PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe it....

areese
09-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Steve Irwin (crocodile hunter) has died. I know some people don't like him but I always loved his enthusiasm and passion for conservation of animals. Any grown man who bursts into tears on tv over his dog's accidental death years before has my respect, anyway.
I'm really sad....and sad for his wife and little kids.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html

Lisa
09-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Oh My! That is so sad, I just heard it on the news. :sosad:

Alex's Mom
09-04-2006, 08:13 AM
I heard that first thing this morning too...very sad...although I suppose he died in a way that he would have wanted to...

Anatresia
09-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Awwww! I liked watching his shows- the first time we saw one, we were cracking up 'cause he's so crazy and got so close to the animals.

I guess it was only a matter of time... I would've figured a croc would get him, though.

JanUet
09-04-2006, 09:18 AM
I am in total :shocked:

Here is a blurb that was posted on Rogers yahoo.

Steve Irwin, the ebullient Australian TV personality and conservationist known as the Crocodile Hunter, was killed Monday by a stingray barb to the heart during a diving expedition, police and his wildlife park said.

He died doing what he loved to do. :sosad:

Otto'sMom
09-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I loved him, loved his show and admired his enthusiasm. I heard on CNN he was filming a segment for the kid's show he does and it's believed that the sting ray pierced his heart:shocked:
Lesson I learned from his death: Doing things for children will get you stabbed in the heart.

Jen
09-04-2006, 09:40 AM
LOL Andrea, too true.

I saw this on the front page of the Times online and am so surprised it was, of all things, a stingray! A freak thing to get pierced in the heart. I feel so bad for the wife and kids....I'm sure she's been dreading this day for years.

AgileOllie
09-04-2006, 10:07 AM
I know!! I am so saddened by this. Funny, I only know him from TV, but he's like an icon. I'm so sad that he's gone. I also feel sorry for his kids and wife.

sooo sad.

blueyezz74
09-04-2006, 10:16 AM
I just heard about this on another board. I'm actually teary eyed. His poor Wife, Teri, and kids.

catstamm
09-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow :shocked: Very sad......But, he did live life to the fullest....and I'm sure he wouldn't have done anything different :angel7:

Patt
09-04-2006, 12:22 PM
:sosad: I heard this last night. It was hard to believe this accident could happen to him. :sad1:

Da Brat
09-04-2006, 12:54 PM
OMG.. I loved watching him! I look up to him in so many ways! He loved wildlife in a way so few could ever dream! Yeah, he was a bit cooky in how he did things, but he was genuine, and that's what I loved most! I simply cannot believe he's gone!! :sosad: :sosad: :sosad:

lizzieb38
09-04-2006, 01:11 PM
:sosad: :shocked: I heard it real early this am. Is so strange that it was a stingray, but it's definitely a freak accident. Feel bad for Terry and his little kids. "Crikey!" the world without Steve Irwin seems unreal.

Tex
09-04-2006, 01:28 PM
OMG I hadn't heard this 'til I logged on to the DLC this morning!!!! Thanks for posting about this. :sosad:

Frzframe
09-04-2006, 01:34 PM
My mom called to ask if I had heard the news. :( I really liked him and learned so much from watching his shows. I really feel bad for all those who worked with and for him at his zoo and esp. his wife, Terri and Bindi and little Bob. :sosad:

mydachsies
09-04-2006, 03:40 PM
My Dh called me this morning when he found out. I was like :shocked: .As soon as I turned on the t.v. I saw it for myself.:sosad:

oceangirls
09-04-2006, 03:57 PM
That's a shame. I didn't watch him regularly, but admired his passion for what he did and he seemed like a good guy :(

Pierced by a stingray... I may never go in the ocean again! :faint:

areese
09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Wow :shocked: Very sad......But, he did live life to the fullest....and I'm sure he wouldn't have done anything different :angel7:

I am sure you are right, Cat. He surely lived a lot of life in 44 years....and died quickly. I feel so bad for his wife and kids...esp his little girl who adored him so much.
I've never felt this bad about a person dying that I don't really know personally. I've just admired him and enjoyed watching him for years...

Bella's Mom
09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
I just heard it on the news myself. Such a sad ending. I enjoyed watching his shows and I feel for his family.

Teddysmom
09-04-2006, 08:53 PM
I heard about it this morning as well and I wanted to cry. My family used to purposely look on the tv lineup at night to see if he was going to be on; we loved watching him. My kids are pretty much devastated now and my 6 year old is in tears asking if they will still show any of Steve's "old" shows. I feel for Teri and the kids; but he was doing what he loved to do and probably would not have wanted to go any other way. :sosad: :sad1: :sad3:
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:s for his family and especially the kids.

Patt
09-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Tonight on the Larry King show was his last interview with Steve Irwin.
Tuesday night will be a special on Steve. :sosad:

HotDogMama
09-05-2006, 06:47 AM
The news just said that there is video of him pulling the posinous barb out of his chest just before he passed, and that the police are holding it for evidence, so apprently he knew what happened to him, I agree that he wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm glad that it wasn't a croc that did it, since that would have been the obvious choice for most of the loudmouths that didn't like him. :candle:

quavec
09-05-2006, 11:21 AM
We heard it yesterday morning and were glued to the TV. So sad for his family. :sosad: I called the kids in to let them know. They loved him. Both will holler 'Crikey' at the oddest moments. I agree with so many others - he died after living life to the very fullest and showing so many the beauty of animals. He would not have wanted to go any other way, I'm sure. I hope his wife continues on his tradition of educating kids and adults about animals and conservationism. IMO, those two knew the balance between urban growth and conserving wildlife. They weren't fanatical, just cautious.

Patt
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
The news just said that there is video of him pulling the posinous barb out of his chest just before he passed, and that the police are holding it for evidence, :candle:I saw an article about that video. Last night on TV a reporter asked John Stainton, Irwin's manager and close friend about that and wanted to know if it was true. He told the reporter that was "hog wash" and was horrified that the reporter would ask such a question. He also said he would not watch the video of the dive. I guess in time we'll find out if that was on the video or if it is really media hype.

I saw his life incredible life story on Animal Planet. He has done so much for conservation, :sosad: he is gone forever.

areese
09-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I saw an article about that video. Last night on TV a reporter asked John Stainton, Irwin's manager and close friend about that and wanted to know if it was true. He told the reporter that was "hog wash" and was horrified that the reporter would ask such a question. He also said he would not watch the video of the dive. I guess in time we'll find out if that was on the video or if it is really media hype.

I saw his life incredible life story on Animal Planet. He has done so much for conservation, :sosad: he is gone forever.

I just saw John Stainton on CNN say that he watched the video and saw Steve pull the barb out and then die. Said it was horribly upsetting to watch.
They opened his zoo today. People are there crying and writing messages at a sort of shrine there. His death has surely affected a great many people and I feel that the world is worse off now that he isn't in it.
I bet Steve would like to go to the Rainbow bridge with all the animals...and they would welcome him there...

Patt
09-05-2006, 06:29 PM
I just saw John Stainton on CNN say that he watched the video and saw Steve pull the barb out and then die. Said it was horribly upsetting to watch.
... During the phone interview he was too upset and said he would not watch it, obviously he changed his mind. Thanks for keeping me updated!! I agree I think he would be most welcome at the bridge, I'm sure his favorite dog was waiting for him. :pray:

areese
09-05-2006, 06:58 PM
During the phone interview he was too upset and said he would not watch it, obviously he changed his mind. Thanks for keeping me updated!! I agree I think he would be most welcome at the bridge, I'm sure his favorite dog was waiting for him. :pray:

I can't imagine watching a video of a friend's death... but at least he knows he didn't suffer as it was very quick. He prob. felt he had to watch it, to keep the record straight and for rumor control. He is so sad...
I always thought I'd meet Steve some day :(

Laurie' s Dachshunds
09-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I was on the cell yesterday a.m. with my sister, driving to work & she asked if I had the radio on. I said no & asked why. And she told me she just heard the news on the radio.