PDA

View Full Version : WWCMD? (What Would Cesar Milan Do?)

Otto'sMom
08-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I've been totally ODing on the Dog Whisperer and trying to figure out my pack. I know I'm not pack leader, it's obvious in their behavior but since the behavior isn't BAD, I really don't make an issue out of it. It's strange though...they follow my lead on some things but not on others. Otto and Mimi walk behind me on the retractable leash, but Buddy and Dolly go up front. Austin doesn't see me as a leader, he's constantly pushing his 'rules boundaries and limitations', but he'll still come in with the rest of the herd when I call for them. I can't get Dolly to stop barking when it's puppy supper time, and Austin will try to get his nose into EVERYBODY'S bowl. It's kinda funny, the dog that isn't mine is the one that respects me as pack leader. I've been practicing a few things, like making sure I'm the first one in and out of the door and with 3 anxious dogs (Mimi is always calm and submissive) it's not easy. I also am using my "mom" voice on them, projecting that strong image because I AM in charge.
I just wonder what would Cesar think of my pack?:scratch:

Frzframe
08-08-2006, 03:36 PM
My dad is just like you watching C.M. all day long (he's only home on weekends). :rotfl:

No advise cause my gang is just like yours. :sosad:

Anatresia
08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
I also don't understand the complexities of pack order. They listen when I talk sternly to them, so I think they respect me as leader. If I say, "Stop," they will stop in their tracks and look at me.

But we have our issues. Butters tries to manipulate me with his whiny and super annoying stares/cries. Rigby is just a mental mess. She's scared so she's nasty, she's loveable but she's evil, she's submissive, but she can be aggressive toward other dogs. She obviously doesn't know the pack order and it's making her CRAZY.

I have to get that book one of these days...

Courtney
08-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Pack order is fluid, so that probably explains a lot of it. I have a devil of a time with my dogs as well, but I don't obsess over it.

and don't waste your money on the book Tracy!! It doesn't have any training advice in it that's not on the show!

JanUet
08-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Totally agreed there Courtney! If I didn't borrow the book to read I would have happily used it as a pee pee pad.

I read it at bed time...I was out like a light in 5 minutes! :rotfl:

Lee Anne
08-08-2006, 05:50 PM
I would also be interested to see what he would have to say to me about my crazy crew. I feel like I have to fight to stay at the top of this pack and I think they are laughing at me. :sosad:

Tanya
08-08-2006, 05:55 PM
and don't waste your money on the book Tracy!! It doesn't have any training advice in it that's not on the show!
Tracy- instead of the book I recommend this dvd:

People Training For Dogs (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RKBGC/sr=8-4/qid=1155074125/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-5012405-4061515?ie=UTF8)

oceangirls
08-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Pack order is fluid, so that probably explains a lot of it. I have a devil of a time with my dogs as well, but I don't obsess over it.

Oh, cr--, Courtney! - I just bought it, and convinced my mom to buy it too. Oops!! :faint: Well, she doesn't get the channel it's on, so she can't see the show very often... so it's probably worth it for her.

My pups are like yours Andrea... some behaviors that tell me they aren't sure who is in charge, but no big problems. I am not going to follow his method exactly but I do think he does a wonderful job so I am going to incorporate some things.

Tex
08-08-2006, 09:49 PM
I really enjoyed his book, but I hadn't seen many episodes of his show before I read it. The book helped me to understand not only his "pack" philosophy, but how he came to know the things he knows about dogs and the stucture of the pack. I know that my 2 are doing much better now that I make it a point to do things like "be the first one in/out the door". Both Julie and Jax will both walk ahead of me on their retractable leashes....but every once in a while, I will reign them in, and then I will stop or change directions without warning. As long as they stop/change directions with me, I know were doing good.

P.S.-has anyone else seen the Cesar episode where he works with the two adorable dachshunds!!!!???!!!! I think their names were Cinnimon and ....something :scratch:

Anatresia
08-08-2006, 09:51 PM
What channel and what time is the show on?

Tex
08-08-2006, 09:54 PM
What channel and what time is the show on?
Cesar comes on the National Geographic channel....as far as what day/time, I'm not really sure. Last week was "Dog Whisperer week".....I'm pretty sure it comes on at 7 or 8 pm, but I don't know what days.....sorry I'm not really that helpful here am I?:scratch:

Anatresia
08-08-2006, 09:56 PM
I'll look it up on my cable guide when Poker is over.:rolleyes:

oceangirls
08-08-2006, 10:00 PM
P.S.-has anyone else seen the Cesar episode where he works with the two adorable dachshunds!!!!???!!!! I think their names were Cinnimon and ....something :scratch:

they were doing some kind of Dog Whisperer marathon on Sunday - I saw that episode... think they were named Cinnamon and Cocoa (?) They were awfully cute - sweet faces (although admittedly Cinnamon had a few issues :evilgrin: ).

Patt
08-08-2006, 10:01 PM
I really enjoyed his book, but I hadn't seen many episodes of his show before I read it. The book helped me to understand not only his "pack" philosophy, but how he came to know the things he knows about dogs and the stucture of the pack. I know that my 2 are doing much better now that I make it a point to do things like "be the first one in/out the door". Both Julie and Jax will both walk ahead of me on their retractable leashes....but every once in a while, I will reign them in, and then I will stop or change directions without warning. As long as they stop/change directions with me, I know were doing good.

Trixie is doing very well using Cesar's methods. I believe the names of the Doxies were Cinnamon & Chocolate, they were cute. :hearts:

I have Cesar's book and all of his DVD's. In fact I'm going to his seminar Aug. 26th. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Otto'sMom
08-08-2006, 10:06 PM
In fact I'm going to his seminar Aug. 26th. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
Green with envy here~ I've been watching it so much that I can hear his sayings in my head, but I can't imitate his voice. I skipped it tonight to post photos of the pack.

Patt
08-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Green with envy here~ I've been watching it so much that I can hear his sayings in my head, but I can't imitate his voice. I skipped it tonight to post photos of the pack.My DH does a good imitation. :rotfl:

Anatresia
08-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Mondays at 9pm, Eastern. YAY! I will watch Monday!

Tanya
08-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Yay Patt! You'll love it! He is such a great speaker...and so funny too! I wasn't expecting to laugh so much at a "dog seminar!"

Patt
08-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Yay Patt! You'll love it! He is such a great speaker...and so funny too! I wasn't expecting to laugh so much at a "dog seminar!"Believe me I can't wait. The seminar was sold out but due to a change in dates I was able to get tickets.
I was so happy!! :banana: :hula1: :banana:

Tanya
08-08-2006, 10:51 PM
The seminar was sold out but due to a change in dates I was able to get tickets.
Poor b@stards that couldn't make it on the new date! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Their loss...your gain! :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2:

Tex
08-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Oh Patt....I am SO jealous!!!!! I hope you have a great time at Cesar's seminar....:banana: :banana: :banana:

phoria2
08-09-2006, 08:27 AM

WOW! That's GREAT! :banana: :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2:
You'll have to tell all the details afterwards!

Bella's Mom
08-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Funny you wrote this thread. I watched the Dog Whisperer marathon all weekend and was trying to figure out things we were doing wrong and trying out some new stuff. Bella was looking at me like "Whatever Mom, can we play chicken now?" :rotfl:

Linus
08-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Oh Patt....I am SO jealous!!!!! I hope you have a great time at Cesar's seminar....:banana: :banana: :banana:

Hey Tex, he's doing a seminar in Austin that wasn't sold out yet a week ago. Check out his website.