PDA

View Full Version : Clifford

Courtney
08-16-2006, 08:53 PM
I got a call at 4 p.m. today from one of the Dallas animal shelters. They had just gotten in a red standard male who appeared to have been hit by a car and wanted to know if CTDR could get him to a vet...immediately. So I made a couple phone calls then called the shelter back to say I was on my way. They said he had just had a seizure. :( I got there as quickly as I could and took him immediately to my own vet, which was an hour closer than our rescue vets and open longer.

The prognosis obviously was not good. He had continued to have bad seizures and had one at the vet. I could tell he was pretty out of it. He had head trauma and the vet was not sure if it was old or new. He had a couple scars above his eyes and his head had bumps/ridges indicating a possible fracture or other trauma. It looked really bad. We discussed his options and basically all the vet could do was try to put fluids in him to stabilize him and try to get the seizures to stop. I talked to one of our board members and she talked to the vet as well, and we made the decision that we would put him at peace and end the obvious hell he had been living in.

I knew in the car that things weren't looking good for him. I hesitated to name him for that reason, but I also did not want him to die nameless. I saw a sign that said "Cliff" and then Clifford popped into my head - it fit. I cried as we sent Clifford the big red dachshund to the bridge and I gave him a lot of kisses and pets and told him I was sorry things had to end this way for him. I know he is at peace now, and I have peace knowing that he died on a soft bed covered with soft towels with love around him, and not alone, scared and in pain on the streets or in the shelter. He'll be cremated and his ashes will be put at a pet cemetery. I'm sorry Clifford and I will see you again someday.

:angel7: :angel7: :angel7:

JanUet
08-16-2006, 08:58 PM
:imsorry: Clifford :hearts:

May you find peace and run pain free at Rainbow Bridge.
I will lite a :candle: for Clifford tonight.

:thankyou: Courtney for going to the shelter to get him and bring him to your vet. It certainly makes me feel better that he was around loving people when his time came.

God Speed Clifford God Speed

My Question: Where was his hooparents?

Linus
08-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Oh Clifford, I'm so sorry. Godspeed little guy!

:bighug: to you, Courtney!

K2
08-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Poor Clifford. :hearts: :angel7: Thank you Courtney for being there for him and with him and helping him find peace.

Goob
08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Thank you for helping Clifford to a better place. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

laura
08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Poor Clifford! Thank you for making his ending on this planet as peaceful and thoghtful as you could!

LUVMYGUNNER
08-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Sorry to hear this.

catstamm
08-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Clifford found his first angel in YOU....the best moments of his life were probably in your arms.......Thanks :hearts:
Rest in Peace "Clifford the Big Red Doxie" ....life will be sweet from here on out :angel7: :angel7:

doxrox
08-16-2006, 10:43 PM
He'll definitely be waiting for you at the Bridge. I'm so glad you were there for him.

lizzieb38
08-16-2006, 10:54 PM
:tissue: :candle3: :candle2: Poor little man, I'm glad an:angel7: came along to at least give you some love in your last moments on earth. You are at the bridge, and there are lots of Our friends to play with and love you there. Be Happy now, little Clifford!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

ebmw1975
08-16-2006, 10:55 PM
I am so sorry to be reading that. Thank you Courney from the bottom of my heart for being an angel:angel7: when Clifford needed one the most. I will say a prayer for him and you and all the rescurers out there.

lotsadox
08-16-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm so :sorry: Courtney. I know that you try so hard to save as many as you can and when you can't save one, the sense of failure can be overwhelming. You have not failed. As you said, he died surrounded by love and warmth. That is a blessing and you are the one that made it possible. Run free, sweet Clifford! :angel7:

Patt
08-17-2006, 01:40 AM
:sosad: I will light a :candle3: for Clifford. Thank you for being his guardian :angel7:

Tex
08-17-2006, 07:20 AM
:sosad: I will light a :candle3: for Clifford. Thank you for being his guardian :angel7:

:ditto: (too hard to post while crying)

oceangirls
08-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Oh Courtney, I'm so sorry :sad2: !!!

Run free at the Rainbow Bridge, little guy!

Yolanda
08-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Courtney,

I am sorry to red the post. However, as much as we want we can't save them all. :pray: :pray:

Laurie' s Dachshunds
08-17-2006, 08:43 AM
You did a good thing Court. Bless you! I' m sure Clifford will be a guardian angel for you now.

HotDogMama
08-17-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry Courtney, but you did all you could.

:candle: for Clifford, the newest :angel7: :hearts:

quavec
08-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Oh courtney - thank God you were there to comfort him on his journey to the bridge. I can't think of anyone more compassionate to let him know that his journey was just beginning. God Speed Clifford. :angel7:

Alex's Mom
08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Bless you, Courtney, for giving Clifford a peaceful and dignified end. No, we can't save them all, but it doesn't hurt any less for all that. Alex and I will light a :candle: for our newest :angel7: .:hug99: :hug99:

Jen
08-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Courtney, you did a good thing, he was with a loving person at the end, and went peacefully and loved. Who can ask for more. :hug99: :hug99:

Gotta go blow my nose now....:sad1:

Rae
08-18-2006, 08:40 AM
:sad1: that is such a sad story, Courtney. I am so glad you were there (as hard as it was for you ) to help Clifford. Since we don't know anything about him besides this, I think it is safe to say he went to the bridge knowing love and compassion, and he was not alone in some shelter but in the arms of a true :angel7: .

We should all be so fortunate when our time comes.

Thank you for being such a caring and compassionate person, and thank you for sharing Cliff's story.

Kerie
09-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Courtney, I wish I could be as brave and giving as you are. I think I'd want to just stay in bed for a week if I'd just gone through the ordeal of picking up a dachsie in that condition, naming him and then sending him off to the bridge within a few hours. I'm sure Clifford will always remember you and will wait for you at the bridge.