PDA

View Full Version : Whining for Attention

Jen
11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Little Miss Tasha has actually become more friendly (her 18 month anniversary with us is tomorrow) and is now approaching people. I don't know if she'd just bark at them if they actually did stop to talk to/pet her, which has happened in the past, as New Yorkers are always too busy to pet a cute dog it seems.

But, this am she was wagging in my arms before I set her down, looking at strangers, so I knew she was in a gregarious mood. Well, we ran into her chihuahua friend Chico (who doesn't like her as much since she now runs up to greet him instead of hiding behind me :confused: ) and Chico's owner Nancy. Tasha LOVES Nancy, she's in her 50s I think, and Tasha loves mature ladies. Tasha whines and whines for attention from this woman, and my pup flips on her back, dashes around, and whines for more attention. She's so happy to get attention from the lady than DH and I can't help but feel a little slighted.

Have others noticed this with their dogs? Do they have "special" humans friends they're sooo excited to see? Since Tasha isn't a "normal" dog, this is kinda new for me.....(and yes, maybe it makes me a little jealous).

JuneyTrixie
11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Yes. Would you believe that when I take Trixie to the groomers, both Trixie and Juney (who refuses to stay home) will go bonkers trying to break into the groomers' house! :banana:

They also do the same whenever I have brought them back to visit with their breeder! :)

Jen
11-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Do they whine?

Tasha has always been such a shy, antisocial girl. This is so new to me. She had one other human friend but the lady got laid off about about 6 weeks of occasional encounters on walkies and we never saw her again.

Courtney
11-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Oh, you should see Napoleon work his charm. If someone he loves comes over, say Aunt Hope or Aunt Jessica, he wiggles and wiggles and wiggles and gives kisses - and he's not really a big kisser. Then if that person sits down he will go sit next to/on them and get petted while giving me a look that says "Why don't you love me like this?" He is an absolute attention whore. If the person is someone he REALLY loves, and these people are Daddy and Aunt Amy, he will do what we call "otter arms" where he leans back against the person, belly up, and waves his front paws around. Of course he's never really had shyness issues or anything....I can't say it makes me jealous because I know how much he loves me. It's just really funny!

JuneyTrixie
11-29-2005, 02:54 PM
They dash from the car, while screaming with a high-pitched squeal (sounds like they are being killed), race to the door, jumping up and down on the down, still squealing with the high pitch and crying. :bounce1: :bounce1: This is the groomers house, for goodness sakes! :huh: :seeya:

Courtney
11-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Forgot to add that Napoleon does whine when he wants attention...all of the freaking time!

Jen
11-29-2005, 03:04 PM
I can't say it makes me jealous because I know how much he loves me. It's just really funny!

Guess I'm just needy. Tasha really isn't as affectionate as most dachsies I've met. I think it was due to the rough treatment with her first family. And we do get the whole wiggle lick treatment when we arrive home from work--but of course we have to ignore it because of the separation anxiety issues--not fair.

Thanks for the reassurance all!!

Tasha rarely whines, lucky us!

Lisa
11-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Oh the noises! Yes, when my dad comes over Pogo actually squeals to get his attention (after he tried to pee on him!) Then he will do just like Courtney described,
Then if that person sits down he will go sit next to/on them and get petted while giving me a look that says "Why don't you love me like this?"

Pixel always makes noise, so it's a lot harder with him...I swear Pixel will speak in full English sentences one day.

Goob
11-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Snooter has grown quite attached to mutter (now that dad has been in remission for almost one year) lately. If she's behind the baby gate and can see me she whines so loud she practically howls.... :banana: Makes me happy b/c I know she loves me!

oceangirls
11-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Jen, I can't remember - was Tasha the one who was so attached to the lady you saw on walks that you were thinking an older lady had been kind to her in her past when she was abused? If that's so, I would think it is more of a conditioned response than a personal attachment or preference. But of course I can understand your feelings.

Tristan was very attached to his Grandma (husband's mom). He lived with his parents the first year we had Tristan (after we finished college before we got our house). Then we lived with them for several months after we sold our house prior to moving to FL. T would run back and forth from Mom to Grandma to share the love. :D However, she said he was unhappy when I was gone for more than a day, so that made me feel good.

As far as whining for attention, Cassie, like Pixel, has a full vocabulary. Angel sits up, waves her paws at you, and says "Roo-roo-roo!!" :)

Jen
11-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Good memory Kim. Tasha's former owner's mom was very kind to her, and she has an older lady fixation because of this I believe. We did have problems with an older lady (late 70s, early 80s), about a year ago, as it upset Tasha so much to leave after we met her on walkies, and the lady was picking her up in ways that were not back friendly--but the only way she could given her age, but it was right before the first back incident so I've always wondered.

Tasha chases after the over 60 ladies all the time!

Fluffy
11-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Buddy does the same thing when ANYONE comes over!! Heidi does it to an extent but she usually runs, grabs a nylabone and gnaws at it like its alive and she's trying to kill it...which is good b/c I'd rather her get the bone than gnaw on somoene's hand!! Buddy does the "roo-roo-roo" thing too and its quite pathetic...He's also infamous for the "Why don't you love me like this" face too...actually he does just about everything you all posted :rofl: He is "starving" for attention just about all the time!! When we pull into the road leading into my parents development, they go balistic cuz they know we're going to Grandma and Grandpa's! Heidi always has to bark, just once at whomever is working the guard house (its really not swanky...actually kinda dumb if ya ask me). Then they moan and cry the whole rest of the way to the house...as soon as we get there, they run off to go to the back yard and then the lovin begins!! Doesn't stop til we get in the car to go home...Buddy is notorious for the "so sleepy...but must stay awake" face...he tries SO HARD to stay awake to get as much attention as possible but he always konks out!!

Patt
11-30-2005, 02:45 AM
I think it's her way of communicating how happy she is seeing this lady, she loves to show how cute she is her way of showing off by 'talking' and wiggling. :D If it's annoying I guess it would be back to obedience training. We have a dog that comes to the vet clinic, he's fine with people but if he sees another dog, he continually 'talks' until they leave.

HotDogMama
11-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Me too....... my sister (Michele) can come over and its like I never existed.... but I think ours is mostly because thats about the only person that does come over......and her dog is about the only one that she ever gets to play with the people in my neighborhood are just not dog people I guess... but she totally ignores me when my sister is around, but one night when we were all at my mom's for my brother's bday party, I left her with them (sister too) while I went to get something out of the car, and my mom said she whined and cried the whole time I was gone (which made me feel good) now I feel bad cause I got pleasure from Molly's pain..... can't win for losing :rofl:

Jen
11-30-2005, 10:29 AM
This am Tasha was looking for Nancy (we only run into her about once a month) and plunked down where we'd run into her yesterday and refused to move! Like she was gonna wait! Ah furkids.

And yes, my attack of low self-esteem is over. Tasha spent yesterday evening wanting to be in my lap, all snuggly--which I love--but I was trying to get some knitting done!

LUVMYGUNNER
12-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Well if Tasha likes the mature ladies then she would realy like me. :rofl:

Alex's Mom
12-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Have others noticed this with their dogs? Do they have "special" humans friends they're sooo excited to see? Since Tasha isn't a "normal" dog, this is kinda new for me.....(and yes, maybe it makes me a little jealous).[/QUOTE]

Alex is very distrustful of anyone pretty much except me. The one exception is when I take her to the vet's for her chiro. Fortunately my vet is also one of my best friends, and Alex :hearts: her chiro/massage appointments! As soon as I walk into the waiting room she's tugging towards the chiro room. I usually just let her go, but on one occasion the door was closed cuz Laura (vet) had a client before me. "Too bad" says miss Alex! "Get out of my room!" and she just kept shoving at the door with her nose until she got it open. There was a german shepherd in there and I'm not sure who was more surprised! But Alex had the funniest "Well!! the nerve!!" look on her face as I (redfaced!) :( grabbed her and closed the door again!

Paula and the determined Alex!

Linus
12-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Bailey only whines every once in awhile..he takes the more direct approach...a flying leap onto you!! :shocked:

My parents' dachshund, Scout whines all the time for attention. If you leave him alone for 5 minutes he gives you the l@@k and whines until you pet him. :sosad:

Jen
12-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Well if Tasha likes the mature ladies then she would realy like me. :rofl:

Tasha already loves you Auntie Irma, since you sent her such gorgeous bandanas! I wonder if she'd recognize you by scent?!

jenfer
12-09-2005, 11:30 AM
the degree of "attention-seeking" varies. if it's someone in the park she will go and say hi (just sniff a bit and maybe wag her tail). and if it's someone she knows, like her godmother who visited wed, she won't stop jumping on her and then she rolled on her back and just very very excited, same as when she sees her trainer, she does the same thing... her eyes actually follows her around during class when she can't get to her. and she will "sit pretty" waiting to be petted and stuff. it's sort of interesting to watch. haha.

K2
12-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I think Pippit and Tasha are a lot alike. (Funny~I've had him for 17 months today) He has a special dance for me when I walk in the door~his "circle dance" he wines, cries and groans when he does this.

For my parents, he has a variation of the circle dance. No circles, just cries and groans and running back and forth.

Those are his only special people right now.

Puppen
12-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Whew...Puppen JUST Started this whinning business today, I was begining to wonder if she was hurting or something? but as soon as I got up she wanted to play right away. Also been in the kitchen a lot baking, and outside doing the lights...I think being away so much she is feeling neglected??

SusanF
12-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Oh I have it too when I am standing up somewhere and Ilsa is on the ground. She won't let up until i pick her up. Ummm yep she is one spoiled little girl. She loves people and expects ALL to play with her!:bounce9: