PDA

View Full Version : how do you treat anal glands?

Kerie
12-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I think Oscar needs his anals "done" again. He hadn't been licking back there at all and now he has started again. He doesn't scoot, though. His stool is firm, so I am surprised this happens.

Last time, we were at the vet anyway and she took care of it. This time, he doesn't need the vet otherwise. What do I do? Will I be charged a lot of money to take him in for this? Do I call the vet or a groomer? Our vet is quite expensive and I don't expect that she has any kind of special price for this. Should I just call and ask? Should I learn to do it myself? If so, would you advise wearing rubber gloves? Also, if I bring him in and it turns out his anals are okay, do I get charged?

TIA

Patt
12-21-2005, 08:13 PM
To learn to do this techique I would have your vet or groomer teach you the correct procedure. Yes, it would be very wise to wear rubber gloves and place a small towel over the area so you do not spray yourself or the walls. Eww..... I personally would have it done by a professional but some do their own dogs. There will be a charge at your vets and the groomers, but I'm sure the vet will be more expensive also there would be a small fee of some kind if the glands are empty possibly a short office visit. I would call to find out their procedure.

Here is a couple of links to learn how to do it yourself.

Below are two sites with flash video: GRAPHIC!

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0029.htm

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=625&S=1&SourceID=42

p.s. check out the stickie on this forum by Lisa

Lisa
12-21-2005, 08:22 PM
If it is your first time doing it, I would strongly recommend you go to the vet and have him show you the proper technique.

Here is a link for you to look at as well. Anal Glands (http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?p=6110#post6110)

Courtney
12-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Woo, I'd never do that myself! Petsmart has charged me $5 to do it before. I think my vet charges $15. I would just call and ask around!

Kerie
12-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Well, I did observe very carefully when the vet did it. And then I caught a wiff. Eeeeeeeww! I'd like to get to know a groomer and decide where to take Oscar, so maybe I should go that route. He just had a bath and his nails are good. Would they do just the anals at our first appointment.

And, I decided that I have to blame someone for the anal gland issues, so since these signs were available, here goes: :lisafault :rafifault :janet:

You guys don't mind taking the blame, right?

jenfer
12-22-2005, 02:04 AM
I pay $10 to have a groomer do it for me.

Patt
12-22-2005, 02:09 AM
Well, I did observe very carefully when the vet did it. And then I caught a wiff. Eeeeeeeww!
That's why I said good idea for rubber gloves and be sure to keep the area covered. :rotfl: I would call Petsmart or other grooming places and see what their procedure and fee is. Looks like Courtney gets it done for $5 which is a heck of a deal! My vet charges $32. For AG problems feeding more fiber helps. It's not a cure all but sometimes feeding 100% PURE pumpkin helps keeps things moving, I know it helps Trixie. Depending on how often Oscar has to have his AG's expressed it might be worth the $5 or $10. to let someone else do it.
Good luck. :banana:

Kerie
12-22-2005, 06:22 PM
For $30 or less, I would have someone else do it. I'll see if I can find someone!!

lotsadox
12-22-2005, 07:49 PM
I used to have a dog with really bad AG problems. They had to be expressed monthly when she was young. The groomer taught me how, but I really hate doing it. I had to do Miller's once when we first had him but haven't had to since. The last time they were expressed was when the vet tried to trim his toenails. She couldn't do all of his nails (his eyes roll back in his head and he looks like he's going to have a seizure), but he did express his anal glands. Eeewwww! :shocked:

Susa
12-23-2005, 10:29 AM
I do Isabel's pretty regularly. I had the vet teach me how.

Jen
12-23-2005, 01:01 PM
I had the Vet show me how but can't manage to do it. :scratch: Our Vet does it free on Thursdays, otherwise its $30! I agree, ask around at groomers, Petco, etc. I'm sure you can find a good price. Tasha was going to go in for nails and anals yesterday but between my surgery and the transit strike (they cancelled on me so I didn't feel so bad) I should call around too. Tasha's been chewing her nails after walkies....

Chapo's Mom
12-23-2005, 01:48 PM
It said to hold a towel over the dogs anal area and not the owners own mouth?!? :rotfl:
:vomit:I'll pay for that one.