PDA

View Full Version : Separation Anxiety Boot Camp & General Tips

Lisa
07-29-2006, 06:42 AM
:thankyou: to Pokey's Mom, Renee for providing this thread!

"Separation Anxiety Boot Camp & General Tips"

(Sincere thanks to DLC for keeping me sane and guiding me!)

Both of these booklets were extremely helpful:

"I'll be Home Soon by Patricia B McConnell" (Paperback - Jun 1, 2000)

"How to be the Leader of the Pack...And have Your Dog Love You For It." by Patricia B. McConnell (Paperback - Jan 1, 1996)

(I purchased them on amazon.com or bn.com for roughly $5-$10 each.)

What really helped my situation was implementing a one-week (longer if need be) SA Boot Camp:

- Pick up keys, wallet and other "leaving" triggers
- Don't leave, go about things as usual
- Repeat

- Go through leaving Triggers
- Leave for 1 minute
- Return calmly, ignoring all dogs for 5-10 minutes
- Repeat several times

- Repeat leaves: 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, very very gradually.

- I video taped the longer leaves (60 minutes) to see what was triggering odd behavior. (Noise outside, toys getting stuck, baby gated area too big, miserable in crate, etc.)

- Also, Ignoring the puppers for 5-10 minutes upon returning was not enough. I started ignoring them upon returning for 20-30 minutes and that seemed to work wonders.

- Since I tried all of the above (including booklets), my vet prescribed Clomicalm for the dogs just for a few months to supplement their training. In hindsight I really think both puppers needed the Clomicalm to get the benefits of all of the training. They were too freaked out beforehand.

Take time for yourself as well!

Pokeys Mom
07-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Almost 10 years later, the above is helping with new puppers in the house. I found two current books that are helping as well. It's great to see more resources published!

"Do Over Dogs: Give your dog a second chance for a first class life" by Pat Miller

"How to Foster Dogs: From Homeless to Homeward Bound" by Pat Miller

It's boot-camp time! :thumb up:

lotsadox
07-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks so much for the references, Rene. I may pick those up just in case I have a dog with SA problems in the future.

I had a friend that adopted a poodle mix that had SA and I had her come read this thread. She said that it really helped her in working with her dog and the dog is doing great now.

Pokeys Mom
07-09-2014, 01:06 AM
So great to hear that it helped someone!

"Do Over Dogs" covers basic behavior, fear, aggression, SA, and other communication issues found in dogs headed towards a shelter, or dogs being adopted from a shelter. I still have to plow through it all, and can't wait to share it with my vet. I'm loving all the new resources.

:)

lotsadox
07-09-2014, 08:34 AM
So great to hear that it helped someone!

"Do Over Dogs" covers basic behavior, fear, aggression, SA, and other communication issues found in dogs headed towards a shelter, or dogs being adopted from a shelter. I still have to plow through it all, and can't wait to share it with my vet. I'm loving all the new resources.

:)

That definitely sounds like something I need to read! Thanks again.

Mama S.
07-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Fabulous thread! Need to get those books! We have some mild SA issues that I am going to try those tips with!