PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ wieght loss!!!

catstamm
06-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Jen Jen is somewhere between 9 and 12 yrs. When I brought her into my life she was a whopping 23 lbs and morbidly obese, lord knows what she must have been eating her whole life :shocked: After being with me 6 mths I also realized she had never been spayed, Good God!:confused:
Since she has been with me she has been on Canidae Platinum for overwieght seniors, a flat 1/4 cp 2 X a day, and is down to 16.9 lbs...... she has reached a plateau....hasn't lost an ounce in 6 mths :sosad:
Jen is not an active dog by any means....and would actually be the happiest girl in the world if she were permanently attached to me :hug99:
I'm sure she has had a few litters in her life because she has a lot of loose skin.....
any ideas or suggestions to get this last 1.5 lbs off?????:scratch: Jen's ideal wieght would be about 15 lbs...
It sucks getting old :rotfl:

Linus
06-29-2006, 10:54 PM
A very knowledgeable friend of mine mixes pureed green beans in with the kibble. That way you can feed enough to let her feel full, but the green beans won't add fat.

catstamm
06-29-2006, 11:08 PM
What amount of kibble does she suggest and how much of the green beans.....?

Linus
06-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Lu gets 1/3 cup of kibble, and I'm not sure how much green beans, but as long as they are unsalted the amount is really up to the dog...to an extent.

catstamm
06-30-2006, 12:01 AM
1/3 cp once a day or twice? If it's twice, that would be more food than she eats now :confused:

Linus
06-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Sorry, Lu is a very active standard, so she does get more food. For Jen, maybe cut her 1/2 cup total daily to 1/3 cup divided between two servings with green beens mixed in?

catstamm
06-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try starting in the morning and keep you posted.

Linus
06-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Cool! Lucy lost a TON of weight with that. Good luck!!

Patt
06-30-2006, 12:51 AM
When Trixie gains a little weight I feed her Purina's OM. It always works.
:goodluck: in whatever you choose.

Tex
06-30-2006, 07:40 AM
When Trixie gains a little weight I feed her Purina's OM. It always works.
:goodluck: in whatever you choose.

Ok, I'm assuming the OM stands for overweight something? I'm still trying to about .5-1 lb. off of Julie.....I may try the green bean thing. But do you have more info. on this food Patt?

Jen
06-30-2006, 09:15 AM
I'd say cut the kibble you normally feed and add the green beans and maybe some 100% pure pumpkin. And no extra treats. If you could walk her a bit more, even 10 min a day, it would help. Just like humans, less food, more exercise....

Almost Doxie
06-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Millie is battling a weight problem too. Everytime we get her close to her ideal weight, she has an allergy situation and ends up on a sterroid and gains some weight back. She is getting 1/2 C a day total in kibble and 1/4 - 1/3 can of green beans at each feeding. How much pumpkin could we add? Is it just fiber to help them feel full?

Patt
06-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Ok, I'm assuming the OM stands for overweight something? Overweight Management.

Chrystyna
07-05-2006, 05:02 PM
The green beans are a great trick! We used them on our min pin. One thing to keep in mind is the overweight kibble is sometimes loaded down with grains which could be stopping her from losing any extra weight. You might want to consider putting her on a regular kibble and not giving her as much. Then add the green beans to that and see how it goes. You asked earlier how much she could have of the green beans. We get the taller cans and the dogs originally got 1/2 can each. If that's too much they'll tell you by throwing them up. If she does that then back off how many you're giving to her at one time. If you feed her twice a day I'd break the green beans up to twice a day also and feed with her kibble. If you feed her kibble once a day then give her all the green beans at once for a 2nd meal.

Good luck!