PDA

View Full Version : Why dogs shouldn't guard teddy bears

Linus
08-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Teddy Bear (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060803/od_afp/afplifestylebritain_060803170941)

In case that link doesn't work:

LONDON (AFP) - Elvis Presley's cherished teddy bear Mabel was reportedly all shook up after being mauled by an apparently jealous guard dog hired to protect her at a British museum.

The rare toy, made in 1909 by German manufacturer Steiff and valued at 40,000 pounds (75,000 dollars, 59,000 euros), was to have formed the centrepiece of a valuable collection on display at Wookey Hole Caves, in Somerset, southwest England.

But for some reason Barney, the Dobermann pinscher charged with protecting the precious cuddly toy and the other fluffy exhibits, took against them, going on the rampage in a frenzied after-hours attack.

Mabel was disembowled of her soft stuffing and had her head severed. The damage is believed to be irreperable.

"Barney has been a model guard dog for more than six years. I still can't believe what happened," security guard Greg West was quoted as saying after the attack on Tuesday night.

"Either there was a rogue scent of some kind on Mabel, which switched on Barney's deepest instincts, or it could have been jealousy. I was just stroking Mabel and saying what a nice bear she was."

Mabel was bought by local aristocrat Sir Benjamin Slade at an auction in Memphis, Tennessee, and was on a work surface while a glass case was being built for her.

Wookey Hall general manager Daniel Medley was quoted as saying he had spoken to Sir Benjamin.

"He is not very pleased at all," he added.

Patt
08-04-2006, 06:48 PM
I saw a similar article with the pic of the dog. I can't imagine anyone having a dog guard Teddy Bears and such. :faint: The dog is retired now, poor baby.

Thanks for posting.

jenfer
08-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Amusing article. Why would you hire a dog to guard a toy? Like I would never ask Gigi to guard my hamburger. :rotfl:

Tex
08-04-2006, 08:02 PM
A co-worker brought this to me this morning!!! Our article had a pic of the dog too, and he had that "oopppps, I done something wrong" look!!!

lotsadox
08-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Sounds like someone had a :duh: moment there. Dog guarding a STUFFED toy? :scratch:

mcvwdox
08-04-2006, 09:07 PM
I thought this story was HYSTERICAL! If you saw the news clip on ABCNews and the photos of the "dissheveled room" and then the adorable photo of the dog surrounded by toys..... PRICELESS!