View Full Version : We don't need to have dentals done

Jacqueline
07-05-2006, 07:21 PM
The girls got to see the vet today. Daisy got her parvo booster and a heartworm test.....and both got surprise manicures. While there, the vet checked their teeth, and said neither one of them needed to have a dental done. Chewing on the marrow bones has cleaned their teeth up all nice and white, and Daisy has just the bit of tartar on the back, which can be massaged away....said we won't even really need the brush.

They were so good today about getting their nails clipped, too. I think they are getting used to it now, but I still don't want to donate flesh and blood and try it at home anymore.

I'm so happy about not needing the dentals....I think this calls for fresh bones all around :banana: :banana: :banana:

AgileOllie
07-05-2006, 07:28 PM
That is something to celebrate!! Way to go girlies!!

The girls got to see the vet today. Daisy got her parvo booster and a heartworm test.....and both got surprise manicures. While there, the vet checked their teeth, and said neither one of them needed to have a dental done. Chewing on the marrow bones has cleaned their teeth up all nice and white, and Daisy has just the bit of tartar on the back, which can be massaged away....said we won't even really need the brush.

They were so good today about getting their nails clipped, too. I think they are getting used to it now, but I still don't want to donate flesh and blood and try it at home anymore.

I'm so happy about not needing the dentals....I think this calls for fresh bones all around :banana: :banana: :banana:

LUVMYGUNNER
07-05-2006, 11:16 PM
That is great news. Gunner had one done when he was neutered and the vet said he realy didn't have that much.

Frzframe
07-05-2006, 11:31 PM
That is great news. I need to find a place to buy bones for my crew.

Patt
07-05-2006, 11:45 PM
That is awesome. :appl: :appl: ITA bones for all to celebrate. :cheer2: :cheer2:

Lee Anne
07-06-2006, 12:02 AM
I want info on good bones. Where do ya buy 'em? How do you prepare 'em? When I buy the greasy bones at the pet store, everybody gets the squirts. It's WAAAAY gross!

Congrats to the girls on the good teeth Jacqueline! You get a Good Mommy Star!:cheer2: :banana: :cheer2:

Tex
07-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Yippy!!! No trip to the dentist here!!! (I hate the dentist myself......glad your pups don't have to go!):cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Jen
07-06-2006, 10:20 AM
I get raw bones from my butcher--he just cuts up a cow leg into slices.

If you have only a grocery store meat counter then soup bones will do--they usually have them packaged in the meat section.

But RAW bones is key--and you can scoop out some of the marrow for them if it causes digestive issues.

Congrats on your two not needing a dental. Expensive and stressful for everyone, so its great the bones have done the trick!

Otto'sMom
07-06-2006, 12:03 PM
:cheer2: What great news. Those dental bills can really break the bank.
I have some of those greasy bones in my cupboard. My dogs LOVE LOVE LOVE them and no squirtiepoos for them. Can't give them out till Otto's gets his dental done, he'll hurt his sore toofies with it:sosad:

Jacqueline
07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
I get raw bones from my butcher--he just cuts up a cow leg into slices.

If you have only a grocery store meat counter then soup bones will do--they usually have them packaged in the meat section.

But RAW bones is key--and you can scoop out some of the marrow for them if it causes digestive issues.

Congrats on your two not needing a dental. Expensive and stressful for everyone, so its great the bones have done the trick!

I'm lucky, because Publix has real meat cutters. My vet said to boil the bones for 4 minutes, so that is what I do. I boil the water, then drop the bones in for 4 minutes. Sometimes the marrow still looks a little bloody, but it drains while it cools. I have frozen the bones, and they like them that way, too...just a tad thawed out. I do know they prefer the wide ones that they can get their little mouths into more than the narrow ones.

Having such a good report is worth having them leave bones in the floor for me to trip over, lol. I really was not looking forward to having them put under for a dental. I am also lucky that my two never fight over bones. They share. They will chew on one for a while, then trade.