PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance

catstamm
07-17-2006, 07:23 PM
I was just wondering how many of you have pet insurance?
I was thinking about getting it for Carlee and Cami :scratch:
If you do, maybe you could answer these questions to help me decide;
1. Company or carrier?
2. What's covered?
3. What not covered?
4. annual or monthly cost?
5. deductable?
6. Are you happy with the insurance, and do you think it saves you money?
Thanks for all your help :hug99:

Jill
07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
I am not sure if this is going to help you or not, but we have the wellness plans through Banfield. We pay $20 a month per dog and it covers all the basics. Vaccines, office visits, we love it.

Patt
07-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Cat, I don't have pet insurance but many of my vets clients are very pleased with VPI. Here's a few links if you want to check them out. I usually recommend a savings account for vet care.

http://www.urbanhound.com/houndHealth/healthInsurance.html

http://www.petsbest.com/

www.petshealthplan.com

http://www.firstpetlife.com/

Tex
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
I am not sure if this is going to help you or not, but we have the wellness plans through Banfield. We pay $20 a month per dog and it covers all the basics. Vaccines, office visits, we love it.
We go to Banfield too!!!! Both Julie & Jax are on the $27.95 a month plan bc that one covers a dental once a year! It's not the same as pet insurance.
I would imagine, especially with Cami, that an insurance plan that is more similar to the ones for us hoomans may be a better deal. I don't know much about them, but I'll see what I can find out......

Fluffy
07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
This is Cara disguised as Fluffy (still can't get my Dad's computer to log Fluff off and let me log on!).

I have VPI for my guinea pigs. It costs $8.30 a month per pig. It has saved us a TON of money. There is a $50.00 deductable. Grace has been sick with pneumoina twice this year and has a bladder stone, those visits, treatments, and meds were well over $400.00. After the deductable they covered almost all of her visits and they will cover most of the cost of her pain meds for the bladder stone.

I looked into getting the boys insured, however, it was $33.50 per dog per month. It's just not worth it. I sock away money into a savings account for dentals and Mac's visits (He's on phenobarb for seizures and has to have blood work done every so often). Buddy's back was a pre-existing condition. Most people at my vet's do the same, savings account. There are a number of things they don't cover but I can't remember and I'm not at home to check the list I made. Google VPI for an email address or phone number. The number has USA in it but I can't remember it!

Lee Anne
07-18-2006, 11:33 PM
I have VPI for Ruckus and Rowdie and will probably cancel it next year.

catstamm
07-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks Fluff, you helped a lot!!!!
Sorry, Cara...credit where credit is due...
Pm a mod about that log off problem...

Patt
07-19-2006, 12:20 AM
petinsurance.com. or call 1-800 872-7387 (800-USA-PETS)

Courtney
07-19-2006, 12:50 AM
If you start your dog on it as a young puppy it may be worth it. But if your dogs have existing health conditions, forget it. You will have to document them and they won't cover anything. I canceled VPI before it was due to renew. It was a total rip off for me!

Sophie and Lili's Mom
07-19-2006, 08:40 AM
many folks will just take and put 20 or 30 per dog (that is what insurance will cost) in an interest bearing savings account. After the first couple years you have a nice emergency fund there. That way no one is making money off you...

Think about it...if you pay 30 a month, that is 360 a year. How often does a dog need anything more than annuals which cost at most 200 a year (that is including a full blood panel)? Yes it does happen but not often. In the 12 years we have had Mischief, she has had 12 annual exams (annual blood work only the last 5 - because she is senior), 3 dentals (I attribute this in part to the quality of food we feed, though I do know there are some dogs that just have bad teeth - just like humans) and one ER visit (not something covered under insurance a lot of the time) for an undiagnosed blindness condition which went away. If we had been paying insurance (on just her) the past 12 years...we would have paid 4320. Her vet expenese including the ER visit would not come to that. Now if we had started putting 30 in savings when she was a puppy we would have that plus interest if something happened. Also, if you do get insurance - ask not only does it cover back surgery, but what kinds of back surgery? Does it cover other kinds of back treatments that might be alternative to surgery? Often acupunture will prevent surgery or be needed as follow up care. If we were to set aside 30 a month for each dog (unless things have changed they don't give a multidog discount) we would be paying 150 a month...

Just a thought...