PDA

View Full Version : Please read this.

jenfer
12-19-2005, 01:41 AM
this is what have happened to my friend...

think it could never happen to your dogs ?, think again.....
Two days ago Nina had a strange object, thingie, in her mouth. We took it away, saved it though. Didn't think much of it. In the woods, on her walks she finds little toys and stuff. Today Lucee brought one in the house. OH MY GOD, it dawned on me that the neighbor was putting out Rat poison. I ran over there and looked and they were, all over his carport.

We called the vet, she said bring them in, in a hurry.

We have never seen any rat poison like this in our life. The squirrels are carrying it all over the neighborhood. The squirrels will die from this too, as well as cats and birds.

They were all treated with charcoal and now are on vitamin K1 for 4 weeks. They did blood ACT clotting time on Lucee and Nina (they had the poison in their mouth) and have to get another kit to do Ashlee on Monday. They only had 2 kits. I don't know what Lucee's time was, but Nina's was 1 minute 30 sec. And it shouldn't really be over 60 sec. The longer the clotting time the more apt they are to be bleeding inside. Walks only on leash, no rough play. They can't get brusied. So we have to keep an eye on them very closely. They worry if it doesn't clot till 3 minutes, then your in big trouble in a hurry.

We 'may' have caught this early enough to treat. We can only hope.

But the reason I am making this post is for people to be aware of what your neighbors do. We have a fenced yard and never let our dogs out unattened. We even go out with them when the go potty. We feel we are VERY good dog parents, and then this happens to our babies. We are sick. I am so worried.

Here is a picture of the rat stuff. They are big, like 2 inches long and an inch wide, green. We had no idea what it was till the 2nd one was found by Lucee, and I went to the next door neighbors yard.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3420/conblx2rat1ht.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

These are called "TOMCAT all weather bait and chunx" They are peanut flavored. The maker is Motomco. http://www.motoco.com

It's so scary. Her dog is ok for now and obviously she is worry sick. Please keep her in your thought.

Pokeys Mom
12-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Yikes! Thanks Jen. The picture was useful. It's just wrong that people would do such a thing, but we're always cautious. I am glad that everyone is OK. :rayz:

Patt
12-19-2005, 02:01 AM
OMG that is so scary. If it's all over the place all little critters will be dying. Perhaps they should send their vet bill to the person who put the poison out.

Sending mega :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: and :pray: :pray: to Lucee & Nina I hope they will be okay.

The link you posted has expired, here's a couple more. :thanx: for posting everyone should be aware. The description is enough to scare you it's pretty potent poison and PB flavor will make it very enticing.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:lb5S_zZ86KQJ:www.eddenet.pmra-arla.gc.ca/4.0/4.1.2.asp%3Fregn%3D22462.00+TOMCAT+bait+and+chunx+ rat+poison&hl=en

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=G79991&UID=200512182350212816506998

jenfer
12-19-2005, 02:06 AM
According to my friend the neighbor just wasn't thoughtful enough...s/he didn't think about pets/animals...possibly just want to kill the rats.

Here is what she wrote to me...
Lucee threw up tonight, that scared me. But they gave her too much canned food with the charcoal and laying by the fireplace made her hot. I hope thats all it is. They seem just the same.

:rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

Tanya
12-19-2005, 02:24 AM
OMG...that is terrible! :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for your friend's babies!

Please keep us updated on their health.

Kerie
12-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks. Great idea to post a picture!

Patt
12-19-2005, 03:24 AM
Here is what she wrote to me...
Lucee threw up tonight, that scared me. But they gave her too much canned food with the charcoal and laying by the fireplace made her hot. I hope thats all it is. They seem just the same. :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: Fingers and paws crossed that everything will be fine. :pray:

Yolanda
12-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Oh goodness, I do hope the puppers will bne ok. Thanks Jennifer for the picture. I do know if I would have realized what it was either.

oceangirls
12-19-2005, 06:58 AM
thanks for the warning, Jen. Sending rayz to your friend and her dogs:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: .

I couldn't get to the site but it is most likely a coumarin derivative if they checked clotting times, and vitamin K can reverse this very quickly. If there are no signs of bleeding (including black, tarry stools or blood or coffee-ground-like material in the vomit), the dog will probably not have a problem (although I don't know if the product contained other ingredients that might have caused vomiting).

JanUet
12-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks so much for posting the information and the Picture was an excellent idea!

We never do know what are neighbours are up to. I just takes one little mishap. I'm sure she/he wasn't thinking of dogs, cats or other wild life animals at the time the Rat bait was left out.

Has he/she cleaned it up yet or is it still out there?

Please keep us posted about all the pupperz health. I for one, Would certainly send my vet bill to the neighbour!!!!:mad:

Anatresia
12-19-2005, 08:34 AM
My evil ex-boyfriend lived next door to a little six year old devil who fed ex-bf's dogs rat poison on purpose. two of the three dogs died. EX-bf was distraught, to say the least. He did bring in the SPCA to take away the neighbor's dog, who was completely underfed and in danger of being poisoned.

It was a very messy situation and ex-bf ended up moving!

lotsadox
12-19-2005, 10:19 AM
That is scary! Thanks for posting the picture. At least we'll know what to look for. Putting out poison without telling your neighbors is so inconsiderate. Anyone could get it, dogs, cats, children. Some people should be made to live in a cave!

Jen
12-19-2005, 02:07 PM
A story to learn from and the pic was very helpful. Lots of rat poison used in NYC so I'm always worried. When we had Tasha at the E-Vet for her back last Jan 1 there was a police dog there who had gotten into rat poison in the subway. He was ok, the cops got him in quick, but rat poison scares me!

Michelle
12-19-2005, 02:27 PM
OMG!!! That is so scary, and by looking at the pic I would have NEVER guessed that was Rat Poison,, :shocked: :shocked:

LUVMYGUNNER
12-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks for posting picture--that is scarry.

jenfer
12-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Why can't they make the wording RAT POISON on the poison? Seriously, the rats can't read it. At least the human can watch out for it. grr...