PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY The Agility video on Google video!

areese
07-18-2006, 08:37 AM
There should be one for Owen too but it hasn't shown up yet....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5508104789725102066&q=dachshund+agility
Laika is running a CPE Fullhouse course. It's a run where you make up your own course. The object is to get three single bar jumps, two "circles" (tire jumps, chutes, and tunnels) and one "joker" which are the contact obstacles (dogwalk, teeter or A-frame), weaves, and the double or triple jump. And you have to get a certain amount of points ( single jumps are 1, circles are 3, jokers are 5). I think we needed 25...we got 35 I think...got a first place!. O yeah-you have 40 seconds total..the whistle blows at 35 seconds and they stop counting points and you have 5 seconds to get to the table.

Tex
07-18-2006, 08:58 AM
:omg: Those videos are awesome!!!!!! How did Owen do on points? Man, that was great to finally get to see them both in action!!!!!

areese
07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
:omg: Those videos are awesome!!!!!! How did Owen do on points? Man, that was great to finally get to see them both in action!!!!!

Is Owen's on there???? I didn't see it yet. I mean I've SEEN it but not on google. His run on google wasn't a Fullhouse run so he didn't get points. His was Jumpers. He got a third place I believe...it was a good run though-I think 10 seconds under time which is amazing for a dachshund. He got beat by a jack russel and a papillon.
Owen actually didn't qualify his fullhouse. He ran by the a-frame (I did the same course with both) and hten turned around and struggled up it the other way. We had enough points (that took up quite a bit of my 35 seconds LOL buthe needs less points cuz he's in level 3) but it took us 6 seconds to get to the table after the whistle, that means they take away one point so we didn't have enough :(

Anatresia
07-18-2006, 09:16 AM
That was great!!! I am so excited to start Rigby on something like that. I think she'd do well!

Laika is BEAUTIFUL!!!!:hearts:

Alex's Mom
07-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Owen looks like he's having so much fun...that little dog is just too much cuteness!!!! :hearts: Owen!!! And Laika is really awesome too! You guys must really be enjoying all this activity! :cheer2: :cheer2:

areese
07-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Owen looks like he's having so much fun...that little dog is just too much cuteness!!!! :hearts: Owen!!! And Laika is really awesome too! You guys must really be enjoying all this activity! :cheer2: :cheer2:
Owen does love it A LOT. He looks so happy and is so happy running. I do love it, too. Laika...she likes the social aspects and the treats and she often gets going fast and is having fun but Owen likes it better.
Here's the link to Owey's
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2779904767313536066&q=dachshund+agility

catstamm
07-18-2006, 09:50 AM
OMG those videos are great Amy.....:hearts: They are so adorable!!!

laura
07-18-2006, 10:00 AM
how did you get them started in all that?

areese
07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
how did you get them started in all that?

I never planned on doing agility or I prob. wouldn't have gotten a doxie...but that's a different story. But anyway...Laika was in obedience out here and the guy had a course in his yard-he was a police officer and trained police dogs. One day during class we all went out to the course...the dogs were all afraid to death of doing the obstacles except for Laika. She was 6 months old at the time. She just had a ball so when she got to be a year old I looked for an agility training facility..there's one only 3 miles from us! And they are great...so we got hooked. I started Owen in it just for his confidence and he loves it so much we continued. Laika has been a challenge cuz of her attitude but when she's good, she's good :) I've met so many really great people and I love where we train....it's all been very good.

Patt
07-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Great video's. Both of the 'kids' did a good job. :appl: :appl:

bjmedd
07-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Oh Amy, those are awesome videos. I didn't realize we had little agility stars in our local doxie meetups! I would have loved to get Abby involved with that when she was younger. Do you think 18 months old is too old to start?

areese
07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Oh Amy, those are awesome videos. I didn't realize we had little agility stars in our local doxie meetups! I would have loved to get Abby involved with that when she was younger. Do you think 18 months old is too old to start?

No, 18 months is a PERFECT age to start. You can't start really young jumping cuz of their growth plates-you want them to be closed before you do it. And there are training facilities in Ann Arbor-if you want I can find out the scoop on who's good....
Those runs on the video are in Dexter-there's a great place there with nice people.
I should say I don't think agility is for every doxie (or every dog for that matter) My dogs are somewhat long-legged, not really long-backed and are athletic in general. Owen doesn't have a lot of heavy bone so he's very light on his feet. You can see he jumps really well. TOO high, actually but it's so darn cute...

phoria2
07-18-2006, 11:04 AM
That was great!!!. :cheer2: And you could realy tell you both were having fun! I've thought about agility for Abby (she LOVES to run and climb things) but since she is little (~8lbs) I am worried about her back. How high are the jumps?

areese
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
That was great!!!. :cheer2: And you could realy tell you both were having fun! I've thought about agility for Abby (she LOVES to run and climb things) but since she is little (~8lbs) I am worried about her back. How high are the jumps?

My dogs jump 8 inches. Laika is pretty "big" -14 pounds. Owen is 11 pounds. I think Laika is about 81/2 inches at the shoulder, Owen is an inch or two shorter.
Owen is small enough that in CPE he could jump 4. I don't think most agility venues have a 4 inch category. in CPE, dahchsunds are a breed that qualifies as an "early veteran" so can jump 4 inches lower if you want them to.
The A-frame is something I worried about with the doxies but in CPE it is only 5'3" tall and my dogs can climb it easily. Some places teach the dog to do a two-on two off stop at the end of the contact obstacles (A-frame, dogwalk, teeter) but I don't do that as I think it could jar their back.

Courtney
07-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Those are SOOO CUTE!! In horse show jumping they have a class called Gambler's Choice where each jump is worth a certain # of points and there is a Joker fence worth more. So much fun! I am dying to get Thor started in agility!! I make him jump the concrete parking bar things at obedience class... :)

lizzieb38
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: run wienie run!!!!! It is so neat to get to see them in action.:cheer2: :cheer2:

AgileOllie
07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Great job!! It looks like she really enjoys it too. That's the most important thing!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
I love those videos!!! They are so cute!!! :appl: Great job on getting them to go thru all of it. I bet they have a blast running thru it!

bjmedd
07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
No, 18 months is a PERFECT age to start. You can't start really young jumping cuz of their growth plates-you want them to be closed before you do it. And there are training facilities in Ann Arbor-if you want I can find out the scoop on who's good....
Those runs on the video are in Dexter-there's a great place there with nice people.
I should say I don't think agility is for every doxie (or every dog for that matter) My dogs are somewhat long-legged, not really long-backed and are athletic in general. Owen doesn't have a lot of heavy bone so he's very light on his feet. You can see he jumps really well. TOO high, actually but it's so darn cute...

It would be awesome if you could find out who's good here in Ann Arbor. I would love to have just one more thing to do in my already crazy schedule...however, *this* is something I think I would really enjoy. I love spending time with Abby...this would be a great outlet for both of us.

mcvwdox
07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Your pups are awesome!

areese
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
It would be awesome if you could find out who's good here in Ann Arbor. I would love to have just one more thing to do in my already crazy schedule...however, *this* is something I think I would really enjoy. I love spending time with Abby...this would be a great outlet for both of us.

I will ask around. I KNOW there are trainers out there but I don't know how they train and who is good. But I have CONNECTIONS LOL. I'll email some friends right now.
YOu are right, the very best thing about agility is spending the time with your dog and doing something together that takes thinking and training...Laika is a busy dog and needs her little mind occupied. Owen just loves running with me. :)
I'll get back with you for sure!