PDA

View Full Version : I think this is my first Butters post in Bad Dog

Anatresia
07-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Butters is driving me up a freakin' wall right now. He cries for EVERYTHING. At the present moment, he is crying because he wants to eat my cereal. In a little while, he'll cry because he wants a walk. Then he'll cry to go out. Then he'll cry because he wants to sit on my lap.

The other night he cried for a half hour because we had a bag of Combos on the coffee table and he wanted a Combo. It was pathetic. I did give in (bad mommy) and he shut up. I know, that's why he cries. Because he's so pathetic and cute and it works.

Must be strong. I just told him, "No. Shut up. Go lay down." Do you know how hard it is to yell at BUTTERS?

Now he looked at me, walked to the side door, and walked back, crying all the way. It's walk time. He knows I finished my cereal. Man, is he a pain.

And now, he's hitting me with his nose- that's when he gets really desperate.

Jen
07-06-2006, 10:50 AM
This is hard, he's so cute, but have you tried the spray bottle? Quiet and a squirt?

Tasha doesn't cry, thank dog, she just sits and STARES when she wants food. I must take a pic sometime!

Anatresia
07-06-2006, 10:58 AM
It was play time, it appears. I laid down to talk to him and he attacked me, tugging my sleeve, getting his bird toy, kissing. He wanted some attention and now he's fine.

My little :angel7: is making me :duh:

Courtney
07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Sounds like he has you trained REALLY well!! Maybe it is time for a role reversal? I suggest the book "Leader of the Pack" by Patricia McConnell!

Rae
07-06-2006, 11:28 AM
maybe he is a sissy boy to make up for Rigby's butch side? :rotfl:

Thank Dog Duchie does not cry , but she will give me a LQQK to stop traffic if I am in the remote vicinity of the kitchen and she thinks there is food.

I cannot imagine how hard it would be to fuss on Mr Perfect Doggie. Good luck with that,,,

Patt
07-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately you reap what you sow and your yelling is like his barking. So he’s crying and you’re barking;
now there’s a pair to draw to. :rotfl: :rotfl: Good Luck!

Otto'sMom
07-06-2006, 11:54 AM
:hug99: I feel for ya. I can't bear to hear Grrrrrt make her little 'pick me up' noises or Otto harrumphing me. I am really well trained, and if there's a lapse in my training, I get a wet surprize somewhere, even if we JUST went out. Dolly will tell me she wants something, but she does it so often I can't discern what she's telling me. Austie actually doesn't bug me like that. He just barges in and takes what he wants if I'd let him.

Buddy is my only good dog. If he's demanding, he'll just *SIT* so hard on his hinder that I'm obligated to reward it. Such a good sit!

I'm pack leader outside, but not indoors.:scratch: Fix that Patricia McConnell!

Frzframe
07-06-2006, 12:13 PM
NOT MR. B you're making it all up and I won't believe a word of it. :)

Mitzi will beg pumping her little legs faster and faster until I think she's gonna fly away. :lol:

Tex
07-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Not precious Mr. B!!!! Sounds like a role reversal is definitly in order....it's hard, but you can do it!

Chrystyna
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Paying attention to him when he acts like that is the worst thing you can do. Patricia McConnell's books are really good. The one Courtney suggested helped me a lot. When they behave badly (or they do something you don't like) you have to ignore them. Bad attention is just as good as good attention to a dog. Yelling at him, telling him to stop, giving him the treat he so desperately wants are all ways that you're telling him it's ok what he's doing.

The spray bottle is my best friend. We have one in every room. If they're doing something I don't like I tell them No (or Quiet if they're barking). If the action doesn't stop then I grab the squirt bottle. They do it again and get a little shot of water right in their face. They always stop after that. It will take a few times of you doing it before he catches on that his actions get him wet, but it will work. If you have an odd doxie that happens to like water then the squirt bottle won't work. Try a penny can instead (get a coke can and fill it with about 5 or 6 pennies) then tape the opening. Instead of squirting him, shake the can. They hate the noise and usually stop immediately!

Just remember...you're the boss :banana:

Good luck!

Lee Anne
07-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Hmmmm Dr. Frakenstien... sounds like you've created quite the little (adorable) monster. Mwhahahahaha! You already know what you have to do. Now you just have to find the courage to do it, eh? I know it's hard!! But you can! :hug99:

Alex's Mom
07-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Are you sure Rigby isn't making him do it?? :rotfl:

Jacqueline
07-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I use a can of compressed air. I tell them to stop, then tiny little shot of air. I think maybe it makes the Shhhh noise Cesar suggests. Or, if I have my ring on, I might tap the side of the can. Usually, after the first shhhh, I can just shake the can, and it will do the trick, no noise involved.

Yeah, I have Taffy Crybaby here, who will do the same thing. Whine, play with me, Whine, pet me, Whine, WHine, Whine. No rewards....peace and quite.

On an side note, my youngest son had a girlfriend who whined a lot like that. Wish I had known how to shoot at her with compressed air :rotfl:

catstamm
07-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Well I see who the boss is in your house....:rotfl: Mr Butter's knows ...if it works, do it! Mommy, do you give into his demands????

doxiechick
07-07-2006, 02:31 PM
What is Mr. Butters learning? He is learning or already learned that whinning or crying gets him what he wants. I would suggest ignoring him when he does this. Yes, it will be hard because he has already learned that it works.

You are in control of all his resources; food, water, treats, playtime, everything.You decide when he gets stuff, not him. Treat when he is being good, ignore him when he is not. JMO

quavec
07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Cricket was our Mr. Perfect. He is in the dog house (crate actually) right now for chewing. 3 years of no chewing and now he retaliates against us for leaving him w/my FIL who overfed him :rolleyes: what a doofus :duh: .

He will give the L@@K for food and also will paw at your feet to get your lazy butt up off the couch to play or let him out. No whining - growling though.

Anatresia
07-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I know the crying thing is our fault. I say, "our" because it's a group effort to spoil him- Paul, "gramma", me.

I think he knows who's boss. He likes to try to control us. We don't always give in. Sometimes I just tell him to be quiet and lay down and we ignore him and he goes away.

Kerie
07-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Well, my Oscar wants to welcome Butters to the bad dog section of the site! The dogs here, well, if they were children, they would be the ones who sit at the back of the school bus. But I'm sure you know that, as a DLC'er!

Anyway, Oscar does the thing where he nudges me with his nose and sometimes does the other stuff you mentioned. Our trainer said that it's like a spoiled child saying, "gimme that, now, I'm gonna scream if you don't." That's why I know that my Oscar is like the bully from the back of the bus! Our trainer suggested the same book that Courtney suggested above. It was very helpful and I am now begging my husband to read it.

And, how cute would that bus full of dachshunds be anyway, even if they did misbehave?

Alex's Mom
07-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Well, my Oscar wants to welcome Butters to the bad dog section of the site! The dogs here, well, if they were children, they would be the ones who sit at the back of the school bus.

OMG, :rotfl: That does create a picture...my Alex would be the James Dean (female version)...black leather jacket, too cool for words, just leave me alone, or I'm gonna eat you! Except of course, for the love interest (that would be me:rolleyes:)!!

Anatresia
07-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Very cute scenario (the bus!) Rigby would be the one setting things on fire, I think! Mr. B is a spoiled rich kid stamping his feet to get what he wants.:rotfl: Such a brat!