View Full Version : Bella's 11lbs!

Bella's Mom
08-13-2006, 02:05 PM
We took Bella to the vet on Saturday for her annual check up and rabies vaccine. She will get the distemper in a month but no lepto. Well her weight is 11lbs. and the vet said she is too heavy. I felt like I failed as a mom! :ashamed: She weighed 9lbs in January. I can still see her ribs but you can pinch a little on the side which I guess is why they said she is too heavy. DH was heartbroken. He is more lax with her food and treats. He admitted he hasn't been measuring out her food but insists he only fills the bottom of the bowl (I showed him how much "only the bottom of the bowl" is) and he is bummed. I can't act like I'm perfect because I too give in! We have to be stronger. It's all about her health and keeping that back in good shape! Soooo...of course we are cutting back on the food and treats will be her carrot and green beans. I'm going to try to fit in a walk in the AM if I can in addition to her evening walk. We play frisbee every night for 1/2 hour and paly "chicken" too in addition to her walk so it has to be her food intake. Man I feel bad.... The vet said ideally she should be 9 but 10 would be a big difference on her petite frame. So it looks like mommy and Bella are now on the Weight Watchers plan!

Any other suggestions to help get of the pesky pounds is greatly appreciated.

Goob
08-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Me thinks the scale is broken at your vet. Surely Little Bella Junior doesn't weight more than Big Bella! :scale:

jenfer
08-13-2006, 02:24 PM
She doesn't look fat to me. Gigi was never fat, but was told she is borderline of being fat, now she is too skinny. Just cut out her treats and table scrap (if you do), that helps a lot... at least for me.

Tex
08-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Whatever her weight, Bella is absolutely beautiful!!!! I have the same problem with Julie. I cut out ALL people food and very rarely give her treats (she gets them at our monthly meetup, but that's about it). She lost a little weight, but not what I wanted. I know we need to walk more, it just so hard when it's 103 everyday!!!!!!!!

Anatresia
08-13-2006, 03:45 PM
My name is Tracy and I also have fat dogs...

At 18, Butters is still tipping the scales and little sis is catching up at a whopping 15 pounds!!!

It's not me- it's Paul and his family!!! Sigh. I don't know what to do. I've been cutting their food down and walking them, which is how Butters lost a few pounds, but it's still not enough...

Patt
08-13-2006, 11:40 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I like my Doxie babies on the thin side. Much better for their health and they will live longer. :hearts:

Good suggestions given. I agree stop all the treats and no people food. Be sure to measure her food exactly. Also agree if you can get another walk in the morning that would be excellent. If you do want to give her a treat, deduct it from her daily ration. :goodluck:

Wiener Mom
08-14-2006, 07:52 AM
My vet says you should be able to feel ribs, but not see them. I like to see a little weight on my dachshunds. Not overweight but a healthy weight they (and I) can maintain. If my vet said my dog was 11 lbs and should weigh 9 - I would compromise and shoot for a managaeable 10 lbs.

catstamm
08-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Just measure her food ...give green beans as a snack and I'm sure she will be fine.
I must give credit to your vet.....I have seen so many dogs we have adopted out get "FAT" .... when I say something to the parents, thier answer is , "well I spoil them" :scratch: And the vet didn't say anything about them being overwieght?...... Well the vet should be concerned because it is unhealthy for a doxie to be overweight!
Bella is beautiful and I'm glad your vet has you on the right track.....
What type of food do you have her on now?
Good luck...you'll both do great !!

Bella's Mom
08-14-2006, 02:24 PM
What type of food do you have her on now?
Good luck...you'll both do great !!
We have her on Eagle Pack. Her treats are pieces of carrots and green beans. DH has made sure he measures out her food precisely (she gets a little less than a 1/4 cup 2x's/day to allow the carrot and green beans). He wants to give her a bite of sausage yesterday but managed to stay strong. He's such a sweetheart but a bit of a pushover (trust me I take full advantage).:rotfl: Just kidding. I think she'll be just fine. The vet too wants her on the skinny side but I would be happy with 10lbs. and muscular. She truly doesn't look overweight but I do have to put a little pressure down in order to feel her ribs which isn't good. We are starting a morning walk whenever we can fit it in and play with her and get her to run as much as possible. Maybe mommy will get some weight off too! :D

Bella's Mom
08-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Me thinks the scale is broken at your vet. Surely Little Bella Junior doesn't weight more than Big Bella! :scale:
I'm still having a hard time believing she's 11lbs. Another dachsie came in right behind her and he weighed 11.7lbs. and looked way bigger than she did. :confused: The only problem....it was the same scale! I must face reality that we indulged her one to many times....bad mommy and daddy! I have to get the weight off her. I want many, many happy healthy years with our baby girl.

catstamm
08-14-2006, 03:19 PM
We have her on Eagle Pack. Her treats are pieces of carrots and green beans. DH has made sure he measures out her food precisely (she gets a little less than a 1/4 cup 2x's/day to allow the carrot and green beans). He wants to give her a bite of sausage yesterday but managed to stay strong. He's such a sweetheart but a bit of a pushover (trust me I take full advantage).:rotfl: Just kidding. I think she'll be just fine. The vet too wants her on the skinny side but I would be happy with 10lbs. and muscular. She truly doesn't look overweight but I do have to put a little pressure down in order to feel her ribs which isn't good. We are starting a morning walk whenever we can fit it in and play with her and get her to run as much as possible. Maybe mommy will get some weight off too! :D

That's perfect...you're doing great....I have a big boned girl too....Jen, although she has lost 5 and a half lbs since I got her, she still needs to loose 1 or 2 more and it's next to impossible....Bella is a beauty though...love her pics :hearts:

Lee Anne
08-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Aw Kelli! Don't be too hard on yourself! When I met Cat, she claimed I was STARVING Ruckus, so who's a bad mom?!? :cheer2: ( He WAS too thin - I admit it now.)

I found that if I walk my gang, at least 5 times a week for 30 - 45 minutes at a brisk pace, their weight stays perfect and I benefit too! Thanks for being SUCH a good mommy! :hearts: :hug99:

Bella's Mom
08-15-2006, 02:19 PM
I found that if I walk my gang, at least 5 times a week for 30 - 45 minutes at a brisk pace, their weight stays perfect and I benefit too! Thanks for being SUCH a good mommy! :hearts: :hug99:
I think the extra walk will be a win win situation for both Bella & I. She loves her walkies and I love just being with her. Now if I could only get DH away from that blasted Warcraft or whatever game it is to come join us!! :rotfl: