View Full Version : Back From the Vet

Otto'sMom
08-28-2006, 06:41 PM
:cheer2: Grrrrt didn't get her perscription for her hydroxyurea refilled cause her red blood cell count is normal:banana: Gotta recheck it in a month $$$ I'm going to have to change her tag to read "GRRRRRRRRT, I don't need my medicine!"

:cheer2: Austin got his shots and the vet was happy with his progress on stability and level of monkeyness.

:sosad: Mimi has to be on strict crate rest but can go on walks with us. She doesn't do that much moving around in the house as it is, do I have to keep her crated? She's pawsitively miserable, and I want to cuddle her like we normally do every day. She got the first injection today and has to go back in a month and then stay 2 days. She's got doxycyclene and prednisone for her heartwormie woes, and I'm almost out of the sneaky pill treats that she likes (cat salmon flavored pill pockets....that dog is one strange kitty) I went online and ordered some more..keeping my fingers crossed it gets here before Labor Day. I was JUST up at petsmart too...that annoys me.

lotsadox
08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Great news about Grrrrt and Austin. I don't know much about heartworm treatment, but I can't imagine that cuddling would hurt as long as she didn't get excited. :scratch: Anyone else with experience in this?

Jen
08-28-2006, 06:49 PM
I would think that on your lap cuddling would be quiet enough as long as she doesn't get too excited about it. Low key snugging sounds safe I would think.

Glad the visit went so well. Hope those pill pockets get there soon! Have you tried cheese? That's what we use for Tasha's daily supplement pill.

Yolanda
08-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Cuddleing is fine. What you don't want is for her to br running around and jumping all over. In other words no excitement.

Anatresia
08-28-2006, 08:51 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mimi. I'm glad your other two are doing fine!!!

Otto'sMom
08-28-2006, 09:02 PM
How do I avoid walkies excitement? Austin and Dolly and Buddy get pretty psyched when we see kitties or kids or other dogs. Mimi seems pretty good, but just how excited is too excited? I get no snout wars and no visiting kitties, no zoomies and no getting the neighbors behind the fence. Is our normal just chilling in the house in the evening, uncrated, too much. All the excitement is usually initiated by me. Mimi seems tough to ruffle except for those 4 things. A whole month without Mimi snout wars. This is going to be tough on MY heart.

Frzframe
08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
With Ruby I didn't take her for walks cause I didn't want to chance it. I let her outside by herself with just me to keep her calm. We cuddled on the sofa and I let her walk around but if someone started playing I made her kennel up. She didn't feel like doing anything much so we had an easy time of it.

:cheer2: for Grrrt!!!!!!

Patt
08-28-2006, 09:13 PM
How do I avoid walkies excitement? Austin and Dolly and Buddy get pretty psyched when we see kitties or kids or other dogs. Mimi seems pretty good, but just how excited is too excited? I get no snout wars and no visiting kitties, no zoomies and no getting the neighbors behind the fence. Is our normal just chilling in the house in the evening, uncrated, too much. All the excitement is usually initiated by me. Mimi seems tough to ruffle except for those 4 things. A whole month without Mimi snout wars. This is going to be tough on MY heart. I found the following link, I think it will be helpful and answer your questions. Check on HW Aftercare. I know it will be hard but it's best for her.

http://www.grrh.org/13Health/health.htm#Heartworm%20Treatment%20Aftercare

Otto'sMom
08-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Patt, that website kicked hinder! Very informative and just what I needed. I do wish the vet would've spent more time telling me that stuff rather than commenting on Grrrrrt's recovery from her rare blood disease, but I just eat up all the info the dude can give me, regardless if I need to know why Greyhounds are the best blood doners. (High oxygen and red bloodcell count)

Mimi is acting tired, but she doesn't show any soreness. She IS crated. I think the tough stuff is coming next month.

I was reading some of the symptoms....maybe that's why she was always so laid back. She just didn't have the stamina to be hyper. Wish it'd explain her lack of food motivation....wait a minute, it IS one of the signs! Anorexia!!

Frzframe
08-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Yes your right Andrea next month is harder on them. That was when Ruby got a cough and scared me half to death but it wasn't anything really bad.

I agree that site was awesome and I bookmarked it. Thanks Patt! See that site said not to go on walks but your vet said you could? Mine said not to and crate rest was a must. Ruby's heartworms weren't all that bad so maybe stage one or two.

Patt
08-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Unfortunately each vet has their own way of doing things. Maybe Mimi's HW is still in the early stages. :scratch: Possibly your vet meant short quiet walkies with Mimi alone. This would get her out a bit and she wouldn't be stir crazy being in the home all the time. The HW treatment and recovery is very scary.
Sending lots of HW :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers for Mimi.

Alex's Mom
08-29-2006, 06:04 AM
That's great news re: Grrrt and Austin, Andrea!!! But it does sound like you're going to have a tough month with Mimi. Just remember how it was with Austin...short term pain for long term gain! :hug99::hug99: We are SO lucky here in NS...heartworm is just starting to appear in the population, and usually from dogs that have contracted it outside the Maritimes. A very scary thing!!!

JanUet
08-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Glad to hear that Austin and Grrrt got a got bill of health! :cheer:

I think Mimi will be happy to just sit around and chill on your lap.
I couldn't think of a better way to recuperate.

Please keep us posted.

Patt... that is an awesome website! :thankyou: for sharing :hug99:

Tex
08-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Hurray for Austin & Grrrt!!!!!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
Sending lots of :pray: and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mimi! Hang in there! ITA with everybody else about lap time, walks, etc. Great website Patt!!!!!!!!!!

Otto'sMom
08-29-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm going with short quiet walks for Mimi, but it upsets her to see the rest of the herd leave without her, just like Austin used to feel :sosad: This morning we walked down the road a short ways and then right back. I am going to give her couch time cuddles and she sleeps with me too:hearts: She did get up in the early morning to poop and pee on the piddlepad though, maybe our morning solo jaunts will fix that:pray:

quavec
08-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Wow Andrea. I have no advice but lots of healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to the whole crew!

Otto'sMom
08-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Spoke with the vet today, and Mimi just needs to keep quiet in the house, not crated at this point. She's doing really well, and she's normally quiet in the house anyway. I can't take her on our mile walks, so that will make her sad. She's not peeing in crate or on my carpet either so that was a treat today.
She's a level 2 heartworm case, and thanks to the website I knew to ask what level she was. It means she's positive, but not loaded with heartworms at this point. No serious symptoms (the main ones being coughing and lack of stamina).

Patt
08-29-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm glad you called and got that straightened out. That's probably why he said she could walk.

More :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers for Mimi that all will go well. :crossfin:

areese
08-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Could you get one of those slings you can carry dogs in and carry her on the long walk with the others??

Otto'sMom
08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I think I'll do that, it really upsets her when I leave with the troops.

quavec
08-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Could you get one of those slings you can carry dogs in and carry her on the long walk with the others??
Awesome idea! :appl:

Otto'sMom
08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I normally put Grrrrt in my front pouch, but I think Mimi enjoys being with us more than Grrrrrt does. I should strap in with all of them, I've got a doggie backpack and the frontal thing.

Mama S.
08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
No advice but I do think you are a phenominal Mommy!! Your guys are as lucky to have you as you are to have them!!
Mama

Patt
08-30-2006, 06:44 PM
The sling would be perfect! Another idea would be a stroller like HRH's. You might find one in a second hand store. Does she like Kongs? Maybe she would be content chewing on a stuffed one while you are out walking the others.

Otto'sMom
08-30-2006, 08:28 PM
She is totally UNmotivated by kongs or food. We tried the pouch today and it worked perfectly. I'm so used to walking with 18lbs of Grrrrrt in it, that 8 lbs of Mimi was a breeze. Grrrrrt had to stay home, but that's Grrrrt for ya. She wants to come but when it comes to walking on the leash, she wants no part of it and no Cesar postive energy dragging/running with that weird little Grrrtlebug works.
A stroller would be nice, but I get enough weird looks with the half dozen dog walk.