PDA

View Full Version : Knows She Was Bad?

Otto'sMom
08-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I've always been told that dogs don't feel guilt, that they're just reacting to your emotional state when you catch them in the act.
The other day, Dolly swore at someone out in the play room (she says HABBA HABBA when torqued) and instead of me going out there and punishing her, I figured that whoever did it probably deserved it and I wasn't even the least bit ticked off, not even for a second. I went out there to make sure there was no more bloody ears, and all the dogs came out to greet me and Dolly had her BIG TIME I'M SO SORRY submissive ears on. She makes her ears hang lower when she's been bad. I didn't even comment on the commotion, was feeling pretty lighthearted too. She clearly wasn't reacting to my state of mind but her own.
Grrrrrt did something similar too this week: She was in super GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRt mode and feeling pretty hostile on the couch under the blanket. I was moving the blanket so she would simmer down and she bit me, turned and chomped my hand. Didn't hurt at all and I was laughing after she did it. I went to pet her and she squinted her eyes and practically sucked her eyes back into her head and flinched severely in anticipation of getting smacked. I've NEVER hit her head. Ever. Smacked her little rump once, but NEVER her noggin. Like I said, my emotions were totally in check and I was actually trying to soothe her. What gives?

Frzframe
08-25-2006, 04:40 PM
I dunno but Mitzi is the same way and Dudley well he always acts like he's in trouble so he's no help in figuring things out. :rolleyes:

AgileOllie
08-25-2006, 05:07 PM
I totally think that dogs have emotions. When I am sad, or crying (which is alot lately now that my hormones are out of whack) Ollie ALWAYS runs to me, gets in my lap and puts his little paws around my neck. It's just as though he's really trying to comfort me.
I have no doubt that dogs have emotions.

catstamm
08-25-2006, 05:36 PM
You laughed when she chomped on you hand :rotfl: :rotfl: I think that's the wrong message mom!!!:rotfl:

Tex
08-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Wed. night I came home from work with a horrible headache. I laid down on the bed and both Julie & jax came up to cuddle. I think Jax came up bc John had gotten mad at him for almost marking a table in the bedroom. I think there's some truth to both theories. I know that dogs can pick up on our emotions, and sometimes I think they have emotions all their own. Good luck figuring this one out!