PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering...

Laurie' s Dachshunds
08-27-2006, 09:14 AM
how do you correct your dog? For example if your dog doesn' t go into the crate when asked & hides behind it?
All mine listen very well. Sassy Baby usually doesn' t if I ask her to Crate Up. If I pick up the box of treats she runs right in. But then is that rewarding for bad behavior? Or do I keep it up?

Jen
08-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Tasha only goes in the sherpa for park trips and generally runs right in. If she doesn't usually repeating the command again and patting the sherpa does the trip. So not many suggestions from me.

Anyone who crates regularly?

ebmw1975
08-27-2006, 10:08 AM
im not too much help either. All I have to do is stand in the doorway to their room and make kissy noises and call them all happy sounding and in they run. They are only put up if no one is home so not too oftern, but they were both crate trained from the get go and they love their room. Brooke

Teddysmom
08-27-2006, 10:11 AM
How old is Sassy? If she does run into her crate when the treat box is picked up, then you reward her with the treat, no....it's not rewarding for bad behaviour. If you give her the treat BEFORE she goes in or she won't go into the crate until she gets her treat, then THAT is rewarding bad behaviour. Just keep using the treat box as the incentive and she'll eventually get the idea. Sometimes Teddy can be stubborn about getting into his crate for trips because he wants to see out the windows but i just tell him "go to your room or no bye-bye's" and he usually is willing to go into his crate. He doesn't get crated at home...only for car rides/trips. Good luck and just keep working with her on it.

Yolanda
08-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Treats for good behavior only and ignore the bad.

I use dried chicken strips for treats and will only give a dog a treat for good behavior and no other time. It works very well. It never ceases to amaze me how fast a foster dog learns this routine.

lotsadox
08-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm not that good at crate training. I crate trained my first dog 5 years ago and didn't do a very good job. I've gotten better since then and Scooter and Cash will run right in their crates. Occasionally Scooter won't want to go in, but if I just say his name and point to the crate that usually works. At obedience school they told us not to repeat the command, just say it once. If they don't obey you can repeat their name and the hand signal.

I sometimes fool them by putting treats in the crates when they aren't around so that they find them when they go in. It helps them think of the crate as a positive place. Scooter and Cash love going in their crates. Miller (the first dog I crate trained that I didn't do so well on) doesn't go in as easily, but he will nap in his crate so I think it's just him letting me know he isn't happy about me leaving. :rolleyes:

Patt
08-28-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't do crates! I believe you have your answer though. :) :goodluck:

Jacqueline
08-28-2006, 02:03 AM
My kids like their crates. When I first got Daisy, she wasn't thrilled about going in there. But we would just give them a little hug and kiss, put them down and pat them on the butt as they went in, and say, Good Girl. When we have to crate them to go out for a while, and leave them here, we just tell them to get in, close the door, and before we leave, we give them treats.

They will go into their rooms sometimes just to have some time alone. Just make it a nice place for your pupper. Mine have pillows and their blankets in their, and consider them as thier rooms.

Tex
08-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Julie doesn't do crates! She thinks the entire bedroom is her crate!!!:rotfl:
Jax goes into his crate pretty well. We haven't had him that long, so I believe he was crate trained by previous owners. We just say "get in your crate" and in he goes!!! Hope you get it all worked out. ITA with the using the box of treats as ok, as long as you don't have to actually give a treat before anybody goes into the crate!

Otto'sMom
08-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Austin used to hate going in the crate. Then he hurt his back and had no choice. He now LOVES going in there, mainly because I feed him first and that's where I put his bowl. I always make sure if he's getting a treat, that's where I give it to him.
Mimi, however, isn't food motivated so I don't know HOW to get her to love the crate.
Otto loves his cave (crate) too. He came to me that way.
Grrrrrrt will go in, but she's kinda off in the head so it's hard to gauge just what she likes.
Dolly will "go in her house" but I don't make her do it here.
Buddy is a Good Dog and requires no crating.:hearts:

areese
08-28-2006, 09:04 AM
I think as long as you treat her after she goes in, you aren't rewarding bad behavior. If the rest also get treats for going right in....I'd give them theirs in the crate with her watching...then when she goes in she gets hers. Don't lure her with it or put the treat in the crate before she goes in.
I don't use crates much so if I gotta use one for some reason...I have to stuff the dogs in LOL

Laurie' s Dachshunds
08-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks everybody! I usually treat them all after going in the crates. And Sassy is always trying to get a treat w/o going in! And hides behind it.
But when I shake the box & she' ll run in & then get the treat.
If I repeat the command & tap the crate, she still ignores me. But the box does the trick every time. I was wondering if she misbehaves to get treated every time she has to go in.
I was hoping I could get her out of the hesitation phase she is in. She is gonna be a yr. old on 9/13/06 my pack is crated everyday while I work & they sleep in them at night so, it' s not like this is anything new to her.