PDA

View Full Version : My little Angel is becoming a

quavec
07-10-2006, 12:01 PM
:evilgrin: . It started with eating GI Joe's toes and Jasmine the Bratz doll's fingers. It has now progressed to jumping onto the dining room chair and trying to lick the table clean - along with any dishes left there. :curse:

Thankfully, I have been the one to discover all of these new habits of his and not DH or my FIL. Cricket was put in time out yesterday after I discovered him on the dining room chair.

I do not know what to do. His only chewing episodes were when we first got him and a stern NO did the trick (took about 2 weeks). The kids do not leave their toys on the floor. They put them in stackable boxes with open fronts. Right now, that is all we have to work with until we move back home. So, he was getting into the toys on his own. He has now been relagated back into his crate during the day and when we leave the house :sosad: . So far, he hasn't progressed to shoes or other items - just the kids' toys, and he seems to only do it when we are not around (at work, outside or in another room).

Could this be due to our leaving him for so long - the longest we have ever left him. Or from his diet of green beans and kibble? If so, I am hoping he does not progress to leaving us surprises in the house. FIL or DH would not look kindly upon that after having him for so long.

What can I do to correct this? Any ideas?

Oh, and speaking of the diet thing, he is beginning to turn his nose up at the kibble. :scratch: And only eating the green beans. What is up with that?

catstamm
07-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Does he have his own toys???? Maybe you need to tire him out before you leave him alone....a long walk and some toys...

Patt
07-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I doubt it is from your trip or the diet, it sounds like he is really bored. Perhaps you need the 45 min walk in the a.m. and p.m. to use up that extra energy. A tired pupper is a good pupper. Use the NILIF method, give this 'kid' a job. Be sure to push the chairs in so he can't get on them.

quavec
07-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I think you guys may be right. I'll have to make it a point to ......::gasp:: :shocked: ......excersise outdoors with him (see, I can't even spell the word correctly, much less do it). :duh:

Truly though - we haven't played with him as much in the past few weeks as we could have. He really is being neglected :sosad:.

Jen
07-10-2006, 05:37 PM
ITA more exercise is key and maybe 5 min in the am and pm to play with HIS toys with him? I often have to tear myself away from the DLC at night to do some toy time with Tasha!!

Not sure about the kibble. :scratch:

jenfer
07-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Sounds like he is bored. Does he has a kong or some treat toy when you are not home? That way he got toy and treat? Or put his breakfast in his kong? I do that to Gigi too.

As for the chewing, I would think Time out is a good idea. And push your chairs in when you are not sitting at the table.

Tex
07-10-2006, 07:29 PM
I definitly agree with the long walkies idea.......not sure what to make of the food?? I just started feeding Julie kibble and green beans......

quavec
07-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah, he is turning his cold, wet nose up at the kibble now and waiting for the green beans. Since the nutrition value in the beans isn't great, I'm thinking I will have to nix the green bean idea. I fed him last night - kibble and beans and all he ate were the beans. This morning, however, the kibble was gone so he must have gotten the munchies last night (and couldn't find a GI Joe to gnaw on).

DH stayed home yesterday and said he played w/Cricket most of the day. He was a happy dog when I got home. We are still keeping him crated but may release him from crate arrest this weekend. I just hate having him crated again while we are gone. :sosad:

Rae
07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
We are still keeping him crated but may release him from crate arrest this weekend. I just hate having him crated again while we are gone. :sosad:

yeah but don't you hate carnage of Barbie and GI Joe and potty on the floor worse?

quavec
07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Ah, the carnage of Barbie would be sweet - unfortunately, my daughter is in a Bratz craze and Barbie's are just not her thing. :sosad:

And, yeah, not stepping in a present is worth it but so is seeing his guilty little face peaking from behind the couch pillows when I walk in the door ;)

Jen
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM
How about an exercise pen indoors? A little more room. Or gate him in an area?

You could try giving the kibble first and green beans for afters....

Did you switch kibbles lately?

quavec
07-11-2006, 03:38 PM
No kibble swithces. It's been either original NB or low cal NB - and the low cal has been for about 6 months now.

I am going to PetSmart this weekend (some more CIJ shopping to do) and will check out the selection there. Something someone said about carbs etc.....maybe I can x out the green beans completely.

An Xpen right now isn't feesible. We are so cramped indoors to begin with and all of our stuff we've accumulated over the past year is overtaking the FILs house already. I'd hate to add anything more. We've only got about 4 more weeks to go (fingers crossed) and we'll be back home. He'll have a fenced in yard and we're thinking of letting him have the sunroom (new addition) during the day.

Rae
07-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Carrol is he acting any better now that you have been home a while?

quavec
07-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah - sort of. But it's hard to judge his behaviour right now because my FIL is home on vacation with my little BIL and they've been in and out of the house throughout the day and play with him.

Which proves that many of you were right about his temperment resulting from boredom.

GI Joe and Jasmine the Bratz doll are safe for now.... :evilgrin: