PDA

View Full Version : A Reluctant Eater

Otto'sMom
08-10-2006, 12:41 PM
I have a tough time getting Mimi to eat her meals. Since she doesn't hoover it down like the rest of the anipals, I'm forced to sit with her and encourage her to eat. I'm mixing moist Beneful (have you seen this stuff? It totally looks and smells like a really good people stew. Whole green beans, carrot slivers and chunks of meat) with a 1/4 cup of Neutro Max small bites. Even then she's like 'meh' and turns her nose up at it. She'll walk away, and I put it in front of her again. She'll take a tentative bite, sniff the rug, and look pleadingly at me. I try to get her to finish the whole thing, with Dolly, Grrrrt and Otto hovering inches away, waiting for the first sign that I'll give it to them. Some days I can get her to do it, other days, she's just not interested.
If I put Kong Liver paste on it, she'll eat it a little better, but I ran out and haven't gotten back up to Gulfport to buy more. I'm thinking that if I increase her exercise, she'll be more hungry and I'm trying to limit her access to the cat food. I haven't caught her in the cat room for several days.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can get her more interested in eating? I'm sure the whole "me sitting there while she eats" is some flagrant pack leader violation, but if I turn my back, vultures suck up her meal faster than you can blink. I didn't give in and give her any treats this morning after she didn't want to eat her dog food, and she's always interested in what I'm eating. I don't share....cause dangit, I'm hungry!

Lee Anne
08-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Okay. Here is MY 2 cents.

Greyson never used to eat either and here's what I did (with the help of my vet.)

1. I got him on a low residue diet (IVD duck and potato - canned.) He eats like a MAD MAN now whereas before, he would sniff and run off. He has a VERY sensitive tummy.

2. I put him in a seperate room to eat. He can't take the pressure of being around the rest of the pack to eat and will let them take his food. Now, I just feed him first in the office and close the door. Then I set everyone else's food down. When they're done, I pick up all the bowls, wait about 60 seconds, and then go see if he's done. He almost always is.

HTH!
Lee Anne

jenfer
08-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Can you pretend her food is yours and then you share with her? :rotfl: Seriously.

Gigi used to be a bit picky, but not any more.

Otto'sMom
08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I tried heating it up in the microwave, like I do my own food, to fool her and it didn't work. (Made sure it wasn't too hot)

Jen
08-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Put it down 15 min, then take it away if she doesn't eat?

Try another food? Not a problem I have much experience with....

Otto'sMom
08-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I know what you mean. My hounds eat it so fast and then snoop for more around the bowls like I've NEVER EVER fed them.
Mimi is just a little prissy thing.

Patt
08-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Was she the 'only' dog before? Possibly they just left the food out all day so she can graze at her leisure. This would make her uncomfortable around the other dogs at feeding time. Please feed her in another room with the door closed for privacy.
Maybe eventually she can eat with the rest of 'em. :crossfin:
p.s. Totally agree with a time limit.

phoria2
08-10-2006, 01:51 PM
I have the same problem with Nathan. He'll eat 1/4 of his food and just walk away. I have noticed that exercise definitely helps. I've put up his food when he walks off (so Abby doesn't scarf it) but after a few zoomies with his sister later I put it down again and he eats right up!:cheer2: :cheer2: .
Of couse Abby want to eat again too but she just gets a small treat while he eats the rest of his dinner.

So maybe try smaller more frequent meals and/or lots of running around first?

Bella's Mom
08-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Bella tends to try and be picky about her food but I found that if she has had exercise and playtime that she'll eat her food better. Good luck!

Frzframe
08-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Boomer was this way so I always made sure he was in his kennel to eat and same goes for Ruby Roo. They both are slow eaters and I have / had to remind them to eat while mine have theirs gone in a matter of seconds. I think I'd try feeding in her own space and see if that helps.

Tex
08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Whew, glad to know I'm not the only one with a reluctant eater!! Jax is SO SLOW!!!! Julie is a wolfer, so no problem there. But, dang it, Jax just won't eat sometimtes. I think it's because his teeth are bothering him (he is in desparate need of a dental. Have one scheduled for Sept. 5). But now, I dunno. I put his food down and he'll go over to the bowl and paw at it like "hey ma, there's nothin' in here" when, of course, there is!!! I leave it down for about 5 min. and if he doesn't eat any, I pick it up for later. Great suggestions ya'll. I gotta try some of these......

P.S.-tried feeding him in his crate, he still doesn't eat and Julie just goes nuts trying to get to it......:duh:

Otto'sMom
08-10-2006, 09:23 PM
P.S.-tried feeding him in his crate, he still doesn't eat and Julie just goes nuts trying to get to it......:duh:

I'm doing that right now and it's not working. I'm feeling guilty for putting her in there and I think rest of the hounds are just staring at her. I just got up and checked, and caused a hound explosion. She does have an audience.:rolleyes:

JanUet
08-10-2006, 09:46 PM
I would feed her in the bathroom then. She will not see the audience and therefore might eat her food.

Try it and if it works....GREAT!