PDA

View Full Version : Pippit/Ron Questions

K2
09-04-2006, 05:19 PM
I took a 2 year leave of absence from men(if you don't count the month where Ron and I dated back last October) anyway, I have had Pippit for 2 years and 2 months.

With most people, I know that he thinks is alpha over them(eventhough he is positively terrified of them) But here are some things I've never seen before but I see it when Ron is here:

When I leave the room, Pippit usually follows me. When Ron is here, Pippit will jump up on him and sit in his lap until I get back. Ron thinks Pippit is scared of something(like me not coming back)

When anyone hugs or kisses me, Pippit will bark at them. He won't do anything, but he will bark and let you know he does not like that. He doesn't bark at all when Ron and I hug and kiss.

Pippit stays in the bedroom when I'm gone. When Ron and I are here and going out, I get everything ready in the bedroom and call Pippit. He will run over to where Ron is and sit by his feet, ears flattened. If I have Ron come into the bedroom and call him, he'll come.

I'm thinking that Pippit thinks Ron is the alpha(is that good or bad?) Will Pippit think he is taking my place or something? Should I do something????

lotsadox
09-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Hmmm. . . not sure what Pippit is thinking. I think it sounds okay. It sounds like he's accepting Ron which is good. When Ron isn't there does he revert to his old behaviour or does he act differently than he used to? :scratch: Like does he run in the bedroom when you're leaving like he used to or does he hang back?

Anatresia
09-04-2006, 07:14 PM
That's interesting behavior. It's great that he likes Ron so much! I bet it's an alpha thing- my two know Paul is the number one Alpha and they pretty much hang on him and lay all over him when he's home, but are my shadows the rest of the time.

(Actually, Mr. Butters is usually always with me, but Rigby does that with Paul.)

Bella's Mom
09-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Not sure why Pippit is doing it but glad to hear he & Ron are getting along. You know...love me love my dog...

Tex
09-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Sorry I have no great advice here either, but it does sound like Ron and Pippit are gettin' along well, which is awesome!

Jen
09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Was Pippit ever abused by a man? Tasha is MUCH more deferential to DH, he's clearly #1, no matter how much I work with her on status and obedience. We're not sure if her mistreatment in her first home had something to do with this, but suspect it might.

Chris
09-04-2006, 08:34 PM
I think its because Ron genuinely likes and is comfortable with Pippit and Pups can tell when a guy only is interested in mommy and only tolerates the pupster or pretends. And I think maybe Pippit likes the atitude you have when Ron is around. Pippit also can sense that Ron is not a guy you feel weirded out around or uncomfortable with and that Ron would never hurt mommy. So he doesn't need to protect mommy.

Patt
09-04-2006, 10:41 PM
My :twocents: It sounds as if Pippit is demonstrating a little rebelliousness. It’s good that he likes Ron, but you should be his unchallenged pack leader. Perhaps when Ron is around, you start to exude a little nervous energy that Pippit picks up. Ron may just be demonstrating a more calm and assertive attitude Pippit interprets as “alpha.”

When Pippit refuses to come into the bedroom when you call, get out your leash and lead him in. Don’t rely upon Ron to do it that signals to Pippit he is definitely the pack leader whenever he is around.

Chris
09-04-2006, 10:43 PM
oh i didn't pick up on the fact or read for some reason that Pippit was totally ditching you. I just was reading into the fact that he liked to socialize with Ron and wasn't barking his head off at him.

K2
09-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll try the leash Patt(I figured it was something that I shouldn't allow to happen)

Jen~Pippit was abused by a man before(which is why I'm always afraid of what his reaction will be)

And I know that Ron does genuinely like Pippit. We talked about Pippit on the phone last night and Ron was asking alll kinds of dachshund questions(how do you say the name right, different colors, do they all act like Pippit:rotfl: , etc)

Rae
09-05-2006, 08:47 AM
HOLD UP!!! YOU HAVE BEEN KISSING THIS MAN?

how is it? :evilgrin: you know we old married folk love to live vicariously through you folks who are still dating...

glad Pippit likes Ron and am sure you will have them BOTH lined out as to who is in charge before you know it.

lizzieb38
09-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Sorry I have no great advice here either, but it does sound like Ron and Pippit are gettin' along well, which is awesome!

:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: