PDA

View Full Version : HRH food change

Rae
08-30-2006, 10:49 AM
OK I have had Duchie on Chicken soup senior for a bag and a half worth...

1/4 cup 2 x day , almost no treats and no people food except a small sniff of cheese every couple of days.

she is fluffing up.

She was on Diamond Low Fat Senior. She has had no change in her level of activity- just the food.

1/4 cup is not much... and of course she thinks she is starving to death.. I do not want to feed her something with a bunch of filler in it just for the sake of her enjoyment in the eating process.... but dang that is just not much food.

I did get my free bag of Nutro and am going to try that next - I do not wnt to keep switching her but need to find just the right fit.

advice?

quavec
08-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Cricket didn't do good with Nutro - he gained and I was feeding him the same amount.

I am useless in the food/nutrition area. Maybe she's gained from Grandma's loving?

Anatresia
08-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Is that why my dogs are fat? They've been on Nutro pretty much since birth, with the exception of six months or so when I was trying all sorts of foods to see if Butters allergies improved (Nutro lamb and rice seems to be the best, so far.)

Patt
08-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Trixie only gets 1/4 cup food (Innova or Wellness) twice daily. She also has walkies twice a day, to keep the weight down.

Helen
08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Charlie's on Nutro and seems to do really well with it. He gets 1/3 cup twice a day.

Good luck finding something that works for you and HRH!

Jen
08-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Any interest in the raw medallions? Tasha is doing well on those. She gets 1/4 cup evo in the am, and the raw at night, but I know Evo is probably too rich for HRH.

lotsadox
08-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Evo is pretty rich. I've had good luck with the raw medallions. All of the crew really thrive on them and I've gotten Bogart's weight down from 17 lbs :eek: to 12.5 lbs :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: Cash has even gotten down from 17 lbs also to about 15 (still needs to lose a few more). Scooter gets a new kibble I get from my vet (forgot the name :ashamed:) and does well on it, but he's young with no weight problems. :rolleyes: I wish I could say the same of myself!

Jen
08-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Any interest in the raw medallions? Tasha is doing well on those. She gets 1/4 cup evo in the am, and the raw at night, but I know Evo is probably too rich for HRH.

Lisa
08-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Pogo has done fantastic on the medallions. He couldn't take the Evo, he has a super sensitive tummy. He has lost more than 3 lbs on the medallions, and both my guys just adore them.

It doesn't sound like she is getting too much food though, so except for more walkies, not really sure. :scratch:

Patt
08-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Another thought. Possibly her thyroid is off, has she had a thyroid test lately? :scratch:

Lisa
08-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Excellent point Patt!! You would think me of all people would have thought of that! :duh:

Jill
08-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I know you are concerned about giving her less food, but have you thought about maybe giving her less kibble, but adding something such as green beans, peas or brocolli?

I also recommend the medallions. B&R love them and have done great on them. I just recently started them back on some kibble. I am hoping this might take care of some of Reese's anal issues. I tried the Nature's Variety RAW kibble. They also have a BOGO coupon for this.

Rae
09-01-2006, 11:50 AM
I am just not up for RAW, medallions or no. I know that is very popular, and I commend those who feed raw, but due to lack of availability, expense, and general laziness on my part.... we're kibbling.

jenfer
09-01-2006, 11:53 AM
RAW isn't for everyone anyway. Gigi was on madellion for a little while, she loves it. But then she got sick (that was a couple months ago), so no more for her. She is on ID canned and Solid Gold (right name? pink bag).

Pokeys Mom
09-06-2006, 12:26 AM
By all means- health first. Good call Patt!

For what it's worth, Brave Sir Pokey faces the day with a 1/4 cup kibble in the AM and is rewarded for his bravery with a 1/4 cup kibble in the evening. ;)

Please note, he does get commended for his bravery through very small treats throughout the day. In a period long long ago, he received more kibble and was transitioned to less. Days were harsh... nights were long. In the aftermath all was forgetten. (Shhhh! Don't tell him he ate *more*!!)

alfina
09-06-2006, 06:44 AM
I feed Sabrina Solid Gold Holistique Blendz Adult Dog (fish). I found this to be the lowest fat/cal formula in the non-low cal category. They all love it. In fact Sofie and Seb prefers it over Wellness. The kibbles are small sized (flat). She gets 1/4 cup of it twce a day plus pumpkin.

Patt
09-06-2006, 11:30 AM
I feed Sabrina Solid Gold Holistique Blendz Adult Dog (fish). I found this to be the lowest fat/cal formula in the non-low cal category. .:thanx: for the tip Olga. :)