View Full Version : Another Vaccination Question

phoria2
08-10-2006, 01:24 PM
My two will be due for their 1 yr annual in September. They were vaccinated for a number of things (including lepo) in one shot and other than a little bump on the butt (lasted about twelve hours) they had no problems. Here's my question: If they did not have an issue last year, does that mean they shouldn't this year?:scratch: :please: :scratch:

jenfer
08-10-2006, 01:33 PM
It's not guarantee. My mom's shih tzu... she never had any issue, yesterday I got a call from my mom... Chilli had 3 shots in the morning/afternoon and in the evening they discovered she was itchy and her eyes were swollen like a wallnut. :sosad: They took her to the vet and they gave her some antihistamine. She is ok now. Mine also have had allergic reaction a few times, the staff at the vet knew about her history, so they always give her antihistamine before hand and watch her after the shots. I am not trying to scare you, but just to share my experience with you. :)

areese
08-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Laika had two yearly boosters before she had a reaction..well I should say she had her final shots, then one booster in a year, no problems. Then when she was 3 she had the reaction with her yearly booster.

catstamm
08-10-2006, 03:07 PM
I would have them do a titer test instead.....how old are your pups? The booster that has everything is called a DHLPP.....you can also get it w/o the "L" .....many doxies have very bad reactions.
Someone mentioned in the other post about vaccinations, that their Vet feels yearly shots are necessary. My opinion on that is .....that's how they get you in the office to spend $$$$$$$$$$
The same reason vets promote "Science Diet" as a GOOD food ....they get $$$$$$$ if they sell it.
I would suggest a Titers test and see what your vets reaction is .....Good luck :hearts:

Goob
08-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Snooter is almost three and as a pup she did fine with her shots. At 1 year she had a reaction. At two year she was fine. The body is a strange thing. I would go with Cat's suggestions and have everything double checked.

phoria2
08-10-2006, 04:04 PM
I would have them do a titer test instead.....how old are your pups? The booster that has everything is called a DHLPP.....you can also get it w/o the "L" .....many doxies have very bad reactions.
I would suggest a Titers test and see what your vets reaction is .....Good luck :hearts:

Thanks!:hug99: :hug99:
They just turned 1yr, the DHLPP was what they had last year and are due a in September for the annual check-up. I'll discuss titering with my vet.

Bella's Mom
08-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I've been told that even if there were no previous reactions they could still have a reaction. After Bella's reaction last year, I am very wary. I'm definitely not allowing the lepto shot but will vaccinate for parvo, distemper and rabies.

lotsadox
08-10-2006, 05:31 PM
I'd definitely have them titered and wouldn't do lepto unless absolutely necessary (which isn't the same thing as the vet saying they need it). JMHO

Patt
08-10-2006, 07:24 PM
It's possible they will never have a reaction. Unfortunately there are no guarantees with any vaccine. My vet does not give the vaccine she advised it is dangerous for small dogs.

ITA with doing titers. I suggest you do research on Goggle and see if Lepto is a problem in your area then discuss it with your vet.
FYI Lepto vaccines are only good for 6 months.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canineleptospirosis.html
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/lepto.html