PDA

View Full Version : Lady Bug RIP

AgileOllie
08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
I brought this precious girl to the vet today. Her tail was wagging. She just knew that I was going to save her and keep her from ever having to go through anymore torment. When she looked at me I saw trust. That trust wasn't even earned. It was hope. For once in her life someone gave her attention- a scratch on the ear, a scratch under the chin. GOOD food. Clean water. She thought she'd found heaven.
Instead I brought her to a place that scared her, but still she trusted me. The doctor looked her over, shook his head and delievered the bad news. It is cancer- the worst kind- some sort of "oma" that spreads like wild-fire. The surgery would entail a complete masectomy that she probably wouldn't survive- only to give her a few pain-filled weeks that she spent recovering from the surgery if she did survive. The cancer was also in her lymph nodes and most likely in her organs as well. The vet commented that she'd probably had many many litters of puppies, based on stretch and wear on her nipples. Her teeth were rotten and mostly only exposed root was visible. The vet techs and I rubbed her exposed belly as she wagged her tail, obviously loving the star treatment. Four of us held her as she took her last breath- most of us crying, but trying to be strong for her. I told her I was sorry I let her down and I hope she heard me. I wanted so badly to give her just a few more months to learn what being loved felt like. I wanted her to sleep in the big bed just a few nights. I wanted to see her act silly when the treat jar came out.
I am so angry- I'm angry at a faceless person who first allowed her to get this way. Spaying her would've prevented all of this. Even spaying her 4-5 years ago probably would've made this a lot easier. I'm angry that they let it get so bad that it drug the ground, bleeding, causing her to wince with every step.
I'm angry at myself because I allowed myself to hope that I could make things better for her. The only solace that I have right now is that she didn't die in the gas chamber at the pound. I'm greatful for that. Please light a candle for this little girl and PLEASE SPAY AND NEUTER. Educate friends and families. Use Lady Bug as an example. Help me give her life and death some meaning to those who can still be saved.

oceangirls
08-18-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm so sorry, Tonya! :sad2:

The little girl is okay now at the Rainbow Bridge, and she understands:hearts: .

I agree, this should be read by ANYONE who is considering breeding... since it can increase the risk of mammary tumors. Just something they REALLY need to think about :(

Otto'sMom
08-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Although the love you gave her was only for a short while, the quality of it was worth her lifetime. You gave her the greatest gift a human can give a dog, unconditional love and an easy release from suffering.:hug99: You are that ONE person who made a difference in her life, and for that, I am thankful.

quavec
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Oh Tonya - you did what you could. You have her love in the time she was with you. I know she will take those wonderful feelings with her to the bridge. :hug99:

Courtney
08-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Tonya, having gone through something like this this week, I know how hard it is. Thank you for being there for her. She did know love from you, even if it was way too brief. :angel7: :angel7:

Patt
08-18-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm truly sorry Tonya. :sosad: I will light a :candle3: for Lady Bug. :hug99:

My precious :angel7: Gretel a former mill mama also had mammary cancer.

JanUet
08-18-2006, 01:39 PM
I knew that i shouldn't have opened this thread and read it.
I was just telling Doug about her and I read this thread out loud to him.

I was crying. The tears just flowed. Myheart is aching. Doug was comforting me as I read the whole story.
How can people be so Frigging cruel? :mad2:
This morning I had hopes for that little girl. Now, sadly those hopes have been shattered.

:thankyou: Tonya for showing her what :love5: was, if only for a brief moment, I know that she felt it.

God Speed Lady bug..... I am so sorry :hearts:
Run free little girl and romp and play at Rainbow Bridge with all of the DLC :angel7: that passed before you.

Anatresia
08-18-2006, 02:11 PM
You have me crying, too, Tonya. Such a sad story. You did the right thing- the only thing you could do. I'm so sorry you had to go through it, and more sorry for the little girl!!!

Alex's Mom
08-19-2006, 07:09 AM
So much DLC sadness this week. Poor little girl...at least she knew some love at the end. Bless you :angel7: Tonya, for giving her that much at least, and a peaceful, loving and dignified crossing. :hug99::hug99:

HotDogMama
08-19-2006, 08:05 AM
I couldn't post yesterday, I had to finish cooking dinner with tears in my eyes.... I'm glad she had her last days with you, :bighug: I'm sorry you have to deal with this kind of stuff.... :angel7:

Lisa
08-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Tonya, you are an amazing wonderful woman. :thankyou: for all you did for Lady Bug. My heart just breaks for you. :heartbk:

laura
08-19-2006, 09:56 AM
OH NO!!!I am so sad...Thank you Tonya for ending her time on this planet knowing love..

Tex
08-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Tonya you are an :angel7: for helping this little girl know love and find peace. I know that she's happy and pain free now......:hearts:

AnnMarieK
08-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Tonya this is such sad news...she had such a sweet face..I hoped that there could be help for her....you are such a good person for caring so much..:hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Jen
08-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Oh Tonya, I'm so sorry to hear that letting her go was the only thing that could be done for Ladybug. She did have a chance to know love from you, and that, and a less painful end, are a great gift to her! :hug99: :hug99:

Teddysmom
08-19-2006, 10:51 PM
At least she was able to know love and compassion before she passed to the Rainbow Bridge; thanks to you. So sorry you had to go thru that:sad1:. Lighting a few candles for Lady Bug :candle3: :candle3: :candle3: Just remember that she's in a better place and she's waiting for you and will probably give you hundreds of kisses in thanks for what you've done for her. Hugs to you :bighug: :hug99: to hopefully help you feel better.