PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Leader

Courtney
08-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Anyone have any tips for getting a dog used to a Gentle Leader? I bought one for Thor. He hates it. I can't put the loop around his nose with him FRANTICALLY trying to paw it off. I can't even click and treat to distract him, he just goes right back to pawing. I am pretty sure I fit the neck part correctly - very tight, right behind the ears and above the adam's apple. Tonight I thought I would just go for it and try a walk since the booklet said something like the dog may resist and rear up at first. Well, Thor reared up and pawed at his face the entire way down the street. I thought he was going to have a heart attack so I took the nose part off and just used it as a collar. Anyway...any tips???

Patt
08-24-2006, 12:03 AM
I've never used a Gentle Leader but I found this link for the correct way to put it on. This may or may not be in your instructions. Looks like it's suppose to apply pressure to the back of the neck and he will go backwards not up. If he's pawing maybe it's not on right. :scratch:

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=18

:goodluck:

Patt
08-24-2006, 12:29 AM
I checked on a Dog board and it seems a lot of the people are experiencing the same problem with the GL's. They also claim it can do damage to the neck. :scratch: They like the Easy Walk Harness better, it is made by the same company. Maybe you could exchange yours and try it.

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74

jenfer
08-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Gigi has one. Once I put it on she has the saddest face. And try to paw it off. Or if we TRY to go for a walk. She will walk 3 steps, stop, paws on nose trying to get it off and the process repeat. She will take treats and stuff, but she hates it. Can you just have him wear it at home (not on walks) for a few minutes a day and lots of treats and then gradually move from there???

jenfer
08-24-2006, 12:33 AM
The easy walker looks nice. Wonder anyone has it? Gigi doesn't pull usually when we are IN THE PARK... but on the way there or anywhere new, she likes to go her way. :rolleyes:

jennie_c_d
08-24-2006, 04:08 AM
Teenie's sister, Emma, has an Easy Walk. I like it. Emma hates it. She looks pathetic, when I put it on. I haven't used one on Teenie. Emma's falls off of her. It works really well. I think Emma doesn't like that she can't pull. I normally don't use any aversives on her, so maybe it seems harsh to her. I dunno.

K2
08-24-2006, 07:38 AM
I've used one with Pippit. Can you distract with treats while putting it on? (Pippit hated it but would let me put it on him)

Tex
08-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Julie has a gentle lead. She pawed at it when I first put it on her, but then we went out for a walk and I got her to run. She pretty much couldn't consentrate on running and paw at the lead at the same time. Sorry, no real inspiring advice here, but sending lots of :goodluck: :goodluck: :goodluck: !

catstamm
08-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Lee Anne used a gentle leader on Big T, maybe she has some tips. LeeAnne?