View Full Version : Weird poop question

Kerie
06-29-2006, 08:39 PM
I can only ask you people this one......

Oscar was with my parents all of last weekend. They are notorious for feeing him lots of people food and extra dog food. However, they insist that they limited it to cheese this time. He came home with us on Sunday night. Ever since Tuesday morning, I have noticed what looks like sesame seeds--a lot of them--in his poop. He does not seem sick. We did just get a fence in our yard and Oscar has been sniffing around, trying to eat leaves and grass. But we have not let him out unattended yet. I don't see anything that looks like Sesame Seeds out there.

Maybe my parents gave him something and forgot about it. Maybe he is getting into something that I am not thinking of. BUT...............

I am asking about this because I am wondering if there are any intestinal parasites that look like Sesame seeds. Oscar is UTD on all shots and on heartworm preventative.

PS--He also has yucky ears again but I assume that is totally unrelated. We will re-start the cleaning regimen from last time he had yucky ears!

Patt
06-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Well tapeworms look like dried rice could this be similiar? I had a Bichon that ate a mouse, her feces looked like it had rice (or sesame seeds) all through it. It was a particular kind of tapeworm and she was de-wormed by the vet. You should take a fecal sample into your vet and have it tested to see if it is in fact worms and which kind.

Regarding "yucky ears" you should be cleaning them a minimum of once a week, this will save on a build up of wax and other problems.

alfina
06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Yep, Patt is right. Tapeworm would look like rice in the poop.

areese
06-29-2006, 09:24 PM
I think tapeworms look a LOT like sesame seeds!!!! The "seeds" are one segment of the worm, each. My dogs never had them but my cat did.

laura
06-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Worms! Yep! Would bet my bippy on it!

catstamm
06-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Do the seaseme seeds move? Dogs get tapeworms from fleas...

Patt
06-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Here's what dried tapes look like....

http://maxshouse.com/Med%20Pix/tapeworms-seg%20crop.jpg

Kerie
06-29-2006, 10:34 PM
I have never seen the seeds move. If he has it again tomorrow, I'll bring his poop bag to the vet (I pick up his poop anyway). I wonder if she will want to see him or wait until she has done a test. If I don't see anything anymore, do I still need to do something?

I really don't think he's had fleas but he does try to eat any type of crawling bug that he sees.

Patt
06-30-2006, 01:44 AM
Tapeworms do not show in every BM. See if it happens tomorrow, if it doesn't wait till the next time and take it in for testing. Or if you are really worried take a fecal sample in any time. It a good idea to have it tested once in awhile.

Tex
06-30-2006, 07:24 AM
How's Oscar this am? Got an update?

Jen
06-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Sounds like it might be worms. Have you seen the 'seeds' again?

Laurie' s Dachshunds
06-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Is it possilbe that he was fed Italian bread or buns with seeds on them?
I hope it' s not worms!

Rae
06-30-2006, 10:04 AM
if it was something ingested over last weekend it would have surely all pooped out by now, yes?

my money is on tapes.

areese
06-30-2006, 10:39 AM
I'd really just call the vet and describe it-he shouldn't have to go in or anything if you know his weight. The thing is, those sesame seeds will crawl right out of his butt and not wait for poops, too. EW!! Tapeworms are yucky... But really easy to get rid of, too, unless you have a flea problem. He could have eaten a flea infested with them...my cats used to get them from killing mice and such.

Otto'sMom
06-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Why not post pics for us to judge?:shocked: :rotfl:

If not tapeworms, maybe ripe strawberries or a sesame seed bagle~

Kerie
06-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Oh people I really messed up. Oscar didn't poop today until just now. It is way after vet business hours but yeah, there were seeds. And had I called the vet at least? No. I was waiting to see more seed poop. Thing is, there is an area in our yard that Oscar is obsessed with. I think there are little flower buds in that area. Don't know if it is something he is eating there.

Please, pray that the vet has her usual Saturday morning hours tomorrow! I don't think that this is a job for the emergency hospital, so I want my real vet.

BTW--I keep looking at his butt area (as if I have nothing better to look at) and nothing in the outside looks unusual.

I really think he does have tape worm(s), after hearing from all of you and then searching online! I'll be embarrassed if there is some stupid explanation other than worms, but I'll be relieved.

areese
06-30-2006, 07:36 PM
He'll be fine, even if it is tapeworms (which I'm thinking it is). He didn't just get them this weekend I don't think.. It takes awhile for them to mature and get to the shedding segment stage. I know it's kinda gross thinking about it and all but it's not gonna make him really sick to wait a few days. It really isn't an emergency although I know you'd like it to be taken care of right away.
Here's :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for the vet being open tomorrow!!!!

Patt
06-30-2006, 08:00 PM
No need to fret, you did not mess up and you are not a bad mom. It is not an emergency and if your vet is closed tomorrow next week will be soon enough. It's probably just tapes, they look gross but trust me he will be okay!

Kerie
06-30-2006, 08:09 PM
We're supposed to go to my summer house from Sun-Tues. Oscar is coming with us. I don't want him to be sick there and I don't want him to have anything odd coming out his butt! Vet may be there tomorrow AM.

Kerie
07-01-2006, 11:57 AM
OK, the poop is at the vet as we speak! I'll let ya know!

Kerie
07-01-2006, 01:15 PM
It's not tapeworm(s)!!! The vet said that he seems to be eating some type of plant. The seeds in his poop are very firm and really just like sesame seeds. She said that tapeworm would be soft. She looked under a microscope and thinks it's seeds. No charge for today's vet visit! I think this is one reason for keeping a relationship with one vet throughout a pet's life!

There is an area of the yard that he loves and we keep checking to see if he is eating anything there. My husband thinks he found some similar seeds on the ground.

I'm glad I checked but I hope you still take me seriously with my next Oscar scare!

Kerie
07-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I Caught him red handed! Look.

Coming out of his favorite backyard area--licking his lips! http://www.liweddings.com/mywedding/album/i/58866.jpg

With leaves hanging from his mouth: http://www.liweddings.com/mywedding/album/i/58865.jpg

So excited, he cannot contain himself:
http://www.liweddings.com/mywedding/album/i/58867.jpg

areese
07-01-2006, 05:29 PM
OMG Mystery solved!!! What a silly silly boy he is!

Patt
07-01-2006, 11:07 PM
No problem Keri, I'm happy to hear it's only seeds from a plant of some sort. :appl: I don't think you can ever be too careful when it comes to our puppers health.