View Full Version : Low Red & White Blood Cells & Platelets

Yolanda
08-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Woodie, one of"The Triplets" was adopted by a wonderful family. He despertedly needs some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray: :pray: . He is at the vets and has been there since Sunday. He started Sunday with bloody stool and just not wanting to be bothered. Originally, it was though that he has tumor on his spleen. Now they aren't sure what it is.

This is from the vets office yesterday

Dear Mr. Polartiz:

I hope you got my voice mail regarding Woody this evening. I did finally
receive the report from Antech around 6:30 pm. The results do confirm lowred cells, white cells, and platelets...all are produced in the bone marrow. Giant platelets were noted...these are the immature form, which means he is trying to remedy the low platelet count. However, he is NOT making the red cell precursors (reticulocytes). I listed the possible dieases on the voice mail ...... I ran a heartworm test on him tonight, not so much to see if he had heartworms, but to check for 2 of the possible 3 major tick borne illnesses. He was negative for Ehrlichia canis (which causes bleeding, anemia and low platelets) and Lyme disease, usually associated with muscular aches, fever, anemia and low platelets. It does NOT test for rocky mountain spotted fever. To test him, I'd need to send off tick titers to that same lab, which USUALLY take 2 or 3 days to get results. As a precaution, I have started him on the antibiotic appropriate for tick diseases. If he improves, I will continue that drug.

Thank you,

Dr. Elizabeth Beadles (Mechanicsville Animal Hospital)

Tex
08-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Oh no!!! So sorry to hear that he's under the weather! Sending major get better :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: !

Alex's Mom
08-23-2006, 07:29 AM
not good news at all, poor little guy!!! Sounds like the vet's doing her best to try and sort it out though. Many many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for him to feel better.

HotDogMama
08-23-2006, 08:48 AM
So sorry to hear this....:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: lots of rays for the lil guy!!! :hug99:

Jen
08-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Oh no!! Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that they isolate the problem and can start treatment!

Anatresia
08-23-2006, 08:57 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for the little guy!!!

catstamm
08-23-2006, 09:02 AM
OMG....wasn't he adopted out recently? I hope everything works out for Woodie.......:pray: :pray: :pray: :hearts:

areese
08-23-2006, 09:29 AM
mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Woody. I am hoping and :pray: it will be something treatable.

AgileOllie
08-23-2006, 09:36 AM
How scary!! Keeping him in our thoughts!!

lotsadox
08-23-2006, 12:52 PM
OMG, Yolanda, sending tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Patt
08-23-2006, 01:03 PM
More :bigrayz: :rayz::bigrayz: :rayz::bigrayz: and :pray:ers for Woody from CA.

quavec
08-23-2006, 02:16 PM
TONS of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray: :pray: for Woody.

Rae
08-23-2006, 02:34 PM
it SOUNDS like he is in competent hands.

lizzieb38
08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Mega get well :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for the poor little guy!!:pray: :pray: That he feels better soon.