PDA

View Full Version : Puppyhood

Peteys Mom
08-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Petey is now 8 months old; when can I switch him from puppy food to adult?

He is eating Solid Gold puppy kibble right now, and I have a bag of Nutro Ultra puppy kibble to wean him onto next. The Solid Gold is way too hard to find out here in the boonies, and Petsmart carries the Nutro, so I thought I'd try a switch. He will eat ANYTHING, so the main food issue is his sensitive skin. He gets itchy and flaky on some foods, so that's what I have to watch for.

He is right at 10 lbs now, and I think he's probably finished growing except maybe for muscling up some more. He's getting those massive (compared to the rest of his little weenie body) dachsie shoulders and chest; last night he was strutting about the living room with half a bully stick hanging out of his mouth looking like Winston Churchill chewing on a stogie :duh:

Courtney
08-11-2006, 11:20 AM
At 8 months you can go ahead and start switching him to adult food if you want! shouldn't be a problem.

Bella's Mom
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
We weaned Bella after her 1st birthday but the vet had told us anywhere between 8 - 12 months.

Patt
08-11-2006, 02:34 PM
ITA :) Be sure to switch the foods gradually.

oceangirls
08-11-2006, 02:58 PM
8-9 months is about when we switched! Like Patt said, just do it gradually... for example 1/4 new food and 3/4 old for a few days, if tolerated try half and half... and so on :)

He might pick the old stuff out and just eat the new :lol: Sometimes they do that.

JanUet
08-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Yup! I agree! We were told 8 - 12 months by our Vet.

Make the switch gradually.

I know what you mean about the massive chest. Casey has the biggest I have ever seen! He is all Chest!
I think the girls like it too! :rotfl: :hearts1:

:welcome2: to Adulthood Petey! :blowkiss: :hearts:

catstamm
08-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Hummmm.... I've always been told to switch at 6 mths :scratch: It's better for their backs if their bones don't grow to fast.....
Lee Anne weren't you told the same?
I know Cami's Neurologist wanted her OFF puppy food at 6 mths...I have Cami on Solid Gold "Barking at the moon...she loves it!
I LOVE Big Chests Jen's is really big too..... Poor Carlee doesn't have a doxie chest at all