PDA

View Full Version : Pack Order, When did it Change??

Otto'sMom
07-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Normally, I'd say the pack order of the anipals is Otto is the Alpha, Buddy is second male, Dolly is Alpha female, Austin before Grrrrt.
While I was home sick yesterday, I had stopped at the store for some dinner, a smoked turkey leg looked kinda yummy, figured I'd make a sammich out of it.
Of course the herd is gathered in the kitchen, knowing full well that Mommy gives handouts, there was too much meat for a sammich anyway. I decided to let Dolly have the bone, with the big joint on the end and a lot of meat.
She takes it very gingerly and lowers her head with it and right before my very eyes Austin slowly puts his mouth on the other end of the leg and STEALS IT FROM DOLLY!!! *YOINK* Dolly, my girl who'd split Otto's ear over a pizza. Dolly, who's notched Grrrrt's ear over her bowl of food. She just let him run off to his kennel with it, following him but not taking it back. Not even using her "habba habba" swear words bark at him. She just let him do it.
Now, I'm confused. Is Austin before Dolly? She pinned his randy little ass when they first met because he kept trying to hump her. Is Otto losing his leadership role?:confused: They all defer to Buddy if he growls. Just who is king these days? Austin ALWAYS is where ever I am, the rest of the dogs will follow if they know I'm going to stay away for more than a minute, but Austin is at my feet when I'm peeing or in the kitchen for a drink. Dolly was verrry clingy yesterday when I wasn't feeling well, she laid on my congested chest and snored away the afternoon with me. I'd like to know what's going on in the dynamics of my pack.:scratch:

quavec
07-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Could things have shifted from the move? :scratch:

Oh, BTW, there is a cafe in St. Martin/D'Iberville called "Sammich's". I think of you and Rae every time I pass by it. :rotfl:

lizzieb38
07-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Holy smokes, I misread, and thought you said," he was at your feet when you were peeing in the kitchen!":rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Maybe he is becoming the leader. Is Otto alot older than Austin, if so maybe Otto's just getting old, and doesn't want to fight for things:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

catstamm
07-18-2006, 03:16 PM
That is really wierd that you bring this up. Lee Anne and I were just talking about this today. There has been a shift in her pack order also :scratch:

Otto'sMom
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Otto is 9 and Austin is going on 4. Austin will attempt to dominate Otto but the second Otto makes a grunt of disapproval, he backs down.

Come on now, I'm NOT JanUet, I don't pee when I'm laughing so I'm NOT PEEING IN MY KITCHEN. The cats do that :stoopidcats: :mad:

catstamm
07-18-2006, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE= Is Otto alot older than Austin, if so maybe Otto's just getting old, and doesn't want to fight for things:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:[/QUOTE]
I was thinking that also....Jen Jen is the pack leader in our house, but she'll tolerate behavior from Cami, that she won't tolerate for a minute from Carlee. Maybe it's cuz she has raised Cami????

Frzframe
07-18-2006, 03:25 PM
This is interesting because I have no clue as to who is really the pack leader in my bunch. I try to figure it out but I'm dazed and confussed by it all. :scratch:

JanUet
07-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Come on now, I'm NOT JanUet, I don't pee when I'm laughing so I'm NOT PEEING IN MY KITCHEN.

I've peed everywhere...I ain't shy to admit it! :rotfl:

Otto'sMom
07-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, with no kids or husband, I've got a lot of time to dogwatch.

Frzframe
07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Well, with no kids or husband, I've got a lot of time to dogwatch.

I don't have any of those either. I'm just :duh: when it comes to more then one dog in the house. :rotfl: Now I did figure out that it was Mitzi then Dudley. But now with Ruby added I'm not sure anymore. :sosad:

Otto'sMom
07-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I got to observe them in public too. Otto would take down Buddy, hump him, and then all other dogs would respect Otto because Buddy is sooo big. Buddy would hump the other dogs (I did stop him, sometimes we couldn't because we were laughing too hard at the 3 dog humping conga line):rotfl: All the dogs at the park respected Otto and his AUTHORITAH

Tex
07-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Hum...this is interesting. Mine are easy to figure out....Julie then Jax....then John, with me as pack leader. (ok, so the last part is what I keep telling myself that I am) I dunno what's going on...what phase of the moon are we in?:scratch:

Mama S.
07-20-2006, 02:45 PM
I have no clue who is who in my herd either. It keeps changing depending upon what the subject is and if it's hot outside... I feed everyone in the exact same order - greet everyone in the exact same order - to keep me from getting even more :duh: but I have noticed with toys, treats, Mama's attention things will change around. I give up!
Mama

Patt
07-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Possibly it was small changes happending awhile ago and you didn't notice. A possible nudge to remind them that you are there leader and you're not going to tolerate this behavior. :goodluck:

Otto'sMom
07-21-2006, 08:23 AM
It's hard to nudge when you're laughing your butt off at their antics. I believe that Dolly has assumed the lower status because she wasn't in the house first. The dachshunds were. She even deferred to Grrrrrt's angry ramblings:shocked: