PDA

View Full Version : Charlie misses me :(

Helen
12-18-2005, 12:16 PM
I left home yesterday, and I'll be back in 10 days. Charlie was so bad for BF last night, and also very clingy. (We live together, so the only thing different is that I'm not there.) By bad I mean he wouldn't go to sleep at night; he just kept barking and barking. He also peed on the kitchen floor last night, right next to his pee pad. He never misses, so this is definitely weird behavior.

Is there anything BF can do to help Charlie? I feel so guilty. I already told him not to let him sleep all day, so he's going to take him on a long walk. Any other ideas? :sosad:

Lisa
12-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Ohhhh! Poor Charlie, I'm sure Mary will have lots of tips for him. I just wanted to send you a :bighug: because I am sure being away from your baby isn't easy for you either. Lots of :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: that the remaining 9 days are better.

oceangirls
12-18-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry, Helen. :( I agree Mary will probably have some good ideas. I am not an expert in this area, but two things I have read that have seemed to help my dogs if they are worried (e.g., changes in their household or - in Angel's case - fireworks...
(1) Dogs like routine, so BF should try to keep him on the same schedule as he is on when you are home, if possible
(2) (as I am always telling my in-laws) Dogs pick up on human emotions so BF should not baby Charlie or act like something is wrong since that might reinforce his fear and unhappiness. However, I think spending time with him playing and taking long walks is terrific.

Goob
12-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi Warly-
Dis Nooter. Sowwy yous mutter is gone, but Warly, aren't we going skiing suun?
-Nooter

PS: Mutter says hewwo

isobelsmom
12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi Helen,

Let me look over your post and then I will send you an email with questions for it...you will have to ask your BF for the answers to a few, but that's what I want.

Right now (or as soon as you can) get some paper and write down a Monday thru Friday---week-day schedule and then a typical week-end day schedule. This will allow me a peek inside Charlie's head and his own expectations.

Kim is right about not varying the schedule too much and if Charlie cries or makes a fuss, ignore it, because if you do not, it shows Charlie that he is getting praised for crying and the emotions underneath----fear, abandonment, separation anxiety, schedule messed up , and someone else in charge. Those are HUGE things for a dog to contend with one at a time, but all at once and you will have a barking and panicky dog.....IGNORE HIM. When he is quiet, have your BF call him over and pet him then walk away. BF HAS TO innitiate lovin's and snackies and attention's...otherwise this puts Charlie first and your BF second in your dachsie's mind....bad place to be, cuz that wee dachsie brain has a loooooonnnnnngggggg memory!

Get that to me soon and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.....hang in there!

Patt
12-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Excellent advice already given. I think Charlie has got the BF figured out and knows how to be in charge while your gone. I'm sure Mary will have more suggestions for this one. Good luck :rayz: :rayz: being sent.