PDA

View Full Version : She just won't down!!

Almost Doxie
08-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I have signed Millie up for CGC training and testing. When we got her a year ago, she didn't seem to have had any training. She will make a wonderful therapy dog if we can pass the two tests. Her sits are good, her stays are good, but she will not lay down on command. Every time I have to guide her down. She just won't do it on her own. We have been working on it every night for two weeks and the stubborn little dog will not down!! She is 9-10 years old. Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

Chris
08-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Alex "rolls over" but i am not getting acrossed the "down" very well.

Granted, i have kinda not pushed because Al has the shortest legs ever and..um...there really is not much of a difference altitude wise between "sit" and "down". Once my dad was over and he said "Oh...he IS laying down! I thought he was sitting."

Ollie on the other hand i would love for him to do "down"

ebmw1975
08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
We just finished obedience training and both Jake and Oscar WONT down either no matter what, our trainer said of all the dogs she has worked w/ the doxies seem to not do this the most of all the breeds. Good Luck, we gave up on it we were happy w/ the sit, stay, place,come and quiet commands.

Tanya
08-09-2006, 10:47 PM
I went through "Down" hell! Peaches would do everything but down. I finally figured out that the issue wasn't so much down as it was an alpha issue. Once we made some progress with who was in charge of who, down came pretty easy! Good luck and don't give up! :cheer2:

jenfer
08-09-2006, 11:08 PM
For some reason "down" is hard for them to do. Try this...
1. Have the pup sit.
2. Put hand with treats in between front paws

Hopefully that will work?? Gigi now do a pretty good down ON CARPET. But it did take some time for her to get it.

Patt
08-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Lots of good suggestions, I hope they help. :crossfin: Time, patience and :goodluck:
Keep us updated on Millie's progress.

Tex
08-10-2006, 07:51 AM
No other suggestions that haven't been said already. Neither Julie nor Jax will "down", but both will roll over to "show me your belly"!!!!! But they will only sit or roll over on carpet!!! No cold floor for us! Good luck!!!:banana:

phoria2
08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
For some reason "down" is hard for them to do. Try this...
1. Have the pup sit.
2. Put hand with treats in between front paws

I had trouble with this too. And even now mine will only do it on carpet!
Also,
Once you have the treat down by the front feet and their attention is on the treat try slowly bringing it farther away from them but still low on the floor so they have stretch down and out to get it. It'll put them closer to the "down" postion that they should naturally want to lay down..........
Good luck!! :cheer2: :pray: :cheer2:

Almost Doxie
08-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. So the bottom line is doxies don't lay down. I personally don't care if she ever lays down again but we won't pass the test if she doesn't. Hopefully the evaluator won't notice she is standing...she is low to the ground...what difference could it make??

AgileOllie
08-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Here is my suggestion:

You have to sometimes treat dachshunds like you treat men- you have to make them think it was THEIR idea.

Put her on a lead and just walk around with her and do sit, stay, etc commands. Put her in a sit and just wait. She's going to get bored and either get up (put her back down) or she's going to lie down. As sooooonnn As she lies down, say DOWN!!! CLICK, TREAT and PRAISE like there's no tomorrow. You want to really feel like and idiot with all the fussin' you're doing.

You can do the same thing at home. When she walks into the living room and looks like she's going to lie down, do the same thing. She begins to associate the word with the event, and the event with the hoopla.

I had a dog that worked with very well.

I have signed Millie up for CGC training and testing. When we got her a year ago, she didn't seem to have had any training. She will make a wonderful therapy dog if we can pass the two tests. Her sits are good, her stays are good, but she will not lay down on command. Every time I have to guide her down. She just won't do it on her own. We have been working on it every night for two weeks and the stubborn little dog will not down!! She is 9-10 years old. Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

Tex
08-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Great idea Tonya!!! I may have to try that with my 2 just to see if I can get them to do it!

badgerdogbren
08-13-2006, 01:05 PM
I am starting mine out too and they also do not think they should get any lower. If I get them to lay down they want to roll over for belly rubs. That's a good citizen right? LOL :rotfl:

areese
08-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. So the bottom line is doxies don't lay down. I personally don't care if she ever lays down again but we won't pass the test if she doesn't. Hopefully the evaluator won't notice she is standing...she is low to the ground...what difference could it make??
I surely wouldn't say doxies don't lay down! Mine have a wonderful very fast down-they have to have it for the table in agility and they learned it very quickly. But I use a clicker and once they get the hang of the clicker...it seems you can teach almost anything SO fast! I LOVE the clicker and so do the Weens-if they hear it they come RUNNING!
I firmly believe you can teach dachshunds do to anything any other breed can do...if it's physically possible for them that is :duh: