View Full Version : Mimi To The Vet ~Bad news

Otto'sMom
08-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Mimi has been having runny poos since Monday, and yesterday they turned bloody. Made an appointment ASAP which was at 2 pm today. Had them test her blood and give her a workup.
Didn't find a specific cause for the Gastrointestinal Irritation, but got meds for it and a shot to soothe her tummy.

The bad news is she tested positive for heartworm. Her Mom had never tested her and never had her on preventative. Now I have to email her Mom tomorrow at work and let her know that she's in for some $$$ treatment while she's deployed. My pocketbook really can't take cost of the treatment on my own. I'm praying a credit card application I sent in gets approved. Good thing I'm dieting because I won't have any money for food for a while. I could just cry.

I'll have to wait to get her treated, let the tummy thing settle first. I'm just devistated that she has heartworms.

lotsadox
08-16-2006, 04:34 PM
That is so sad, when it's so easily preventable. Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mimi and a :bighug: for you!

K2
08-16-2006, 04:36 PM
That's so sad. Sending Mimi some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: poor girl.

Lee Anne
08-16-2006, 04:37 PM
:shocked: Why did you even think to get her checked?! You're an amazing caregiver! Bless you for watching out for this special girl! Please keep us posted! Sending :pray: her way...

JanUet
08-16-2006, 04:39 PM
:holyshp: Poor Mimi :sosad:
Sending her :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and hope that Mommies's pocketbook can handle the shock!

You are Wonderful Andrea for getting her checked out :hearts1:

Otto'sMom
08-16-2006, 04:48 PM
I'd gotten all my puppers on it (preventative) and figured it be a good idea to do the same for her. I'd asked her Mom earlier if it'd be OK for her to get on preventative and if she needed her shots and she'd said yes, that Mimi hadn't had any shots that she knew of. The vet said heartworms can be undetectable for up to 10 months and that her GI trouble probably wasn't an effect of heartworms. The vet said he's had a run of tummy trouble in the practice lately.

quavec
08-16-2006, 04:52 PM
When your belly rumbles, call me. I'll drive over and feed you. Thank doG you had her checked. Let's hope they can get rid of it without it hurting her too much. HW preventative is so necessary down here.

HotDogMama
08-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Thats terrible!! :sosad: Hopefully she will respond soon! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: rays for Mimi!!

Alex's Mom
08-16-2006, 04:55 PM
:appl: :appl: for you, Andrea for being such a good carer...I don't want to be judgemental, but perhaps Mimi would be better off staying with you? It doesn't sound like her mom is up to speed on dog care 101!!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for tummy and HW to clear up soon!!! (I'll send you a care package if it gets too bad LOL...I know all about that not eating or buying grocs in a month so that the animals can eat!!)

jenfer
08-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mimi. And :pray: for the $$$ situation.

Otto'sMom
08-16-2006, 05:07 PM
:hearts: Thanks, I always make sure the pups eat better than I do. Mimi got peanutbutter mixed in with her food this morning to make her want to eat it. I sit in the cat room with her and coax her to eat her breakfast. I think she barfed it up later, found a pile I have to clean up by the pillow she likes to snuggle in.

I secretly think she'd be better off with me. She plays with the dog toys and gets to go on long walks. But maybe her Mom just hasn't had the chance to take care of her yet :dunno:

quavec
08-16-2006, 05:11 PM
But maybe her Mom just hasn't had the chance to take care of her yet :dunno:

Good that you aren't thinking the worst of her mom - yet. Let's hold the jury until she responds about the treatment for HW. It isn't cheap. I just can't imagine anyone living in this area for any length of time NOT knowing to use HW preventative - that's usually the first thing a vet tells you about down here. I mean really, can she not see the skeeters the size of a Yugo?

Frzframe
08-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. :hug99: I know it's not common practice yet BUT most vet schools are recommending that dogs with heartworms be given Heartgard (or whatever you use) to weaken the worms and kill off the mircoflea in their blood stream. I'll see if I can find the email that was sent to me and forward it on to you.

catstamm
08-16-2006, 06:48 PM
:appl: :appl: for you, Andrea for being such a good carer...I don't want to be judgemental, but perhaps Mimi would be better off staying with you? It doesn't sound like her mom is up to speed on dog care 101!!! :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for tummy and HW to clear up soon!!! (I'll send you a care package if it gets too bad LOL...I know all about that not eating or buying grocs in a month so that the animals can eat!!)
ITA.....I'm so sorry Andrea.....you are an amazing mommy. I hope you hear from her mom soon and she sends you a credit card! Your an angel ...sending good luck :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for lottery winnings and :hug99: to you!
It's very nice of you to give her mom the benefit of the doubt....

areese
08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm so glad you had her tested!!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a successful treatment and her mommy should pay for all of it!!! Poor lil Mimi....
I hope she is feeling better soon from her tummy troubles.

Patt
08-16-2006, 09:10 PM
It doesn't sound like her mom is up to speed on dog care 101!!! ITA on that point!!
This is a tough break for little Mimi and you. :sosad:
Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers for Mimi and :hug99: :hug99: for you. Please keep us updated.

If she needs financial help she could try one of the following:
www.carecredit.com
http://www.imom.org
http://www.help-a-pet.org
http://www.thepetfund.com/default.htm

Otto'sMom
08-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks Patt! Those are some great sites. I'll have to see about that care credit.

LUVMYGUNNER
08-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Wow the poor thing.:sosad:

Tex
08-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mimi and some for your pocket book too! Atleast until you hear from her mom..........man, I can't imagine what it would be like to get the e-mail that your dog is really sick while you're deployed! (Yes, I'm giving mom the benifit of the doubt here....I don't know the whole story........)

Bella's Mom
08-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: coming your way for Mimi.

Lee Anne
08-17-2006, 04:04 PM
:doh: I forgot about that Care Credit program!! You have a year to pay it back, interest free! Great catch Patt!

Otto'sMom
08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Care Credit isn't accepted at that vet. Crap. I wonder if there's a site that shows the ones that do.:scratch:

There is and I found one! Got my instant application and will get Mimi treated as soon as her tummy gets better, next week!

Wiener Mom
08-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Sending get well :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mimi!

Lee Anne
08-17-2006, 05:58 PM
There is and I found one! Got my instant application and will get Mimi treated as soon as her tummy gets better, next week!

:cheer2: :banana: :appl: :hula1: :hug99:

Anatresia
08-17-2006, 06:32 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mimi!!!!

:pray: for you, :angel7: I hope that this doesn't cause you to starve!!! We'll have to send you food!!! Diet food!:rotfl:

Jen
08-17-2006, 07:16 PM
So glad the Care Credit will work and Mimi can get the treatment!

How old is she? I mean she has had NO shots till now? And even here I keep Tasha on HW meds year round (we tend to go on a trip to the south in the winter too).

Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mimi and :hug99: for you. Got a dollar store there? The canned and dried (people) food is a good deal!

Bella's Mom
08-18-2006, 02:05 PM
So glad you found a vet that will accept the care credit! Hope Mimi is feeling better soon.:bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Patt
08-18-2006, 02:11 PM
:woohoo: I'm glad Care Credit worked for you. :appl:
Many healing tummy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mimi.

Otto'sMom
08-18-2006, 02:30 PM
I think Mimi is 3, and no, she hasn't had any shots. Her Mom saw an ad in the paper for a free dog and couldn't leave her in the horrible situation she was in. I'm sure she just got busy with deploying and all that, and she was really in a fix with no one to watch her. I think I'd only been at the command for a week or 2 before she asked me if I could do it for her. I was thrilled to help. She really is concerned about Mimi, she got the 2nd email I sent (which was less detailed than the first) so I emailed the officer in charge about it. I was dealing with him on another matter and he was kidding me about not offering up any chit chat, I was straight to the point about the business at hand. So in my reply I chit chatted the heck out of him and told him to tell the girl about the dog....and to take up a collection:rotfl:
Can't wait to see what he says back.