PDA

View Full Version : Favoritism & your dogs

Anatresia
12-22-2005, 12:48 PM
This morning, I woke up at 7 as usual (mind you it's my first day of vacation and I planned on sleeping in) and Rigby came running up to snuggle and give kisses. I greeted her and we hugged for a bit, but then her ADD kicked in and she was off and running after Daddy. Meanwhile, Mr. Fattypants comes out of the covers, tail wagging like crazy to see me (he's never more enthusiastic than he needs to be, so it's exciting when he's happy) and we snuggled.

Then Rigby comes up top speed, pushes him over, and literally lays across my face. It was pleasant for a minute, holding both of them, but she's so pushy she had to keep pressing her neck into my face for kisses and wouldn't let me sleep!

Paul's been on my case lately about my favoritism- I correct Rigby more (I'l often say, "No- go lay down" to her and never to him) and tend to push her away when she wants love. I just hate the way she walks all over Mr. B, and he rarely wants attention and when he does, I love giving it to him, but she always has to come in and ruin things. And she CONSTANTLY wants attention.

She's so sweet and I hate that I don't feel as strong a bond as I do with my boy. I just feel like she's Paul's dog and Butters is mine. It's terrible. I mean, I love her and she's my dog, but Butters is my SON. :D

Does anyone else have a problem with favoritism? I was really inspired to write this because I was looking at Jenfer's thread, and she is so close with Gigi- I wish my "dogter" and I had a better relationship like that!

Lisa
12-22-2005, 01:07 PM
YES! I have often said that Pixel will always have my heart, but Pogo owns my Soul. The love I have for him sometimes worries me (what will happen when he passes away?!?). That is NOT to say I don't adore Pixel, I do. Pixel is hilarious, so friggin' adorable and a total sweetheart - he has actually grown on me a LOT since he first came into our lives. I would say that I love them equally (I could never do the...if you had to choose one of them game), but there is something about Pogo a connection that is overwhelming at times.

I said last night actually, that I am so torn some days because I am so glad that I know what I know now about petstores and puppy mills etc., but on the other hand if I wasn't ignorant about them 4 years ago, he never would have entered my life and that seems so scary to me too. I wish he wasn't a puppy mill dog and I wish I hadn't bought him from a store, but I am thankful every day that he is a part of our lives.

JanUet
12-22-2005, 01:58 PM
YUP! And BOY do I feel guilty admitting it!

Sophie is my little love bug. I guess I am so drawn to her because she is a Rescue ( I don't know what her life was like before she came to me) and I want her to know that I love her so much and would NEVER part with her WILLINGLY!

Casey is pretty much The Family Doxie. He Loves:hearts: everyone. Sophie just sticks to me! (unless someone has food) Sophie is purely mine! She OWNS ME!

Lisa, You saw how she was a the Picnic Meet -Up! When I left the little area we were in to put something away in the car, she followed me to the gate and waited there for my return. She is my wittle Velcro Doxie.

I try to give them equal love and kisses. Casey comes to me for them and I go to Sophie to give hers.

I am the only one Sophie has given kisses to.
Don't get me wrong.....I love my wittle man Casey too.....He just seems to spread his love and Sophie reserves hers for me!

Courtney
12-22-2005, 02:02 PM
This is a big reason why Napoleon is an Only Child. :D I would love to have more dogs and we will someday, but he is so special, so precious, and so totally my little best friend that I know that he is just one in a million. I love fostering because then we get to have a ton of friends around, but then I don't feel bad that Po sleeps in the big bed and they sleep in the xpen.

Yolanda
12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Who me with my 6 pack never? Play favorites. I love all of my kids and they are all very special in their own way.

However, yep, I have to admit I do and the winner is GOOSEMan. He is the only one that sleeps with me now. He was my first rescue and was in such bad shape when he arrived, I was not sure he would survive. Six years later he is 5.5 pound spoiled 16 year old brat.

oceangirls
12-22-2005, 02:20 PM
I would say that I love both equally but we usually joke that Cassie is my girl and Angel is daddy's. Cassie was a little wild thing when she was little (she was always moving and never spent a lot of time with any one person) and she has always been so loud - she whines every morning until she is fed and barks at nothing, etc. But as she has gotten older and calmed down, she has become very interactive and very sweet. Angel has always just wanted to sit on your lap and be loved, but she can be very intense sometimes, and she doesn't like to share attention. So I guess I love them both in different ways - my life would not be complete without either of them.

It's a good question, Tracy. Something to think about. It's not wrong to feel closer to one, since the other one is getting what he/she needs.:hearts:

Goob
12-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I love my two with my entire heart, but yes one has my soul too, that would be my little Snootie. I can't describe what it is she's just my little soul-mate dog. The Prof is loved by all, and is always the "favorite" with our friends and family. Snooter stays close to mom and the Prof is more outgoing and will plop himself down on anybody's lap and gaze up at them. :hearts:

lotsadox
12-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I do have favorites. Miller and Cash are mine. Especially Miller. Probably because he had so many "issues" when I got him and I have worked so hard with him and he's come so far. There is a special bond there. I, too, am harder on Scooter. He's like Rigby, hyper and pushy. I make him stay down so the others can snuggle. He's the new guy and has to learn better manners. Until he can sit on the couch and not push everyone off. He's got to stay on the floor.

Fluffy
12-22-2005, 11:38 PM
I am so glad I'm not the only one who feels guilty about this!! I love both of my dogs dearly, however there is just a special bond between Buddy and I that I have never had before. He was MY first dog (we had family dogs but they always loved Cara), and I think that is why it is so strong. I had him from Feb until August before getting Heidi and I think that has a lot to do with it. He is so affectionate and such a snuggle bunny. Heidi is wonderful, but with her snuggles and kisses are on HER time...not Buddy, anytime I need a hug or a snugglefest, he is right there waiting for me to say when and where. He never used to be a velcro baby to me, he was SUCH a Daddy's boy, but now that Daddy is gone, he's attached to me at the hip...well maybe ankle :lol: Heidi has gotten better about wanting to snuggle and such lately, and I think its because she is getting older. I always feel so guilty and make sure that I don't pay one more attention to the other, but its hard when Heidi doesn't want anything to do with me half the time. She's not really a player, and Buddy LOVES to play. Heidi and I have gotten a lot closer in the last couple of months however so that is good too. I keep saying when the time comes for either of them to cross the bridge, I'm gonna have to be comitted!! They are my world!

Patt
12-23-2005, 12:38 AM
I've played favorites myself with my :angel7: s Dodger & Gretel. I don't see anything wrong with it, each one has their own special needs. Trixie is now Queen of our home and loving every minute of it. She really is Daddy's girl because he dotes on her all the time. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Anatresia
12-23-2005, 08:58 AM
I feel better that it's not just me! It's funny that some of you prefer the dogs with Rigby's personality type (kissy, playful, in your face) while others enjoy a nice, calm Mr. B- just shows you how strong their personalities are!

Otto'sMom
12-24-2005, 09:36 AM
I have favorites. I do love them all immensely, but Otto fixed my heart when it was broken. Dolly is my favorite girl, and Buddy is my favorite big dog. Grrrt is my favorite Senior, and Austin is my favorite Monkey.:hearts: :hearts:

Mama S.
12-25-2005, 06:20 PM
RAISING HAND - hollering I DO TOO. :ashamed: Hershey. My heart, my soul, my very being. I have 8 - each with different personalities - I love them all but can actually cry just when talking about my Hershey! Guess it's not hard to figure when you look at ow many photos' of him you've seen versus everyone else. Just love that lil spotted baby!
Sandi

SusanF
12-26-2005, 08:47 PM
I know I often sem to favor Ilsa over Apollo. Part of it is that Apollo is a Sheltie and 20lbs heavier than Ilsa and not a lap dog. He's not cuddly and kissy like Ilsa. I have always had dachsies and wasn't sure I could embrace another breed but I find myself with a very special place in my heart for Apollo. He is a rescue and I have always felt such sadness that he wasn't loved. I get joy outof seeing how close Paul is to him and how much they ahve bonded. He is a sweetheart...Paul too!

Frzframe
12-28-2005, 02:08 AM
Mitzi is my first dog that I've personally owned. Even though I got her when I was living with my folks and she slept with my mother (rotten dog that she is) on weekdays and with me on the weekends (dad was home and she was banished to my room which she didn't like). But, she has totally in the palm of her paw. She just has so much personality and loves everyone. Dudley while I do love him he's just kinda here and doesn't have much of a personality except when he's obsessing over balls or squirrels.