PDA

View Full Version : Terrible news story from China !!

laura
08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Read this:

***WARNING GRAPIC PIC*** see post #5 for complete story w/o pic.

http://tinyurl.com/jw4ly

JanUet
08-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Um :scratch: Er......Laura? :conf4:

Your link took me to Tiny Url .com

Can you try again Please! :hearts:

Anatresia
08-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Laura- can you edit the post and add a warning? That image was too graphic for me. My heart is broken.

Looks like I'll be ordering Thai for a while.

laura
08-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Yes Let me see what I can do to edit it. Horrible and I personally will not buy ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA AS A PROTEST!!

laura
08-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Updated: 01:17 PM EDT
IM This E-mail This

China Massacres 50,000 Dogs in Anti-Rabies Campaign
Dogs Being Walked Seized From Their Owners and Beaten to Death on the Spot
By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN, AP

SHANGHAI, China (Aug. 2) - China slaughtered 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered crackdown after three people died of rabies, sparking unusually pointed criticism in state media Tuesday and an outcry from animal rights activists.

Health experts said the brutal policy pointed to deep weaknesses in the health care infrastructure in China, where only 3 percent of dogs are vaccinated against rabies and more than 2,000 people die of the disease each year.

The five-day slaughter in Mouding county in Yunnan province in southwestern China ended Sunday and spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, state media reported.

Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported. Led by the county police chief, killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then beat the animals to death, the reports said.

Owners were offered 63 cents per animal to kill their own dogs before the teams were sent in, they said.

The killings were widely discussed on the Internet, with both legal scholars and animal rights activists criticizing them as crude and cold-blooded. The World Health Organization said more emphasis needed to be placed on rabies prevention.

The official newspaper Legal Daily blasted the killings as an "extraordinarily crude, cold-blooded and lazy way for the government to deal with epidemic disease."

"Wiping out the dogs shows these government officials didn't do their jobs right in protecting people from rabies in the first place," the newspaper, published by the central government's Politics and Law Committee, said in an editorial in its online edition.

In an editorial, the official Xinhua News Agency said the killings wouldn't have been necessary if the local government had been more attentive, but called the slaughter "the only way out of a bad situation."

Most Popular Stories

· Tropical Storm Forms Near Leeward Islands
· Senator's Marine Nephew Killed in Iraq
· China Massacres 50,000 Dogs in Anti-Rabies Campaign
· Israel Sends 8,000 Troops Into Lebanon
· Women Charged With Killing Homeless for Insurance

"If they'd discovered this earlier, they could have vaccinated the dogs and ... controlled the outbreak," the editorial said.

The killings prompted calls for a boycott of Chinese products from the activist group People For the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

"We are urging everyone to actively boycott - not a word we use lightly - anything from China given the bludgeoning killing of thousands of dogs," PETA President Ingrid Newkirk said.

She said the group had canceled all orders of merchandise it sells that are made in China. Will Wright, at PETA's European office in London, said the orders were worth about $300,000.

"We believe other groups will join us in expressing outrage over the blatant cruelty to animals the world is witnessing," Wright said.

Mouding County officials defended the slaughter in a region where about 360 of the 200,000 residents suffered dog bites this year, with three people reportedly dying of rabies, including a 4-year-old girl.

"With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we decided to kill the dogs," Li Haibo, a spokesman for the county government, was quoted as saying by Xinhua.

Calls to county government offices went unanswered Tuesday. Located in mountains about 1,240 miles southwest of Shanghai, Mouding is famed for its Buddhist shrines.

Unlike in the West, where dogs have long been cherished as companions or helpmates, dogs have rarely had an easy time in China. Dog meat is eaten throughout the country, revered as a tonic in winter and a restorer of virility in men.

Following the communist seizure of power in 1949, dog ownership was condemned as a bourgeois affectation and canines were hunted as pests. Attitudes have softened in recent years, although urban Chinese are still subject to strict rules on the size of their pets and must pay steep registration fees.

About 70 percent of rural households now keep dogs, according to the Chinese Center of Disease Control and Prevention, and increased rates of dog ownership have been tied to a surge in the number of rabies cases in recent years. It said there were 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last year for which data was available.

Access to rabies treatment is also highly limited, especially in the countryside, said Dr. Francette Dusan, a World Health Organization expert.

Effective rabies control requires coordinated efforts between human health, animal health and municipal agencies and authorities, Dusan said.

"This has not been pursued adequately to date in China, with most control efforts consisting of purely reactive dog culls," she said.

08-02-06 01:45 EDT

Patt
08-02-2006, 01:42 PM
OMG disgusting!! :bleep:
How heart breaking taking the dogs from their owners on the street. Didn't they do this with all their fowl b/c of the bird flu?

Otto'sMom
08-02-2006, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't expect much more from the country that gave us the fake sleeping dogs and cats made from real dog or cat fur. That country has horrible human rights policies, let alone what they do to dogs and cats. They breed St. Bernard dogs because they're so big and produce more meat. I can't think of anything good coming out of China lately, but it seems like anything you buy from Wal Mart is always made there.:sosad:

laura
08-02-2006, 03:04 PM
I agree, and it makes me sick on a level I can hardly articulate...but I will take notice of items with a made in China sticker and think twice before buying or choose different items.

DoxieDiva
08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Someone at work just showed me this & I came to post it if someone else hadn't. This is SOOOOO sad. Did you see the part where they offered owners $.63/dog to kill their own dogs? YIKES! How horrible. Only 3% of their dogs are vaccinated again rabies! This entire story is so sad. It just breaks my heart!
:sosad:

Anatresia
08-02-2006, 03:22 PM
I will definitely be checking my labels. That is so awful. i can't even imagine...

the part about the police coming and making noise so the dogs would bark and they could locate them- oh- gives me chills. i can just imagine trying to keep Rigby quiet to save her life!

I bet Paul would come out with his guns blazing (quite literally) if anyone tried to hurt our dogs. he'd probably end up in jail, too.

Jen
08-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Evil!! I will check labels from now on. They'd have to kill me first, I can tell ya!

And sad when an inexpensive vaccine would have prevented all of this...:sosad:

areese
08-02-2006, 05:14 PM
This is a country of people who leave human baby girls at the side of the road, isn't it??

Rae
08-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Can I just say that this is terrible and horrible and the people who ordered this should be shot... but that not ALL things that come from China are bad??

Witness my friend Fur for instance...

and eggrolls. :)

Jen
08-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Very true, its the government, not the citizens that should take the blame. A government not known for good Human rights policies, so why should dogs be different...

We :love5: Fur! And I couldn't do without my once a week chinese food fix! (ok, its chinese american, but still)

Tex
08-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Thank you for sharing this story. It's a good reminder of how good we have it here in the US of A. I know that someone would have to kill me before I would ever let them near my dogs........such a sad state for their government to be in....:sosad: :please: .

Lee Anne
08-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Thank you for this post Laura. I will boycott and spread the word. I feel like throwing up...

Laurie' s Dachshunds
08-08-2006, 09:28 AM
This is :sosad: and also so stupid! The governmant there must be :duh: