View Full Version : Austin and Dolly Vet Visit

Otto'sMom
08-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Dolly~
She's on prednisone and an antibiotic. Turns out a toenail injury like that is pretty serious business. If left untreated an infection can set into the bone and worst case scenario would've been amputating her toe. Thanking DOG that I followed my gut and everyone's advice about taking her in since I was going in already. I have to find a sock to put on her footie when she goes out to potty cause the grass just irritates it. She also is wearing the cone of shame, at least that's what she looks like when she's wearing it, to keep from licking her toe. The most damage from the injury is self inflicted because it bothers them so much they have to lick lick lick and that's what causes the infections. She is one unhappy pupper with that E-collar on. He said I could walk her, but I don't think I will tempt fate.

Austin~
He's greatly improved, but his left side is weaker than his right. The vet was able to pet him down his back and he wasn't tensing up. He was being a jerk and making noises when the vet wasn't even touching him making it difficult to tell what really hurt and what was him just being a monkey. Once I held his head still, the exam went much better and the vet said that it bought us some time (for not having to take that next step to surgery) We don't have to go back until the prednisone runs out, and we've cut the dose to one half a pill a day. He's still got to be on dachshund detention in the crate, but I let him run around the yard today before we went so I could tell him how he was moving, and he's vastly improved. He even stood on his back legs to try to eat Misty the kitty. The vet noted that you couldn't hear him drag his nails either and that he had his little bunny hop back. I am officially kinda optimistic.

areese
08-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Glad they are both ok..good thing you took Dolly in, huh?
I'm so glad Austin is getting better and better :)

Patt
08-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Dolly:
I am so glad you took her in to see the doc. It's always good to have a vet check out injuries even if they appear to be minor. With those meds she'll be feeling good in no time. Be sure to keep the collar on. They always fight that silly collar but they do get use to it.
Sending quick healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Dolly.

Austin:
:woohoo: good to hear the little man is doing so much better.
More healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: being sent to him. :cheer2: :cheer2: for not dragging his feet. "Den" time is always a must but that time will pass quickly.

Tex
08-03-2006, 08:49 AM
:cheer2: :cheer2: Hooray and Yippy!!!:cheer2: :cheer2:
Glad to hear that Austin is doing better. And good momma for taking Dolly in too!! Sending fast healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for them both!!!!!

Alex's Mom
08-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Such good news on both accounts, Andrea (well, ok, not so good re: Dolly, but good that you nipped a potential big problem in the bud :rolleyes:) :hug99::hug99:

Frzframe
08-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Good you took Dolly in so that nail can heal quickly. And it's great news about Austin. Do you think it might help him to do water therapy in the tub?

More :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: on their way for both your babies.

Otto'sMom
08-04-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm not supposed to start any rehabilitative stuff yet since I'm just starting to reduce the dosage of the prednisone. Time will tell.

Bella's Mom
08-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that each day brings them closer to feeling good again.