PDA

View Full Version : okay so not a bad dog but a potty question?

Dijon04
07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
okay so my poor baby is home alone for like 10 hours during the day....he mostly has run of the apt except the bedroom/den/bathroom are closed off.

the issue is that i have pee pee pads laid down for him but he doesnt use it...he holds it until i get home???? poor baby

should i be grateful that he's so well behaved in that aspect? or encourage him to use the pads? i dont want him getting an infection or anything?

am i just a worrywart?

Linus
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Bailey sometimes holds it that long too, and sometimes he doesn't and uses the pads. Does he have access to water while you are gone? I don't really know if its detrimental for him to hold it that long. If someone here doesn't know, I would call your vet. Sorry I wasn't much help.

catstamm
07-11-2006, 06:14 PM
I think he is playing a good one on you....he's going somewhere!!!! 10 hrs is a long time to hold it, unless they are sleeping and even then :scratch: ....I would worry about UTI if he is holding it that long..... have you asked your vet? I'm sure others will have some good advice.

Patt
07-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I think it is fine and I would be grateful for a dog to hold their urine that long. I would not encourage him to use the pads, but they are available if he needs them. JMO I've read that adult dogs can hold urine for 8-12 hours, 12 hours definitely being the max.

I agree I think you should check with your vet to be sure. Also let us know what he or she advises. :)

Tex
07-11-2006, 07:18 PM
I dunno.....I would definitly check behind your furniture just to be sure.....Sounds like everybody has covered the basics. I would think that holding it for too long on a regular basis could be bad....but I'm not a vet so :scratch: . Good luck!!!

Dijon04
07-11-2006, 09:16 PM
thanks for the ideas....and no no urine in the house....i mean he goes okay when i take him out and doesnt seem to have trouble when he's going....

but i'll ask the vet next time we go.....

Jen
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
I think its probably fine. Tasha gets her last walk of the day around 8:30 pm and holds it till 6:30 am or so. 10 hours.

Then we're at work and don't get home to walk her till 6pm about 11 hours (as walkes lasts till 7:15 am and she always marks as well as the big pee). And its not like she runs to the curb and goes immediately, like some dogs I see do, sometimes she'll wait a few blocks before peeing. So I think it should be ok, based on my experience with Tasha.