PDA

View Full Version : Be honest here...how many of you brush your dogs teeth?

Jill
12-20-2005, 09:03 PM
:evilgrin:

Bailey is a total BEAST. He fights and fights and fights until I give up. I just can't take him squirming and fighting and standing and punching me. YES, punching me.

He wasn't too bad when he was a puppy, and then when his tooth got tender I kinda slacked off doing it. :ashamed: I am a bad mama.

Reese does ok with it. It's not his favorite thing to do, but he knows that after the stinky stuff is done in their ears that the yummy chicken toothpaste is coming!

My question is, is a good cleaning once a year going to be ok? :faint:

They get CET chews weekly along with other chewy treats that are supossed to be good for their teeth. The toothpaste is enzymatic, so as soon as it hits enamel it should start working...

:brocolli:

Lisa
12-20-2005, 09:08 PM
I am a bad Mommy :ashamed: I should brush their teeth, but I don't - it is crazy trying to do it. They do get a raw diet, chews and the enzyme stuff in their water.

Jill
12-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Lisa, how does that enzyme stuff work? I was thinking about trying some.

Goob
12-20-2005, 09:14 PM
OK in all honesty I don't either. It's hell and I almost ended up in the emergency room the last time we tried. The vet always checks their teeth and tells me I'm maintaining them wonderfully though. :scratch:

Patt
12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Hmmm I'm really bad, I work at my vets and I have never brushed any of my pets teeth. :faint: Totally shameful. Trixie does get C.E.T. chews to help keep her teeth clean.

Mama S.
12-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Only time my guys have seen a toothbrush is when they've stolen mine and tried to eat it :rotfl: oh wait - that's supposed to be a bad thing:scratch: Vet has never given us any guff over teeth. Only time we have everhad an issue with teeth is when Hersheys baby canines refused to fall out and we had them extracted.
Sandi

JanUet
12-20-2005, 10:55 PM
I've tried to do Sophies! :huh: She is getting a Dental in January!

Casey doesn't mind it. After Christmas I swear i will clean them more often!

Well, maybe not swear....but i know when i do, do it....I will be cussing!:bleep:

jenfer
12-20-2005, 11:39 PM
I tried...

If the tooth paste is on my finger, she will lick it. But if the tooth paste is on my finger and I ATTEMPT to put it near her teeth, she ran away. :scratch: :scratch: :confused: :confused: :seeya:

Jacqueline
12-21-2005, 01:10 AM
I haven't cleaned Taffy's, but check them regularly. My DIL worked with a groomer, and told me it is important to feed them crunchy food. I give her the compressed rawhide bones to chew on, too. I had started with the regular rawhide bones with the knots tied in them.....well....that lasted about a week or two. They were too easy to break, fall into small pieces that I worried about, always taking away from her. The big compressed types give her plenty of chewing exercise, seem to keep her teeth clean, and by the time they get to a small piece, she is looking for a new one.

I've seen and heard a lot of complaints about doggie breath....but can't complaint about Taffy's.

Lisa
12-21-2005, 06:44 AM
Lisa, how does that enzyme stuff work? I was thinking about trying some.
I find it really helps with their breath...but I don't think it does anything for their teeth. The vet said how it helps is the enzyme's change the structure of the tarter that is already there and makes it much easier for them to get it off when he does the dental and he can therefore do a much more thorough cleaning.

Nancy
12-21-2005, 08:53 AM
I brush Molly's teeth once a week and I use Oxyfresh in her water every day. I also give her a chew treat once a week as well.

Just before I got Molly, her teeth were AWFUL! Gums were red/swollen and the vet had to pull two.

Trust me, she doesn't like her teeth being brushed, but a little treat after makes everything better! :banana:

LUVMYGUNNER
12-21-2005, 09:26 AM
I tried, but by the time I get the brush in their mouth the toothpaste has been licked off. I also use a blue liquid in their water which is supposed to help with tarter-but not sure if it does. They get CET chews, marrow bones, I watch what they eat.

quavec
12-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Nope, I tried to be vigilant and do it, but he pees on me. Yes, he is a submissive pee-er, but I think he was doing it just to get back at me for trying to brush his teeth. When he goes for his checkups, I have the vet do a dental on him. So far so good.

Otto'sMom
12-21-2005, 11:25 AM
I don't, but I am considering making it one of my New Year's Resolutions. Otto gets the stank breffus, complete with little stinky lines eminating from his head. He had one tooth pulled back in June when he had it done, now he's got a little hillbilly gap on the bottom front row.

Grrt's teeth....we just don't look or talk about those. When she does mean snarly at you, it's ULGY! All her little chompers worn down and snaggletoothy.

Everybody else has wonderful chompers.

Fluffy
12-21-2005, 11:32 AM
I attempt to with Buddy, but I usually end up w/ the toothpaste all over me. Heidi is a no go. They do however get dental rings about once every two weeks and they are both going in for a dental in Feb. Lisa what is the name of the stuff you put in their water? And, my dogs almost never have water in their bowls...they drink a lot so they always empty it, when they are ready for more, they kick the bowl around and I go fill it...would it still help if they drink that fast??

K2
12-21-2005, 02:55 PM
I tried. Pippit will let me put my finger in his mouth and move it around on his teeth, but once there is toothpaste on it~he clamps his mouth shut tight!

Yolanda
12-21-2005, 03:06 PM
GOOSEMan says "what teeth .... i don't hve and stinking teeth"