a set-back. JMHO.....:hearts: