PDA

View Full Version : Treat question...

Da Brat
07-29-2006, 07:38 PM
OMG.. I am sooo confused... :confused:
Can somebody please tell me what types of treats are good and what types are bad!?

For instance I've heard raw hide is bad, but compressed rh is ok??? What about granulated rh???

Are pig ears bad? What about hooves???

There are so many different types of treats and such! I really want to make the best choices possible and not get anything harmful, but I don't even know where to begin... :confused:

Otto'sMom
07-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Can't say from experience. Every time someone touts the killing effects of treats, mine thrive off of them. (Greenies, rawhides, flossies, chicken bones) Closer supervision=less likliness of tragedy.

I'd say go with your gut. If it's cheap, it probably isn't good. If you can't tell what the heck the ingredients are, it probably isn't good. If it's a store brand, it probably isn't good.
My experiences with pig ears and hooves just make for stinky dachshund flatulance.

lotsadox
07-29-2006, 09:12 PM
:ditto: Pigs ears and hooves are also stinky while they're eating them. Mine do fine with rawhides. I buy the ones from Omaha Vaccine in the kennel pak (yeah, I know that because I have a whole kennel) and have them delivered to me. I also feed raw beef rib bones and salmon treats I get from my vet. The salmon I mostly feed to the grandmas. They're pretty expensive, but they're soft and the old ladies can chew them.

catstamm
07-29-2006, 10:04 PM
I've seen dogs choke on rawhide when it gets all gummy. I stick with real bones....the big ham bones....They last forever, aren't messy and the girls love them.

Frzframe
07-29-2006, 10:41 PM
All mine do fine with any kind of treat. Some can eat the whole rawhide and some I take away when they get to gummy and they are having a hard time with them. I just keep a real close eye on everyone who is chewing on them. :)

oceangirls
07-29-2006, 10:52 PM
many don't like to feed rawhide because it does get gummy and sometimes dogs will swallow a huge piece... I use CET chews which are supposed to break down better; however I buy the EXTRA LARGE (for my 9.5 and 11.5lb girls) and they only get them under strict supervision - like when I am brushing them. I also like compressed rawhide for this and I find some types are very sturdy but others separate into layers too quickly. You may need to experiment here. The girls like the peanut butter flavored ones.

I don't like personally like Booda bones or Greenies or Dentabones - my dogs eat them too fast.

For daily treats, I like Old Mother Hubbard brand; the girls like the bone-shaped biscuits, the cookies, and the Meaties (Angel did not care for the P'nut Butter ones or the Bitz). I am pleased with the ingredients they use. We also like the pure dried fish skins, chicken breast strips, and the salmon treats our CIJ buddy sent! And when my mom was here we made ginger biscuits from a Three Dog Bakery recipe we have done before - those are great (even good for humans - I can say from experience!).

Angel did not tolerate Flossies very well, but we like the Bully Sticks (although they smell... you can find some that are less - um - potent than others).

Patt
07-30-2006, 02:21 AM
It's difficult to know what to "treat" with nowadays b/c almost eveything is dangerous. The same in people food, one day it's good next day it isn't. :scratch: You just have to go what you think is best. I use to give Trixie Greenies, and raw hide bones but no more!! Now I use CET Chews and only under close supervision. When training I use "Lean Treats" they are small and easy to use or I use her kibble. For Trixie's night time snack she has a restricted calorie "cookie" or Mother Hubbard cookies.

Here's the scoop on rawhides, cowhooves, nylabones and pig ears etc.

http://www.jeanesholistics.com/id66.html